intercooler VS Water/Methanol Injection - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (15)
intercooler VS Water/Methanol Injection

woundering which is the better of the two for my turbo set-up

just some input would help me get in the right direction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 02:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
There are a lot of things to consider.

intercooler:
Always there, nothing to refill
Easy install
Reliable, nothing to fail
Does nothing to raise fuel octane rating

Meth:
Raises octane of the fuel so you can run more boost/timing
Difficult instal if you aren't good at wiring
Lots of parts to fail
Have to fill the bottle all the time
Compact, can hide the entire kit

TWIN TURBO!! Because bottles are for babies and superchargers blow
megasquirt, 331, twin 66s, ported 205cc head, efi spyder intake, 160# injectors, e85
post #3 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Or you can do what i did and alot of people do...run both...lol...And the Snow performance meth kit i bought and installed was EASY to do....3 wires total...a control box and pump...I really like the idea that i can run more boost and have that extra added octane on hand....

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 09:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY 93 GT View Post
I really like the idea that i can run more boost and have that extra added octane on hand....
boost is addicting cant wait to get my snail on the car
post #5 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchthis View Post
boost is addicting cant wait to get my snail on the car
My car is currently making 14 psi...havent been close to it yet tho...traction issues...lol...

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
post #6 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (15)
would it be safe to run just a intercooler?

what one is better for the turbo, life wise and performance wise?
post #7 of 18 Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckStang View Post
would it be safe to run just a intercooler?

what one is better for the turbo, life wise and performance wise?
Yes you can just run the intercooler....I run meth for added protection,cooler intake track,you can run more timing,equals more power...more boost...but you dont need to run meth...

Turbo installed!!!!
post #8 of 18 Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Intercooler.

07 Grabber Orange GT Prem/Vert/6060/3.55
S&H Twin turbo kit, 6262 oil-less Comp turbos
9:1 compression 281, turbo cams, e85
[email protected],[email protected]
post #9 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY 93 GT View Post
Yes you can just run the intercooler....I run meth for added protection,cooler intake track,you can run more timing,equals more power...more boost...but you dont need to run meth...
This is exactly correct. I run a turboed 3V with a inter cooler and a Snow Performance stage 2 set up. The inter cooler is nice but does not give the cooling capabilities of evaporating water in the intake tract and added octane in the combustion chamber.

Here is a link below where they were able to drop IATs by 46 degrees from bolting on a Snow Performance Stage 3 with NO intercooler.

$ per $ a meth kit will yield more benefit every time.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (162)
I run both. just the a/a intercooler at 10# and then throw in the meth and more aggressive tune when I turn on my ams500 for 15#. meth lowers your EGTs which is also a plus. pk

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #11 of 18 Old 10-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Sure methanol works but why anyone uses it any more I will never understand. In my opinion e85 and an intercooler is the best option period. The e85 gives you more than enough octane and a properly sized intercooler will reduce your intake charge . The added octane in the E will allow you to run more boost and timing and you never have to worry about checking a tank in your trunk. You also dont need to wire in any additional safety electronics to monitor your meth levels and cut boost when you run out of meth. You really should have those if you want to be safe. In my opinion meth injection is and has always been a bandaid fix. It had its place 10 years ago when tuning was still at its infancy and e85 wasnt available... If you cant get E, then maybe methanol is for you but you better get all of the extra safety stuff with it...

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #12 of 18 Old 10-09-2014, 08:52 PM

Ive never been without meth in my tank...and E85 isn't really available here that I know of..plus when going e85 you need bigger injectors...bigger fuel pump...so IMO I will stick with meth injection...works fine for me....

Turbo installed!!!!
post #13 of 18 Old 10-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I was just looking at a datalog from a turbo ls car with an a/a intercooler and meth. Starting IAT was 110*. Six seconds into the run (and from when the meth started spraying), the IAT was down to 84 degrees. The meth certainly works to cool off IATs quite well. Aside from keeping the charge cool on the street, the a/a intercooler isn't doing much at the track, except maybe functioning as a heat sink of a sort to help offset some compressed charge heat for a bit and keeping temps from rising too fast. The meth is actually bringing the temps down, though.

AlexLTDLX

'84 LTD LX - 9.83 at 140.09. Whippled 365 SBF with a glide and 3.08 gears. Driven to and from the track 60 miles without even changing tire pressure.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-10-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
Sure methanol works but why anyone uses it any more I will never understand. In my opinion e85 and an intercooler is the best option period. The e85 gives you more than enough octane and a properly sized intercooler will reduce your intake charge . The added octane in the E will allow you to run more boost and timing and you never have to worry about checking a tank in your trunk. You also dont need to wire in any additional safety electronics to monitor your meth levels and cut boost when you run out of meth. You really should have those if you want to be safe. In my opinion meth injection is and has always been a bandaid fix. It had its place 10 years ago when tuning was still at its infancy and e85 wasnt available... If you cant get E, then maybe methanol is for you but you better get all of the extra safety stuff with it...
how about the fact that E85 is not available for everyone, if it's in your primary tank than you are using it even when you are cruising vs being on demand and lastly let's not forget that you don't just pump E85 into any old setup... you need the supporting equipment as well (pumps, lines, injectors)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #15 of 18 Old 10-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
If you are building a forced induction mustang you need bigger injectors regardless. If you choose to get 42s instead of 60s when you originally bought injectors, that is poor planning. The price difference between 42's and 60s is so small its not even worth mentioning. The majority of people with a mustang stop at 500whp which is supported by the stock lines and stock rails on 94+ cars and as far as a fuel pump.. The stock lines all the way from the pump to the rail on all fuel injected cars is already compatible with e85 and OMG.. you need a 340lph to support 500whp+ which requires no modifications to fit in a fuel injected mustang, and again if your building a forced induction car its going to need to be upgraded regardless. Im rocking a 50$ ebay 340lph making the numbers listed in my sig. If you have a 255lph, then again, poor planning and you should have bought the biggest pump you can get away with. Seriously guys.. the only argument that was even valid is for people who cant get E85... The last sentence in my previous post said if you live in a place that cant get E85 then maybe meth is for you.. I still stand by my statements. For a good meth injection kit with all of the safety features its going to cost you a lot of money that can be avoided with e85

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #16 of 18 Old 10-10-2014, 06:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
If you are building a forced induction mustang you need bigger injectors regardless. If you choose to get 42s instead of 60s when you originally bought injectors, that is poor planning. The price difference between 42's and 60s is so small its not even worth mentioning. The majority of people with a mustang stop at 500whp which is supported by the stock lines and stock rails on 94+ cars and as far as a fuel pump.. The stock lines all the way from the pump to the rail on all fuel injected cars is already compatible with e85 and OMG.. you need a 340lph to support 500whp+ which requires no modifications to fit in a fuel injected mustang, and again if your building a forced induction car its going to need to be upgraded regardless. Im rocking a 50$ ebay 340lph making the numbers listed in my sig. If you have a 255lph, then again, poor planning and you should have bought the biggest pump you can get away with. Seriously guys.. the only argument that was even valid is for people who cant get E85... The last sentence in my previous post said if you live in a place that cant get E85 then maybe meth is for you.. I still stand by my statements. For a good meth injection kit with all of the safety features its going to cost you a lot of money that can be avoided with e85
You can run a meth kit instead of a intercooler for cheaper on your E85 mustang and have cooler IATs with much more octane out of your E85. E85+Meth is win win for everyone.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-10-2014, 08:15 PM

some food for thought... E85 is 105 octane equivalent vs 116 octane with water/methanol and 93 octane. and also, because it's an alcohol it will collect moisture if left in the tank over time.

post #18 of 18 Old 11-09-2014, 02:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
Tisk tisk its 2014 u cant spew that stuff. It will not collect water thats been proven on many sites. And there is no real octane scale for alcohol so the 105 is a guess. E85 has outperformed 116 in a few cases and in many others performed equally. E85 is great, but it does have its limitations. Though hard to reach, at that point methanol does the trick. From a cooling aspect I would add a nozzle pre-compressor for wet compression then a nozzle after for cooling. Anything will work...water, washer fluid, Heet, rubbing alcohol or some Bartons lol.

www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement