Spooling turbo in 2nd gear, downshift to first on launch? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
Spooling turbo in 2nd gear, downshift to first on launch?

Obviously as we all know turbos are load dependent so I was messing around the other day in my car and was kinda shocked when I was able to see 10 pounds of boost in 2nd gear foot braking at like 2200 rpms.

Anyone else ever try this?

I cant built any boost footbraking in first gear cause my rear tires just break loose but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried building boost in 2nd gear and then shifting into first on launch?

My car is auto so I could slap it from 2nd into drive right as I launch and I would think it would hold the boost and shift into first without hurting anything.

Im kinda scared to try it but theoretically I dont see how it would be any worse than the car downshifting into first gear at WOT at low speeds anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinschmidt1 View Post
Obviously as we all know turbos are load dependent so I was messing around the other day in my car and was kinda shocked when I was able to see 10 pounds of boost in 2nd gear foot braking at like 2200 rpms.

Anyone else ever try this?

I cant built any boost footbraking in first gear cause my rear tires just break loose but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried building boost in 2nd gear and then shifting into first on launch?

My car is auto so I could slap it from 2nd into drive right as I launch and I would think it would hold the boost and shift into first without hurting anything.

Im kinda scared to try it but theoretically I dont see how it would be any worse than the car downshifting into first gear at WOT at low speeds anyway.
If you don't think it will hurt anything, than why are you afraid?

I use to do this in my old turbo fox before I bought a tremec 3550. It's really what your suppose to do. Bitch left hard as ####.

Do it and report back to us.

post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Lol, Im afraid cause I just rebuilt most of this car for the past few months, dont wanna grenade my trans....

curious of this was a common thing to do?

Ive never really heard of anyone doing it to be honest...people just run trans brakes, two steps, etc.

I may test it out on low boost just to see how it feels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Trans brake would be the best way for you to go man it's like revving it way the hell up in N then dropping it straight down to 1st with it floored. if it's already in a gear no problem cause it already has fluid pressure in that circut but dropping a gear with that much load will probably kill your trans.

I'm not a magazine racer, my car is actually fast.
I also have a Honda civic but, mine has a bigger, uglier driver.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Yea, transbrake is just not an option for me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement