Help with on3 vbands/ clamps? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
Help with on3 vbands/ clamps?

Ok so here I am trying to get rid of on3 turbo kit leaks of course.....

kit is leaking like crazy, was leaking from all 3 v band connections.

I took all 3 off, put a good bead of rtv on em, let em sit, cure, w/e, tightened down the clamps in stages, finally started it up and it was pretty solid, no leaks or very minimal leaking.

I took it out, car felt better than it had ever felt and by the time I got home it was leaking like crazy again.

My v band clamps are bottoming out before they seem to actually pull the things in tight.

So my question is when everyone says replace v bands, are they saying replace the whole v band assembly, as in weld new connections on or would I be ok with just buying better v band clamps?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
P.i.t.a but you could try belt sanding the ends of each one

92 Notch, 347 H/C/I
post #3 of 37 Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
ive always had to flatten them (ie run them on a belt sander before installing) and a light coat of ultra copper rtv, let it cure for a few minutes and then install every thing. so far i have not had a issue with them leaking

I am on3 dealer. message me for some killer deals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I just installed mine and a buddy suggested I use the universal 3-hole exhaust gaskets. Just trim off the tabs and slip the remaining circular gasket in between each pipe connection .... then clamp down the V-Bands. His doesn't leak at all ... I'll find out when I fire mine up tomorrow!

1965 AC Cobra 427SC Replica [Carb Edelbrock 306ci SBF, 1980lbs]
2001 Mustang GT - [645WHP, 652TQ][MMR900 + Trick Flow Heads + Intake][ON3 Turbo @ 14psi]
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee HEMI, 2006 Infiniti G35, 2012 Honda CRV EXL [The Daily Drivers!]
post #5 of 37 Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, yea, that could work, I actually ordered some v band aluminum gaskets to see if they would work...probably will just blow out in 10 minutes lol.

Is it worth it to buy better V band clamps?

I think I have the newer style "better" v band clamps that on3 was providing, just they dont seem to work that well lol.
post #6 of 37 Old 06-16-2012, 10:19 AM

When you say they are bottoming out, I think you can pull the bolt and and buzz it down. That will help getting it tight. Them not being flat is another story
post #7 of 37 Old 06-16-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

By bottoming out I mean the actual clamp will not close any farther because those 2 points facing us meet.

post #8 of 37 Old 06-17-2012, 01:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
the three bolt gaskets work great and I also went with some different v-bands from race parts solutions just the v-band not the flanges, 76mm on a 4v forward facing kit from 0n3 making 600 rwhp, just used their piping all tial blow-off and 44mm wastegate and a custom turbo from reed at work turbochargers the thing is an animal on the street
post #9 of 37 Old 06-17-2012, 04:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinschmidt1 View Post
By bottoming out I mean the actual clamp will not close any farther because those 2 points facing us meet.

Can you post a picture of your pipe with the clamp bottoming out? Not all v-band clamps are the same. There are a few different lengths to the bottom portion as well as angle of the sides. I am thinking that your 3" flanges are very thin and the clamp is basically maxing out and cannot properly mate the sealing surfaces.

If you have a napa industrial store near by, they carry v-band clamps. You can get one of their Donaldson catalogs and get a clamp with a narrower lower portion. That should do the trick. If you can post a picture of your clamp and also of the flange surface, I may be able to get you a part number for the correct v-band clamp.

Lawrence
post #10 of 37 Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Twintrbo View Post
Can you post a picture of your pipe with the clamp bottoming out? Not all v-band clamps are the same. There are a few different lengths to the bottom portion as well as angle of the sides. I am thinking that your 3" flanges are very thin and the clamp is basically maxing out and cannot properly mate the sealing surfaces.

If you have a napa industrial store near by, they carry v-band clamps. You can get one of their Donaldson catalogs and get a clamp with a narrower lower portion. That should do the trick. If you can post a picture of your clamp and also of the flange surface, I may be able to get you a part number for the correct v-band clamp.

Lawrence

That would most definitely help a lot, I actually cut up a normal exhaust down pipe gasket and wedged it in there and the clamps felt a lot better/ tighter with 1/8 gasket in there.

It appears that the v band clamps arent even getting tight so I can crank them down till they cant go anymore before there is even enough clamping force to seal the system.

Im pretty sure they are 2.5 inch flanges and clamps also.....I do not have an industrial napa close to me but I do have a shop that sells vibrant v band clamps....maybe those are worth a try?

A lot of people seem to have good luck when upgrading just the clamps to some better quality ones like the racepartsolutions ones.

post #11 of 37 Old 06-17-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp cobra View Post
the three bolt gaskets work great and I also went with some different v-bands from race parts solutions just the v-band not the flanges, 76mm on a 4v forward facing kit from 0n3 making 600 rwhp, just used their piping all tial blow-off and 44mm wastegate and a custom turbo from reed at work turbochargers the thing is an animal on the street
Which three bolt gaskets are you using?

I actually bought some mrseal 3 bolt gaskets and cut it up to make it work for the v band yesterday, they helped quite a bit im just worried about longevity. Its like a graphite material reinforced with steel.

I also ordered some aluminum v band gaskets online and saw someone recommend the SS ones on ebay.

The gaskets definitely seal but im worried that they will blow out ever week.
post #12 of 37 Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (32)
The aluminum gaskets on ebay are junk! I got all my leaks stopped using the v-band clamps from race part solutions and also used his flange gaskets (trimmed down). The flange gaskets are nice and thick and seal up really well. I also got a tub of turbo flange sealant from summit and coated the gaskets in it before I slid them in. Also another trick, tiighten a little then tap it with a hammer and tighten a little more and tap again. repeat till the clamp is tight. Here are the links to what I used
V-Band assemblies, V-Band Clamp, RPS-V-clamp | RacePartSolutions.com
Exhaust System Accessories, 2.50" Steel 3 Bolt Exhaust Flange & Gasket, RPS-2.5x3BOLT | RacePartSolutions.com
Design Engineering DEI 090400 - DEI SPA Turbo USA Gasket Eliminator and Flange Sealant - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Use code 0001 at checkout on race parts solutions for 10% off.

bone stock Bright Atlantic Blue 98gt
post #13 of 37 Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 PM

I also tried the 3 bolt flange gaskets from the local parts houses and they burned right up. I guess because they didnt have the metal ring in the middle.

post #14 of 37 Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
Here is what I used, and they worked great. Took about an hour to trim them, loosen clamps, slip in, and tighten.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Gasket-D...731906&vxp=mtr

The same ones I used, are still on the other car that got my kit....and it has a substantial amount of mileage on it, and runs bottom 10's on 13 psi.

I emailed them, and saved a few bucks by ordering 3.

2015 S550 GT - 2.3 TVS Powered on 17" Radials
Stock Trans / Stock Converter / 1.28 Sixties
[email protected] Boost --- ([email protected] Boost/Spray)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ModularSpeed; 06-17-2012 at 11:18 PM.
post #15 of 37 Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys that's exactly what I needed...ruffled, were the v band clamps noticeably better?

The ones I got with the kit seem to work with a gasket in there

Mod speed, how thick were those gaskets you used?

Last edited by justinschmidt1; 06-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
post #16 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 AM

I used one of the obx gaskets also. They are about half the thickness of the ones from rps. But they work also. There is a night and day difference in the quality of the clamps he sells vs the chinese clamps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

post #17 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

gotcha, so it would be worth it to pick up some better clamps than.

Those clamps you have actually get tight?
post #18 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Yeah. They tighten up nice and snug

post #19 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

thanks, looks like I may have to buy some clamps too if thats the case lol
post #20 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 04:02 PM

His are made by 5 star. I checked around and he has the best price and fastest shipping. The guys on yellow bullet and turbo forums swear by him when it comes to fabrication parts

post #21 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffledfeathers View Post
His are made by 5 star. I checked around and he has the best price and fastest shipping. The guys on yellow bullet and turbo forums swear by him when it comes to fabrication parts

Lol the ones that came with my kit look identical to whats shown on his site though....I heard on3 was sending better clamps out but maybe not....
post #22 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 PM

When did you get your kit? I got mine in march. They look the same in the pic. I wish I would have taken a pic showing the difference. The clamping area where it pulls the v-band together is much tighter on the 5 star clamps.

post #23 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffledfeathers View Post
When did you get your kit? I got mine in march. They look the same in the pic. I wish I would have taken a pic showing the difference. The clamping area where it pulls the v-band together is much tighter on the 5 star clamps.

umm, probably april or may.

but yea, if that clamping area is much tighter im sure that will help a lot....that seems to be the issue with mine, almost feel like the clamping area is way too large, it took an 1/8 gasket to even make it feel tight.

With no gasket it just bottoms out before it ever gets tight.

Im gonna order 3 of those v band clamps now.
post #24 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM

I still used the gaskets. Depending on how warped your flanges are you may not need them.

post #25 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Ya ill just use the gaskets for peace of mind at this point
post #26 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 PM

heres the problem I had. New v-bands wont fix this!

I'm not a magazine racer, my car is actually fast.
I also have a Honda civic but, mine has a bigger, uglier driver.
post #27 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM

the lower flange is too big and when I tightened the v-band, the clamp pulled the two halves flush with one another in one spot and then like slut magic, a big gap appeared. Can't be too disappointed for the price though.

post #28 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 PM

I thought I had a problem with mine not lining up. Then one day I decided to see what had to be cut and re-welded. I unhooked the down pipe and kept moving it around and eventually got it to line up without cutting anything. not saying thats the case with yours nasty92lx. just putting that out there incase anyone else runs into the same problem.

post #29 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 PM

yeah I had to massage my downpipe a little to clear the #4 primary tube at the back of the engine. I was told motor mounts, but I have never seen a motor mount interfere with exhaust components that are bolted to each other. I think it's because I got the mpt70 instead of the 0n3 turbo and the housing flanges are different depths. It works now but I had to beat it like it owed me money to get it to clear.

post #30 of 37 Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I have the.modular 2v kit but yea I've heard about problems with the mp v band flanges
post #31 of 37 Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
Just my $.02 but using gaskets defeats the purpose of how a v-band flange is suppoed to function.

It is going to cost you a few dollars but the right fix for this is to cut them off and put high quality v-band flanges on that kit.

RPS sells all good stuff, have bought a lot from them over time.

The whole process with gaskets you guys are going through is bandaiding really low quality parts.

Add up the cost of these add-on parts and hours of labor and figure out whether you really got a good deal.

I'm not being a [email protected], it genuinely pains me to see all of these posts about problems with these kits, it really has to get frustrating.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #32 of 37 Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I understand that it may be a bndaid but if it works to works and its better than removing the kit and having new flanges welded on. Honestly my flanges don't look bad, it may just be the clamps that suck.
post #33 of 37 Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
You should be able to get a straight edge in there to check the flanges with it still on the car. If you have that issue and the issue with the clamps then it may point you to new flanges. If they are in fact straight and true perhaps new clamps will help.

It would baffle me a little about how you could have a clamp that doesn't match the flanges but I suppose anything is possible. They are normally a "matched" set.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #34 of 37 Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

lol yea, you would think that...but I can tell you right now that these v band clamps are way too loose for the job.

As I was saying before, they only seemed to get tight when I had 1/8 gasket in there and even then they are still able to nearly bottom out.

That points to the clamps being too large.

I checked the flanged with a straight edge and nothing looks out of wack so maybe the clamps are the issue here.
post #35 of 37 Old 06-23-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

well, finally got the racepartsolutuons clamps and obx gaskets, tried them out today and worked perfectly, no leaks.

the clamping areas on these new ones is sooooo much smaller than the on3 ones ....the gasket help seal them perfectly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement