Ford Mustang Forums banner

How many miles on your ON3 turbo?

9K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Gearhead559 
#1 ·
Think the company is still new enough to where I could not find any ino on google about this. Im thinking about getting their 76mm ball bearing turbo and from what I have read about them the only people that don't like them are people that have never ran them. Kinda like the only people that don't like Nitrous and think it will blow up their engine is people that have never used Nitrous.

Please post up........

What size MM you have?
Wat kind of wheel, regular or billit wheel?
Standard journal or Ball Bearing?
How many miles on the turbo?
How many months or years are on it?

Looking forward to seeing some posts/info about this. Thanks, David.

#2 ·
The ceramic ball bearing turbo has really only been out for around a little over a year now. Its a popular turbo for builds and we sell a lot, we have them on Mustangs, Camaro's, trucks, boats, you name it. I have a lot of guys in the ls market that run them and not sure how many guys on here that have been running the cbb line. Both of my cars I drive on the street regularly just have the 70mm On 3 journal turbo. My 02 gt has ran it since 08 when I built the first 2v kit and has over 20,000 miles on it. My notch that Im finishing up now is going to get a fair amount of street driving and does have the cbb 76 on it but no real numbers on that car as its just finishing up. Same goes for the shop 2011, we are running our cbb On 3 60's on it.

This is a custom car thats just finishing his build with the On 3 76cbb. I think he is making in the mid 600 wheel range right now and coming from our journal 70. Its a 5 second car in the 1/8. Ill try and dig up some other info from customers or have anyone post if I think of anyone

#3 ·
I have 70mm turbo.
8000 miles
2 years

I was having issues with exhaust smoking due to oil blowing through turbo seal. The supplied oil drain with the kit, was way to small I upgraded to 5/8 line and fittings. Problem solved.

#6 ·
So I plan on using the MMR HO pump & pickup with billit gears in a MMR 900 or 1000 longblock, what would I need to use on the 76mm BB turbo? A restrictor with a upgraded drain hose? Or just a restrictor and the supplied hose that comes with the kit?

#9 ·
I have a lot of different an and push lock stuff in stock now. So if you were to purchase, we can upgrade you to a -10 braided drain kit or do a -10 push lock. I just did the -10 push lock on my 4v notch and turned out really nice. We have built in restrictors on the feed plate to the turbo. So the standard oil line with all kits will work with the cbb turbos

#7 ·
I have the upgraded MMR Racing Oil Pump and went with a 5/8" drain plug too from the beginning to be safe. No smoking issues but I only have 300 miles on it so far. A new plug is only a few dollars from the hardware store though.

#8 ·
I have the original kit. Idk what size drain comes with the new kit. Just make sure it's 5/8 line and fittings. Then you"ll be fine. I don't see a need for a restrictor. As long as drain is big enough. I do know some bb turbo's require a restrictor.

#10 ·
I had a 70mm journal bearing On3 turbo on mine for about 1000 miles

But a random piece of metal from On3 hot side came loose and went through the turbo, ruining it.

#12 ·
i have a 70mm journal bearing style that i've run for about 6 months 2000miles with 0 problems. was running 20lbs of boost. recently turned it down to 10lbs. works great. best bang for the buck in my oppinion

#16 ·
I have the ball bearing On3 76mm with 0.96 exhaust. Using it in a standard 4.6 2v On3 kit (not forward facing). Stock exhaust manifolds. I've been running it for only a few months, maybe 4000 miles or so. So far so good. Its never been run at less than 20lbs of boost, and I generally give it at least one WOT pull every time I drive it. Currently at around 23lbs of boost, just under 700whp SAE on a Dynojet on E85 fuel.

I wouldn't mind a little better spool. I can see 20lbs by about 4200rpm in 3rd gear with 3.27s if there's a little heat in the exhaust. I shift anywhere from 6000-6500 depending on my mood.

#19 ·
if the motor isnt stock(ie high pressure or high volume oil pump) go with the larger drain hose.

i prefer using the braided line (due to all the heat) and still put thermal heat sleeve over it just to be on the safe side

i have heard storys of the early turbos(journal bearing stuff) and have a few laying around the shop. but i have not heard a thing bad on the cbb stuff since they have came out. and like chad said, ALOT of people use them.. think of them as the same thing as MP turbos.

IIRC, hes out of the 76mm cbb currently anyhow, get in line...lol

#21 ·
Yep. In fact mine's been running long enough to wipe out the clutch and then kill the transmission after I upgraded the clutch. :lol:

#22 ·
im running the gen1 kit its about 3 years old, probably have about 1500 miles on. Just finally got everything tuned. (car was on hold for 18 months) I daily drive on 8lbs now. Probably going to upgrade the drain line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.