What else can i use... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
What else can i use...

Ok as im driving the car more and more im finally getting used to it and getting into full boost...The other day the vac line to the PCV blew off it was a loose fiiting hose so i clamped it ok that seem to hold that on then i took it out and blew the breather tube out on the pass valve cover...but i know why the valve cover must have been for a Carb car so the hole is in the back near the throttle linkage so the shop that did my car rigged something up they used a grommet that fits very loose then a socket like a 3/4 inch to a piece of hose to a breather with a PCV in it...thats what keeps blowing out..its not a good fit...and ideas what i can do?...can i run one hose to a catch can and the pcv in the intake or what?...LOL....help

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Your best bet would be to ditch the PCV setup altogether and run a hose off of each valve cover to a catch can. If you currently have that much blow-by pressurizing the crankcase, you're gonna have lots of oil leaks soon.

1989 5.0 T5 LX Hatch - Explorer Short Block with an FMS F-303 cam, TFS TW170 heads, Tmoss Ported Cobra Intake, an On3 Turbo Kit with a 67mm Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo, and backed by a T56 Magnum 6spd with 3.55's
post #3 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTICSVT View Post
Your best bet would be to ditch the PCV setup altogether and run a hose off of each valve cover to a catch can. If you currently have that much blow-by pressurizing the crankcase, you're gonna have lots of oil leaks soon.
Will a catch can help that much?...which one should i get?...Also the reason i think im having this problem is the valve cover was meg shifted to fit a grommet and somewhat of a hose to a breather i bought the valve covers used and it had this hole in it already and its right under the TB linkage so you can barely fit anything...So i want to get a new set and do a catch can and get rid of the PCV so should this help me out?

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 PM

I'm using this catch can:

Moroso 85473 - Moroso Vacuum/Dry Sump Breather Tanks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Except I drilled and tapped the smallish 3/8 NPT fittings oversize to 3/4 NPT. I then Drilled and tapped my TFS valve covers for 3/4 NPT and then ran 3/4 hose from them to the catch can. I'll eventually upgrade it all to AN fittings and braided hose when my wallet recovers.

1989 5.0 T5 LX Hatch - Explorer Short Block with an FMS F-303 cam, TFS TW170 heads, Tmoss Ported Cobra Intake, an On3 Turbo Kit with a 67mm Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo, and backed by a T56 Magnum 6spd with 3.55's
post #5 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm using this catch can:

Moroso 85473 - Moroso Vacuum/Dry Sump Breather Tanks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Except I drilled and tapped the smallish 3/8 NPT fittings oversize to 3/4 NPT. I then Drilled and tapped my TFS valve covers for 3/4 NPT and then ran 3/4 hose from them to the catch can. I'll eventually upgrade it all to AN fittings and braided hose when my wallet recovers.
I like that can catch cool what size is 3/4 equal to AN fittings?...i was thinking of trying those bulk head fittings on the Valve covers and run 2 lines to a catch can..i will probably go AN right off the bat...What did you use to plug your PCV ? YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES?

Turbo installed!!!!
post #6 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (46)
Quote:
+1. I prefer -12AN (3/4" ID) lines. Many use -10AN without issues, but you can never go too big in terms of the breather lines. Also make sure that your breather neck is at least as large in terms of area as both of your breather lines added together.

Freeze plugs work well to seal up the lower intake opening. I forget the required size. Maybe someone can chime in.

It's a shame your shop didn't realize how they needed to properly evacuate the crankcase.

-Scott
88 GT
Turbocharged Dart 331 & complete resto in the works...
post #7 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceoholic330 View Post
+1. I prefer -12AN (3/4" ID) lines. Many use -10AN without issues, but you can never go too big in terms of the breather lines. Also make sure that your breather neck is at least as large in terms of area as both of your breather lines added together.

Freeze plugs work well to seal up the lower intake opening. I forget the required size. Maybe someone can chime in.

It's a shame your shop didn't realize how they needed to properly evacuate the crankcase.
so -12an is 3/4 inch?...Yeah that would be good if someone chimes in about the freeze out plug size...Yeah My fiance is kinda upset with the shop too...lol...More money i have to dish out when i could have dished it out then...if that makes sense?

Turbo installed!!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
what shop did the work cause it sounds like they rigged stuff and you had pipes falling off. hope you get the problems worked out. the -an sizes work as 1/16th.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittin cobra View Post
what shop did the work cause it sounds like they rigged stuff and you had pipes falling off. hope you get the problems worked out. the -an sizes work as 1/16th.
The pipe that blew off i can see why it did..the couplers seem to short,i just ordered a 3ft length from raceparts solutions...i will replace the couplers with longer pieces should be ok..The valve cover was hacked before i bought it they tried to make it work and well kinda let me know it was only temp...I think going to a catch can will be better anyways no?

Turbo installed!!!!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
the catch can is the way to go. if i can figure out how to load pics on here again i can show you my set-up. i used a jegs can and mounted it so it's in the passenger side fender well. my engine compartment is very packed so i got creative. i also just used reinforced heater hose.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittin cobra View Post
the catch can is the way to go. if i can figure out how to load pics on here again i can show you my set-up. i used a jegs can and mounted it so it's in the passenger side fender well. my engine compartment is very packed so i got creative. i also just used reinforced heater hose.
Thanks that would be great!!! So did you notice a difference right away after doing the catch can...Im sure that should slove my problem?...Also the catch can i want has a filter on top does that help the engine breath too?....or does it need breathers also?

Turbo installed!!!!
post #12 of 14 Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (46)
No breathers on the VC. Just lines from your VC's to the catch can with a big breather on top.

-Scott
88 GT
Turbocharged Dart 331 & complete resto in the works...
post #13 of 14 Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceoholic330 View Post
No breathers on the VC. Just lines from your VC's to the catch can with a big breather on top.
OK cool does that help the car breath at the same time as help pressuring the crank case,,i guess what im asking is dual purpose?

Turbo installed!!!!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY 93 GT View Post
OK cool does that help the car breath at the same time as help pressuring the crank case,,i guess what im asking is dual purpose?
It helps to ventilate the boost that is getting past the rings and pressurizing your crankcase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement