Leaning towards Turbo over Supercharger - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (87)
Garage
Leaning towards Turbo over Supercharger

I have a quick question. When I first bought my 89 coupe my goal was a turbo build. I've had lots of Mustangs but never had a turbo car. Plus my Powerstroke and my wife's GTI are both turbo so I might as well complete the family lol!!

Anyway, I picked up a Vortech S-trim because I got a SMOKIN deal. So I have been researching and preparing for the S-trim install. Thought I might as well install it since I got such a good deal on it. But deep down I really still want a turbo car, and just keep going back to going that route. I've read up on turbos till I'm blue in the face but there are about 10,000 different opinions on whats good and whats not.

I'll probably run it on the stock motor for now, and then build a motor later down the road, just like my plan was with the S-trim.

I have my S-trim kit I would sell, along with the long tubes, and h-pipe, that would help offset the cost of a turbo kit.

As the car sits now:

Stock motor from pan to throttle body
5-spd
Auburn Pro rear with 4.10's (will definitely be changing if I go with boost)
Steeda Tri-ax shifter
Through the floor subframes
Torque boxes welded up
Pick-up tube in factory tank
MagnaFuel Pro-Tuner 750 pump
Aeromotive 10 and 100 micron filters
Aeromotive regulator, Y-block, and lines

On the shelf in the garage
Vortech V2 S-trim (7" crank pulley, 3.33 supercharger pulley)
Anderson Power Pipe
Mallory fuel rails
36# injectors

The car is not a daily driver but will be driven quite a bit on the street, with some track time mixed in

I guess I'm wanting to know opinions on Turbo vs Supercharger. Seems to me the power and efficiency of the turbo setup makes it a better choice. I don't mind waiting to save up the $$$ to get a kit that is proven and will last. I'm really not interested in saving some money up front if it just causes problems in the future. Any ideas, tips, suggestions, or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by TxFireman1972; 06-18-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
It would be hard not to do supercharger if you already have it and it's an easier install.

The turbo route is bound to make good power but be ready to work out some bugs like the extra heat and random other problems that you don't see until it is too late.

I'm a water pump leak and injector swap away and I've been slaving over mine every spare moment for a few months.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
I did decide to go with the supercharger

https://forums.corral.net/forums/supe...l#post11023843
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
For what you'll be using your car for, I think you made a good choice. Turbo power is sweet, but comes with a couple headaches, like pipe routing and heat. Any plans for an intercooler?

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
post #5 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
No intercooler plans for now. Who knows down the road lol
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (43)
Turbos are more efficent, make better power and help driveability issues. But its your car.

Precision 67mm turbo, this and that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Garage
Well I had the supercharger already. And couldn't find anyone serious about buying, or anyone that actually had money. So I'm putting it on for now. Still want to go turbo at some point.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
Well I had the supercharger already. And couldn't find anyone serious about buying, or anyone that actually had money. So I'm putting it on for now. Still want to go turbo at some point.
Nothing wrong with that. I'd do the same thing if I were you. I just finished my home build turbo kit and deep down wish I had either bought a nice blower kit or paid to have someone else do the turbo on my car.

They say what goes up must come down but I ain't reached my cruising altitude.
Take a look at what I did but can you imagine what I'm about to do.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewhite88pony View Post
Turbos are more efficent, make better power and help driveability issues. But its your car.
None of my SC combos had any drive ability issues. Heck non even had any fancy tuning approaches.

Sent from my iPad Nano

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement