Ford Mustang Forums banner

The Ultimate No leak on3 Turbo Kit Guide

38K views 145 replies 48 participants last post by  CamFox 
#1 · (Edited)
The "Ultimate" No leak on3 Turbo Kit Guide

First of all, this is not serious but this is how I and others have dealt with on3 turbo kit v band leaks and it seems to be the best way to go about it.

The biggest issue I found with my v bands is that the clamping area is actually too damn large besides the clamps are just low quality.

Fix: Buy 2.5 inch V band clamps from V-Band assemblies, V-Band Clamp, RPS-V-clamp | RacePartSolutions.com

Total cost with coupon code 0001 (10% off) and shipping= Under $60.00

Wonder which one is which :)

Take notice of the clamping zone, the RPS ones are much smaller and actually clamp the connections tight like they should be.

Great, now that you have better v band clamps you may even be able to get away with some rtv copper silicone but unfortunately you may need gaskets like I did.

There are many types of gaskets but due to the extreme temps and pressure you really need something that will hold.

Modularspeed told me that these gaskets have held for him so that is what I went with.

OBX Gasket Downpipe 3 Bolt 2.5" w/ Metal Ring | eBay

I bought them and cut the tabs off to get this.

I also located a cheaper source...so instead of 16 on ebay they are 9 here:
OBX Gasket Downpipe 3 Bolt 2.5'' w/ Metal Ring - Part Number: N/A - Sparktec Motorsports

I ordered them and got them from cali to Delaware in 5 days.

I installed them with the new clamps, dry, and have no leaking issues as far as I can tell. Time will tell how they hold up.

If you do all this and still have issues you could pick up some of this stuff.

Some people have actually used just this stuff with no gaskets but it didnt seem like a very good solution to me.

Anyways, hopefully his can help some on3 guys with leaks since it seems to be a universal problem for us.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea, figured I would make one so there isnt 1000 on3 v band leak threads.

I talked to chad about his gaskets and actually bought a few of them from him to check em out.

Not sure what material they are, probably the graphite stuff but I was gonna try them out for him to see how they held up.

I told him he should include them with the kits and he said he may include them or at the very least have them as an option for people to buy with the kits.

I just know they need something in there if they ever plan on using the stock v band clamps.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for your awesome insightful post filled with great knowledge!

Re-read my original post.

Great, now that you have better v band clamps you may even be able to get away with some rtv copper silicone but unfortunately you may need gaskets like I did.
Do you think I or anyone else using gaskets doesn't know this? The problem is if they dont seal, your gonna need something in there to fix the problem if your not willing to weld all new flanges on.

No #### they are a "band aid"....but If I can spend 30 bucks on some gaskets and they will work for years I am fine with this band aid.

If the gaskets wont hold and blow out every 2 days then that is when I would move on to some new v band flanges but until that is the case, this seems like the best way to get by.

Honestly, If I would have known these wouldnt seal right without gaskets I would have had some higher quality v bands welded on when the kit was off the car.

Unfortunately I am not pulling this whole kit off the car now if I can make it work with a few gaskets and figured this could help some others in the same situation.

Regardless of how v bands are designed to work, gaskets are used everywhere else on cars and arent considered band aids there.

#14 ·
Thanks for your awesome insightful post filled with great knowledge!

Re-read my original post.

Do you think I or anyone else using gaskets doesn't know this? The problem is if they dont seal, your gonna need something in there to fix the problem if your not willing to weld all new flanges on.
A little mad you bought cheap #### to start with..... gotcha.:shakehead

Its called cut them off and weld the proper ones on there.

#7 ·
Is this for all On3 kits?...I dont think mine are leaking yet..i have a fox body kit...

#21 ·
im happy with mine. i get by with better clamps and rtv. the original ones stripped when you tightened bolt tight.

#27 ·
Yeah cheapest option for us Modular guys besides ON3 is Hellion which is $4,000 more expensive than the ON3 kit so I will be happy to buy a tube or 2 of gasket sealent, a couple clamps, and a couple gaskets totaling less than $100

#35 ·
Still not seeing the correlation. When does a time in someones sig exactly relate to thier knowledge of racing?

I will answer...... it doesnt. You have no idea what was done to run those times,when those times were ran,or what car it was that even ran times.:rolleyes:

#51 ·
I don't care. Your slow on and off the track.

Again, if you don't like on3 stay out of my thread.
Really you drive a 2 valve. You know the laughing stock of motors in the performance world and you're calling someone slow. :rofl::rofl:

Second it doesnt matter if its on3 or hellion or whoever. If the vbands leak the proper way to fix is to reweld new ones and make sure they are flat.

No gasket is needed.

#37 ·
I think this is getting way off topic. I think the best thing to do is ignore him. I have a $2000 turbo kit that I had to put about $100 more into to get it to work just as good as a $4k kit. Im happy. That's all I care about.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#45 ·
I bought a full set of THESE gaskets. They're designed specifically for V-Bands and they're much cheaper than those you posted. I'll let you know later this week how they hold.

V-band Sealing Gasket, 2.5" - 034 MOTORSPORT

#46 ·
They don't work very well. Any little bit of exhaust gas that touches them melts them right away. They may work ok if you make 100% sure they are centered on the flange when you tighten them. the 3 bolt flange gasket from race part solutions is only like 4 bucks I think. They work lots better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.