on3 turbo drain TOOO SMALL??? i think so, pix inside. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (19)
on3 turbo drain TOOO SMALL??? i think so, pix inside.

hey guys ive bin having a smoking issue with my on3 turbo through the exhaust. it always smoked little bit. now that the new motor is in, it seems little bit worse. (maybe since i have a high volume oil pump) so last couple days ive done a ton of research. i bought a .065 oil restrictor. havent installed it yet. gonna hold off for now. BECAUSE:

today i removed turbo to inspect it. looks great. dont see any oil leaking. down pipe looks good too. shaft play is perfect. i got to looking at the drain ITS WAY TO SMALL!!! the barb fittings that attach to turbo drain and the oil pan arent much bigger then 1/4 in. drain hose is 3/8in and that metal pipe that makes the 90 degree bend is 5/16th inch SEE PICTURES BELOW.

today i spend 11 bucks at lowes and bought. 5/8in barb fittings, 5/8 hose, and 5/8 metal tube. looks 10x better. and i now know that it should drain the way its suppose to.

hopefully this will solve my issue, if not ill add the restrictor. but i dont think ill need it since i almost double the drain size now.

what do you guys think???

left is hardware that on3 supplied right side is my own setup from lowes.

i also bent the metal pipe longer to lessen the sharp 90 degree bend.

2004 Mustang Sonic Blue - turbo- - MMR 4.75 900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
How are you venting the crankcase as well? This is often overlooked, and usually the number one offender, I would address this before resulting to a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo. How much oil pressure do you see at wot? Too much crankcase pressure under boost will slow the gravity drain and work against it increasing the pressure in the center cartridge and pushing oil past the seals. Nice job on the new drain btw, looks good!

07 Grabber Orange GT Prem/Vert/6060/3.55
S&H Twin turbo kit, 6262 oil-less Comp turbos
9:1 compression 281, turbo cams, e85
[email protected],[email protected]
post #3 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightblade View Post
How are you venting the crankcase as well? This is often overlooked, and usually the number one offender, I would address this before resulting to a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo. How much oil pressure do you see at wot? Too much crankcase pressure under boost will slow the gravity drain and work against it increasing the pressure in the center cartridge and pushing oil past the seals. Nice job on the new drain btw, looks good!
5/8 in hose coming from each valve cover into a breather catch can. The breather hole that the filter attached to was only 3/8 I widened the hole to 1 1/4 inch and installed a thread pipe and hose clamp breather to that. (I just did that today)

Not sure what else I can do since I have plastic valve covers and can't really get the drivers off without dropping motor down few inches.

Only other thing I could add is a breather oil cap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
one thing i always upgrade on them, but i use the braided hose and heat sleeve.
and upgrade the pcv system is a must.

I am on3 dealer. message me for some killer deals
post #5 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
lol i used 3/4' drain always figure you can never go to big
unless you are aiming for the bushes
post #6 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaite View Post
5/8 in hose coming from each valve cover into a breather catch can. The breather hole that the filter attached to was only 3/8 I widened the hole to 1 1/4 inch and installed a thread pipe and hose clamp breather to that. (I just did that today)

Not sure what else I can do since I have plastic valve covers and can't really get the drivers off without dropping motor down few inches.

Only other thing I could add is a breather oil cap
5/8 hose is equal to -10. If you have one line per valve cover going directly into the can that should not be your issue.

Some of us run -12, but I'm not sure it is really necessary, but more because the incremental cost is only a few dollars vs. a -10 setup.

I also have a braided drain line with a proper drain fitting and real fittings. That picture with the tape measure is not confidence inspiring vs. what you would have a real -10 fitting. That "could" be an issue, but only if it is really too small to accomodate the drain volume.

Let us know the results from your testing before we try to philosophize further on this. What you are doing looks like the right steps.

I'm sure the guys here can help you piece together a drain with better parts if you need it. Keep us posted.

I'm a little puzzled why kits would ship with home-depot like parts. Real AN aluminum fittings and line aren't expensive for the type of setup we are talking about for a drain line.

(not to scare you, but when I overspun my PT78 from too much backpressure it smoked like a train. It twisted up the center and was shooting oil into the downpipe)

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #7 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 AM

I'm pretty sure my drain is 5/8 hose! I'll double check. When is your kit from?
post #8 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 AM

Yeah I def have 5/8 bc I just bought a steel fitting to weld into the pan instead of thread it.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I have the first gen kit. I have know idea why they supplied such a small drain. Im not surprised That they haven't chimed in. O well. Hopefully others check there drain to make sure they don't have the bs on3 supplied me

post #10 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM

I know this is an old ass thread but I'm having the same issue.

Wish I were in your boat though - my on3 FF kit didn't come with any of that stuff. Took me a few months of emails to even start to get a reply. When I did, my warranty had long passed. I worked out my own solution.

I needed some other parts which didn't come with the kit (intercooler brackets, turbo bracket) so I figured I'd pay them a second time for the stuff I didn't get with my first kit.

Take a look at what they sent me for the "turbo drain fitting"

FFS.

Needless to say, the turbo started smoking after a month or so. Bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt it, problem was worse immediately. Bought a new turbo from a friend (cheap ebay one) and it -still- smokes terribly when warmed up.

So now I'm going to do the same thing as the OP and I'll report back. I just used a 3/8" hose when I did this intially and made my own fitting by drilling a hole in a plate I had like the one shown above and threading in a brass fitting and soldering it up. I'm going to have to do that again here.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
new self contained oil feed block off plate?!?!

92 Notch, 347 H/C/I
post #12 of 13 Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
wow....thats just mind boggling. thats like walking around all day in a chimp suit and not knowing it

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
post #13 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I done -10 an fittings with braided line I didn't use that crap that came with the kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement