Any other 2.3 Turbo guys in here? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (59)
Any other 2.3 Turbo guys in here?

All I ever read is V8 turbo stuff in this forum, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm eager to learn and share experience with those that are into the 2.3 turbo stuff as well.
I'm getting ready to put a turbo on my 93 coupe, 2.3, 5 speed. It's already got a turbo coupe rear axle, 4 wheel disc brakes, V8 front spindles and brakes, 17"wheels, billet shifter, spec stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back with LX tips, off road single to dual front pipe. I did this to see if it would improve fuel economy and allow me to put my wideband O2 in it when I tune it.
My project is going in stages, I'm almost done with the first phase, going on to the second phase now which is opening the computer and putting the chip in and start messing with the n/a tune. Once I get the best power and mileage out of it as is, then the turbo goes on.
Turbo kit will be mostly from Stinger, but I already have a 57 trim turbo. I'm also going a little different route using the stock maf electronics from the 93 with a ProM meter with a big air calibration on it for blow through. I'm just wanting to go at it with a little different approach to see how it works out. Stock engine for now, using their fmic kit too. Going to start with some 36 lb injectors and go up from there. Also have a GSS340 pump going into it too.

Anyone else out there?

Michael Bell
email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 coupe, coyote 5.0, turbo, manual trans, project in progress....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

guess not, lol.

Michael Bell
email:

post #3 of 122 Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (24)
I have a friend of a friend who did a stroker 2.3, built internals, turbo and he was only ever in the 12/11s, so thats probably why you dont see much turbo 2.3l posts.

1999 Mustang "V6" - Microsquirt Powered LS 5.3, 76mm On3 Turbo (Soon to Be Replaced), Turbo 400 w/ RMVB, Strange 31 Spline S/S Axles with Auburn Diff, 275/60/15 on 15x10" with Skinnies up Front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 122 Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I messed with one a couple years back , not knowing all I know now I never worked all the bugs out. Had a built head and a 50 trim. I plan on going back to a 2.3t when my current beater/dd let's go.

1990 Notchback stock bottom end , TW's , F cam , Systemax and 66mm in the works.
post #5 of 122 Old 06-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have a 92 vert 4 banger that I'd love to do a 2.3T into. But realistically I completely lack the time to ever do that.

Sent from my iPad Nano

--Admiral Aaron

post #6 of 122 Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
Subscribing.

There are two guys in Ohio that have raced year after year in true street with 4 cyl turbo cars. Clean, well built cars that run in the 9's and 10's. Not sure if they are around here on the corral.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #7 of 122 Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy2001 View Post
I have a friend of a friend who did a stroker 2.3, built internals, turbo and he was only ever in the 12/11s, so thats probably why you dont see much turbo 2.3l posts.
Yes, your friend's failures are CLEARLY why this section of Corral does not have alot of 2.3 turbo info.

post #8 of 122 Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Both of my cars in my sig had 2.3T at one point....the 88TC still does.

This isnt the place for 2.3t info. TurboFord.net

Travis

86XR7 in pieces. V8 turbo swap in process. 88TC stock daily driver...28mpg
post #9 of 122 Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I understand that most guys on this site are into V8's, so am I. I'd just like to change that a bit. I've been on the turbostangs forum, not a lot of activity there last time I was on(a while ago). I'm proceeding forward with my project.
Next step is to get it back on the dyno and tune it all motor, just to get my feet wet with the parameters and get to know a little of what the engine likes. I will not keep anything to myself and everything I do will be public with it, both success and failures. Only running 11's with my 2.3 dd is something I'll suffer through, lol, what was the point of that comment anyway?
After I get the all motor gas tune done, and document the mpg improvements(I hope), then it's the swap over to E85 to see how it likes that and what the mpg drops to. Then onto the larger injectors, maf change and turbo install. This will be a fun dd that also has a decent enough suspension to race it at the track on slicks. I think it will be blast, so if you have any interest at all, check back often... If anyone else has a project, post it up in here. We'll get this moving somehow.

Michael Bell
email:

post #10 of 122 Old 06-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Turbo Wizard

I just looked back at your original post. Are you going to ditch the flowmasters for a more turbo friendly muffler selection? So you have a factory NA motor that you plan to toss a turbo on to then learn with? Or is it a factory turbo motor that you are running NA at first to learn tuning techniques with?

--Admiral Aaron

post #11 of 122 Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I have a 86 coupe that's been converted with a 88TC motor. Only upgrade so far to the driveline is , 3.27 gears, centerforce dual friction clutch, and Stinger 3"DP to 3" in/out hooker aero chamber. About to thow a bigger fuel pump and manual boost controller so I can turn the boost back up. No BCS limits me to 8lb at the moment.

Other mods include:
Hallman boost controller
MM solid rack bushings
MM steering shaft
MM bump steer kit
MM cc plates
Koni shocks
FRPP C springs
Steeda x2 balljoints
95 spindles
95 GT 8.8 converted to fox length
Yukon 5 lug axles
North racecar rear brackets
03 cobra front brakes
95 Lincoln towncar 1" bore master cylinder
Wilwood perportioning valve
MGW shifter
Aftermarket 2 core 100% aluminum rad
18 x 9/10 94-04 offset wheels
234/45 & 295/35 KDW II

post #12 of 122 Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
I just looked back at your original post. Are you going to ditch the flowmasters for a more turbo friendly muffler selection? So you have a factory NA motor that you plan to toss a turbo on to then learn with? Or is it a factory turbo motor that you are running NA at first to learn tuning techniques with?
Yes, planning to ditch them after the turbo install and power starts approaching a level where the mufflers become an issue. I want a dynomax cat back on it. I just put these on so I could get the front pipe made to mate up to a V8 style catback.

It is a factory n/a engine that I am putting a turbo on to learn with and to start piling power too. I have a few back up engines that I am going to select one to put forged pistons and good H beam rods in the shortblock, then a good port on the head and a good camshaft, port the intake, etc. All in due time. I figure these stock 2.3's are stronger than a 4.6 with powdered metal rods and cast pistons, so I should be fine up to 250 hp or so.

Michael Bell
email:

post #13 of 122 Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinator6 View Post
I have a 86 coupe that's been converted with a 88TC motor. Only upgrade so far to the driveline is , 3.27 gears, centerforce dual friction clutch, and Stinger 3"DP to 3" in/out hooker aero chamber. About to thow a bigger fuel pump and manual boost controller so I can turn the boost back up. No BCS limits me to 8lb at the moment.

Sweet Ride! Love the 4 eyes. Sounds like a killer, fun dd to me! Mine has rear turbocoupe 8.8 with stock disk setup currently, 96V6 master cylinder, MM 3-2 conversion tubing for master cylinder, front are V8 spindles and performance friction pads with rebuilt Lincoln 73mm calipers up front. V8 front and rear sway bars, Spec stage 3 clutch, billet shifter. It's fun, a little loud, and I drive it every day. It's a blast to take through corners, but def lacks in the power category.
My goal is an 11 sec dd that handles well and is just fun to drive. I have V8 race cars, I wanted something different.
My car is factory a/c delete which I thought was pretty cool when I bought it, but now that I have driven it in some 90+ degree days, I'm starting to rethink that, lol. I believe a/c is in my future for sure.

Keep em coming guys!

Michael Bell
email:

post #14 of 122 Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangmichael View Post
Yes, planning to ditch them after the turbo install and power starts approaching a level where the mufflers become an issue. I want a dynomax cat back on it. I just put these on so I could get the front pipe made to mate up to a V8 style catback.

It is a factory n/a engine that I am putting a turbo on to learn with and to start piling power too. I have a few back up engines that I am going to select one to put forged pistons and good H beam rods in the shortblock, then a good port on the head and a good camshaft, port the intake, etc. All in due time. I figure these stock 2.3's are stronger than a 4.6 with powdered metal rods and cast pistons, so I should be fine up to 250 hp or so.
You using the factory twin plug head still?

As far as the flowmasters they are going to hurt power production as soon as a turbo is on there. Not to say you can't make power with them but being chambered mufflers it will cause you to not make the potential that your combination will have.

--Admiral Aaron

post #15 of 122 Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
You using the factory twin plug head still?

As far as the flowmasters they are going to hurt power production as soon as a turbo is on there. Not to say you can't make power with them but being chambered mufflers it will cause you to not make the potential that your combination will have.
Agreed, just have to tolerate them till budget allows a change is all. Yes, still using the factory twin plug head, so twice the expense to swap to a colder plug, lol. I'm also tuning with SCT, then on to moates, using the maf computer. It will be interesting and a challenge that I'm up for.

Michael Bell
email:

post #16 of 122 Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Turbo Wizard

Is the computer in the 4 bangers the same actual computer a 5.0 uses?

--Admiral Aaron

post #17 of 122 Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Is the computer in the 4 bangers the same actual computer a 5.0 uses?
Good question, it's physically the same yes, same internals, less 4 injector drivers of course. It's got all the same parameters and tables that a V8 one does. I'm going to get the catch code and open the tunefile tomorrow or sometime this weekend at the latest. I'll know a lot more at that point. Not a lot of info out there on doing it this way.
Talked to ProM and they can do a calibration that will work for the 4 cyl computer, so that was my only speedbump in doing this so far.

Michael Bell
email:

post #18 of 122 Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
so your taking a stock n/a 2.3 and converting it into a turbo motor??? how much boost can a stock one take?? would be fun

afr 185 heads, dss 331
Turbo build
post #19 of 122 Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3mustang View Post
so your taking a stock n/a 2.3 and converting it into a turbo motor??? how much boost can a stock one take?? would be fun
Now you're thinking like me! lol, gonna find out. Here's my line of thought, guys are turbo'ing 4.6's with powdered metal rods, hyper pistons, and cast cranks. A 2.3 non turbo engine has a stout cast crank, forged rods, and hyper pistons. Way I look at it, this should handle upwards of 250 hp or more before something lets go. I'm going to push it's limits till something does decide to hit the exit.
Well, over the weekend, was on my way into the shop in my trusty dd 2.3 coupe and the timing belt decided to let go. I knew right away what had happened, so coasted into a parking lot and called AAA. 2 hours later had a new belt on and the car seems to run better, maybe old belt was stretched? maybe I'm just crazy? only time will tell.
Stupid stuff like moving and finding a new place are taking all of my time and cash currently, but as soon as we cement our plans and I pay for Disney(6 year old doesn't understand why dad's turbo is more important than Mickey), I'll be ordering my kit up.

Michael Bell
email:

post #20 of 122 Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
sounds cool what kit? also do you think youll have to change the valve springs on the n/a head??

afr 185 heads, dss 331
Turbo build
post #21 of 122 Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM

Good luck with your project. Just Becareful lots of stories of destroyed engines. The pistons are weak along with the rings. I would suggest quarterhorse and tune it yourself. I doubt an off the self tunewill work well. I forgot if u have a. wide band! If u don't get one. There is abit of info on stingers site on what you are attempting. I would just hate for you to put all that work in a cool ride and damage the engine.

Good luck!

Did you checkout turboford.net?

Travis

86XR7 in pieces. V8 turbo swap in process. 88TC stock daily driver...28mpg
post #22 of 122 Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotrav View Post
Good luck with your project. Just Becareful lots of stories of destroyed engines. The pistons are weak along with the rings. I would suggest quarterhorse and tune it yourself. I doubt an off the self tunewill work well. I forgot if u have a. wide band! If u don't get one. There is abit of info on stingers site on what you are attempting. I would just hate for you to put all that work in a cool ride and damage the engine.

Good luck!

Did you checkout turboford.net?

Travis
Travis, thanks! I tune with SCT, have been since 05 but I will be going with a moates once I get the tune dialed in with the SCT. I want to use this to get more familiar with the software for the moates. The quarterhorse will allow me to datalog as well.
Yes, I know those rings and pistons are the weak link so I won't be getting happy with the spark. My dyno has a wideband, but I am going to get three gauges from dynotune.org: wideband, fuel pressure and boost. I'm getting a triple gauge pillar mount and going with that.
G3: I'm using the stuff from stinger. I want his header, downpipe, fmic kit and using his blow off valve and wastegate. I already have the 57 trim turbo, so I'm set once I get it on order. I work in front of a computer all day, so when I get home I just don't feel like staring at a screen again, lol, hence the delay in pictures and more updates. I'll get it up here this weekend I suppose.

Michael Bell
email:

post #23 of 122 Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Well, I got to work on my car this weekend a bit. I decided it was time to replace the 1993 plug wires on it and put some new plugs in since the originals were in there a questionable amount of time.
I went to the very first one and started to spin the plug wire to loosen the boot a bit, and the plug spun with it. Great. So I tightened the plug up by spinning the plug wire back to the right, was so loose I didn't have enough play in the wire to get it, so out come the pliers. I get the boot off and the plug comes out after three or four turns. I figured out just then why my underhood was so noisey. I originally thought I had a bad idler pulley on the timing belt, but this was the noise. I proceeded to replace all 8 wires and plugs, finding 6 loose plugs, with number 4 drivers side being looser than the first plug. The car is now much quieter under the hood, jury is still out on if this will improve the mileage any, and I'm not sure if power is up or not till I get it back on the dyno(might happen this weekend).
Thanks for reading!

Michael Bell
email:

post #24 of 122 Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Turbo Wizard

That should have at least made getting those driver side plugs out easier. I fought one of those so much that I finally said screw it and pulled the intake.

My oldest kid informed me yesterday that a lot of coolant was under the 4 banger vert when he got to work. Then he proceeded to tell me that starting a day before that the engine started clicking. I checked the oil this morning and barely registered and each time had a tiny bit of sludge on the stick. 1-2 quarts later and about where it should be. Have antifreeze stain on the passenger side fins of the radiator and when took the cap off a dime size of I think oil that stuck to my finger. Looks like I get to source and do a radiator this week. Perhaps if he keeps this up I will soon enough have an excuse to swap to a turbo coupe motor.

--Admiral Aaron

post #25 of 122 Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Good luck! You'll need it!
post #26 of 122 Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
That should have at least made getting those driver side plugs out easier. I fought one of those so much that I finally said screw it and pulled the intake.

My oldest kid informed me yesterday that a lot of coolant was under the 4 banger vert when he got to work. Then he proceeded to tell me that starting a day before that the engine started clicking. I checked the oil this morning and barely registered and each time had a tiny bit of sludge on the stick. 1-2 quarts later and about where it should be. Have antifreeze stain on the passenger side fins of the radiator and when took the cap off a dime size of I think oil that stuck to my finger. Looks like I get to source and do a radiator this week. Perhaps if he keeps this up I will soon enough have an excuse to swap to a turbo coupe motor.
I've still got 10 years before I have to worry about her getting the keys to the car, lol. Man, sometimes I think kids today are allergic to things under the hood of a car. Hope you get it worked out, might want to put a half a quart of trans fluid in that thing to clean it out a bit.

Michael Bell
email:

post #27 of 122 Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBM50 View Post
Good luck! You'll need it!
thanks! It'll be fun and something for me to tinker on and learn from. I've been incredibly fast down the track, now wanting to move onto something different. If my wife quits spending my money soon, I'll get my coyote engine for my car in my sig and get it going again.

Michael Bell
email:

post #28 of 122 Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
I've still got 10 years before I have to worry about her getting the keys to the car, lol. Man, sometimes I think kids today are allergic to things under the hood of a car. Hope you get it worked out, might want to put a half a quart of trans fluid in that thing to clean it out a bit.
I have always heard about the trans fluid trick but never have tried it out before. I might just do that since I have a couple boxes of fluid left over from my C6 days. It is the joys of providing a car to a kid, this is the second and last car for him and I purposely bought cheap cars knowing full well he'd ignore things. I am though half tempted to buy an Autometer bright warning light to trigger for high temps, it might get his attention then

--Admiral Aaron

post #29 of 122 Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
I have always heard about the trans fluid trick but never have tried it out before. I might just do that since I have a couple boxes of fluid left over from my C6 days. It is the joys of providing a car to a kid, this is the second and last car for him and I purposely bought cheap cars knowing full well he'd ignore things. I am though half tempted to buy an Autometer bright warning light to trigger for high temps, it might get his attention then
And have it blast metallica, then you've got a winnah! lol. I know, I'm buying my daughter a crown vic and putting an sct program in it with a speed limiter of 50 mph.lol, she'll be happy as heck when that time comes.

Michael Bell
email:

post #30 of 122 Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
And have it blast metallica, then you've got a winnah! lol. I know, I'm buying my daughter a crown vic and putting an sct program in it with a speed limiter of 50 mph.lol, she'll be happy as heck when that time comes.
I am not sure how he did it but my friend has some sort of auto engine shut off after 10 minutes of the warnings going off in his kids car.

--Admiral Aaron

post #31 of 122 Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
I am not sure how he did it but my friend has some sort of auto engine shut off after 10 minutes of the warnings going off in his kids car.
I had a friend that his dad put a monitor on his vehicle, it tracked speed, distance, etc. He could download it and see if he was speeding or doing anything else stupid. I'd like to get something like that in 10 years.

Michael Bell
email:

post #32 of 122 Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I reread this thread and realized I didn't post my base numbers. With it all stock, T5 manual, 3.55 rear gears, 17" street tires, it put down 95 rwhp. I'm going to get it on the dyno again Sunday and tune it, and see if the base went up any with a new belt. If it did, then yahoo, if not oh well. I'll mess with the tuning for power first and then see if I can squeeze some mpg out of it. Like to see 30 highway, 27 city before I turbo it. I think it's possible for sure.
dynoing this thing is kind of boring. lol.

Michael Bell
email:

post #33 of 122 Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I reread this thread and realized I didn't post my base numbers. With it all stock, T5 manual, 3.55 rear gears, 17" street tires, it put down 95 rwhp. I'm going to get it on the dyno again Sunday and tune it, and see if the base went up any with a new belt. If it did, then yahoo, if not oh well. I'll mess with the tuning for power first and then see if I can squeeze some mpg out of it. Like to see 30 highway, 27 city before I turbo it. I think it's possible for sure.
dynoing this thing is kind of boring. lol.
Who hoo! You put down stock Honda numbers lol!
post #34 of 122 Old 06-26-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBM50 View Post
Who hoo! You put down stock Honda numbers lol!
Lol, yeah. Really motivating to put the turbo on it and actually slay some rice. I think a honda actually makes more power than that. lol. When the VTEC kicks in!

Michael Bell
email:

post #35 of 122 Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 PM

a buddy of mine had a stockish 2.3 turbo and i want to say it was going 12s,then he turned it into a full race car and its in the 9s

sold-99SS m6 h/c/i,sold-99 hardtop z,sold-99hoss
2002 [email protected] stocklongblock,no power adder
[email protected](stock blower,2.8 upper only)
1990lx5.0-stock longblock,100shot [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement