What is a good 76mm single turbo kit? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What is a good 76mm single turbo kit?

I am interested in switching from a Vortech S-Trim to a single 76mm turbo. My 1991 LX currently has a 331ci motor with fully ported Trick Flow High Ports, S-Trim blowing in 12psi at redline, Holly SysteMax II intake, etc. It is a high 10 second car, but I am itching to try a turbo. Is there a good 76mm turbo kit out there that is less than $2,500.00? I like the Hellion kits but over 5k? Not gonna pay extra for a name and cool stickers. The only things I really want out of the turbo kit are streetable reliability, longevity, completeness of the kit, and results. Can anyone recomend, from experience, which company I should go to?

Let's see, Super Victir EFI, "old school" race ported Trick Flow High Ports with all that titanium stuff/PSI springs, custom ground blower cam, 331,little Vortech S-Trim, Vortech Power Cooler with bigger heat exchanger, 3 link suspension, etc...More to come...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (162)
what block are you running?

if stock than start saving your money

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #3 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 PM

The bottom line on turbo kits, is you get what you pay for. Hellion is expensive, but they have a very clean kit. There are others out there cheaper, but most are becoming less and less honest. Hellion and B&G are the only two that don't seem to get the problems everyone else has with other companies. The only way I see you getting the quality and cheapness you seek is by building your own. Search the company names for mustang turbo kits. There is an endless amount of threads on here or other site that with people that don't have a problem telling you their experience with these companies.

also check out The Turbo Forums.com The Largest Turbocharging Tech Site. <---- WARNING don't ask question before searching for the answer. They will eat you alive

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the wisdom. I have one of the early Boss blocks (no, not from the 70s) and a forged bottom end. I have a ton of experience with my engine and it doesn't seem to care how much I abuse it. I just change the oil every 3k... I am bored with the S-Trim and like the torque curve that a turbo offers. I see my car as a science experiment and simply love modifying it and seeing what happens. I am going to give B&G a look, but I have a feeling that I might try to buy all of the piping and add my own turbo, waste gate, blow-off valve and all of the other stuff as I go. I really would prefer to just buy a good kit, bolt it on, and go though. I guess the decission is, how much money am I willing to spend for peace of mind? Anyone have any other brands that are below 5k but are good? Anything American made?

Let's see, Super Victir EFI, "old school" race ported Trick Flow High Ports with all that titanium stuff/PSI springs, custom ground blower cam, 331,little Vortech S-Trim, Vortech Power Cooler with bigger heat exchanger, 3 link suspension, etc...More to come...
post #5 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
Build your own custom kit and you will be much happier. A 76mm is just a common term that alot of people like to use if they dont really know what theyre talking about. There are several different turbos with the same 76mm inducer wheel, but have very different airflow characteristics. Go to turbobygarrett.com to calculate how much airflow (lbs/min) youll need and boost pressure to attain however much HP you want. Then plot the data on all different compressor maps to find which turbo would give you the largest powerband and be most efficient for your particular engine. Buy that turbo then design and build the turbo kit around it. Or you could just buy an off the shelf premade kit with a general sized turbo, but it wont be the same

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
post #6 of 13 Old 09-30-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I just re-read my first post and I am glad that I am asking these questions. I seem to have had a change of heart after doing research. Maybe Hellion IS the way to go? As much as I would like to build a custom kit, I simply don't have the time or desire; at least not right now. I must admit that I am more than concerned by all of the issues that guys are having from Ebay turbos, but at the same time On3 performance is using what seems to be "Made in Taiwan" parts with success (at least that is what they claim). Heck, they are posting stuff right beside all of the complaints from On3 customers! I just don't know who to believe... I went to the BG websight hoping to scroll through some partial kits and their website must be down. All that I could look at were articles and the home page. Grrr...this is getting annoying! Is there another company besides Hellion that is reputable and will give me another choice?

post #7 of 13 Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
sure there is. i wouldnt mess with that on3 crap....CGFabrication does all their stuff in house and is built to order. They offer the hotside and coldside seperately. Then you can still choose which turbo you want to use as well as the wastegate and blowoff valve. Comes in cheaper than a hellion kit (depending on what parts you use) and is still very high quality made in the USA...
http://www.cgfabrication.com/shop/ar...4%26aid%3D1%26
5.0 Intercooler Kit - Detailed item view - CG Fabrication

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
post #8 of 13 Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (51)
I have had a Hellion kit on my car for four or five years now. Great kit! Great customer service and support. I upgraded from the 62mm to the 76mm a few years back when I went with my Dart block. For the money I spent, I feel that the kit was well worth it because I have had ZERO issues. Just my .02

1991 Coupe: Dart Sportsman 331, AFR205's, Holley Systemax, Hellion T76 turbo kit, TKO, PMS and other extras.

1993 Cobra: 52K, Black/Grey cloth #4740, SOLD
post #9 of 13 Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Building your own turbo kit is by far the way to go. It gives you total control over every thing and allows you to design it and not pay extra for all the changes you want to make.

1989 Mustang LX/Dart 428w/Turbonetics 88mm/AFR 225's/Solid Roller/Glide/FAST XFI -Nearing Retirement!
2011 FFR Type 65 Coupe (build in progress)- Dart 428Twin Turbo, Fast XFI, T56 - Just a street car!
2012 STI - Cobb stage 1 tune daily driver
post #10 of 13 Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
CGFabrication has some really nice ##### !!!!!

post #11 of 13 Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

gonna look up gcfabrication now. While I am on, I would like to see over 700 ft.lbs. of torque once I get the turbo installed. Any suggestions as to what size turbo, hot and cold sides, to steer towards? I could care less about hp, it'll show up with the torque... Thanks for the replies guys. I am humbly learning as I go.

post #12 of 13 Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 PM

Here ya go. B&G turbo kits

HOTSIDE and COLDSIDE KITS : B&G Turbo Kits

TURBO KITS : B&G Turbo Kits

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-01-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swing View Post
There are plenty of people that just pick up hot sides and get the cold sides of Ebay. You can't really beat the price on the Ebay cold sides, of course they are universal and you would had to do a little work to make them fit. But well worth the savings. Here is a example. A kit with u bends and beed rolled ends is always a good idea. I believe I picked my up for $180 2years ago never looked back. Just find the best one that fits your needs.

UNIVERSAL TURBO INTERCOOLER + 3" U PIPE PIPING KIT | eBay

The only modifying I had to do to my kit was cut a few pipes shorter then I beed rolled the end that I trimmed and modify the blowoff valve flange because I run a bigger valve. Other wise it bolt on and go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement