On3 Performance 4v 90 Coupe 76mm Build - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (13)
On3 Performance 4v 90 Coupe 76mm Build

I wanted to start a thread as I really haven’t shared my personal build, I generally don’t get time to devote to this project. That could be why its sat around for almost 2 years and hasn’t been completed. Im trying to take a little time each day now to try and get this car on the road and hopefully to the track in the near future. I bought the car a few years back just as a rolling chassis with plans to just swap in an 03 motor. I had a salvaged 03 that we parted out so I had a lot of the parts around and just wasn’t going to be happy after getting it on the dyno. Not to mention I really wanted to ditch the blower and go turbo. So we just ended up pulling the motor back out and put the long block into my 99 Cobra here.

We got started on the project by stripping out basically anything that was left on the car still. I ended up re-wiring the entire car with the 03 Cobra harness so that everything worked inside and out. It was time consuming work but now all my power locks, windows, gauges, temp control, custom fabbed in 03 cluster, etc all work. It was a little difficult to figure out how to get the ignition and a few other things work with the harness but I could do it in my sleep now. In addition to rewiring, we swapped over the following from the 03:

Steering Rack
Hydro boost
Heater box(kept Ac and heat)
Fuel tank
Filler neck(took serious cutting)
Fan assembly

Im sure there is more but Im just going off memory right now. I can tell you without having the 03 here to part out, this project really would have been tough and end up costing a lot by just having to pick up tons of little things we pulled from the other car.

So moving on to the present day, we have a completely built teksid block with good internals. Picked up a set of 04 10 thread heads and dropped them off at a friends place to get MMR stainless valves installed along with the springs and titanium retainers. I found a great deal on the forum for a set of custom turbo cams for about the exact same setup that I was building. So I ended up getting those to finish off the engine. A friend/customer at Smith Powder coating took care of us by high temp powder coating the valve covers and manifolds. The wrinkle blue really sets everything off and looks good in the engine bay. Glad I took the time to send those off and get them done before installing the engine.

As for the transmission I knew I was planning on building the car to eventually race in the true street class so went with a built c4 for the time being. Picked it up locally and the deal was too good to pass up on. Those people building something similar, this will take a custom built mount. I looked around but didn’t see any other solution but the brackets we had machined were really simple and could make with some plate steel. Also it worked out really nice, the drive shaft was able to be re-used and just needed the adapter plate that jegs sells.

For the time being the rear end was just upgraded with 31 spline diff, our On3 Performance 31 spline 5 lug axles and a c-clip eliminator kit.

As you can see we had to modify the one header primary to clear the steering shaft which was pretty simple. Due to running the 03 fan setup, we were going to have to modify the merge pipe. So instead we just went ahead and built it from one piece to make it simple and we planned on running the On3 Performance 60mm wastegate. With that being said, we just figured it would be easier to start from scratch and turned out nice. We are going to run the On3 76mm ceramic ball bearing turbo on the car and follow that up with a custom 3.5” custom built downpipe. We were thinking to run it 3.5” all the way back with just 1 single 3.5” tailpipe. Im not sold on that idea yet but we are just getting started.

To try and help keep iat temps down as cold as possible, we are building a completely custom air to water intercooler setup. The intercooler core is huge and we mounted it in the passenger side inner fender area that you can see in the one photo. Then went on to do a custom 3” aluminum intercooler pipe kit from the turbo to throttle body. Basically that is where we stand right now and should be starting with the fuel system very soon. We are actually going ahead and developing the system that we are going to use on this car. Keep an eye out for that, we have a very trick fuel solution that will hit the market in the near future ☺

I also took way too much time on the gauge cluster but I thought since I did all the wiring, I might as well make the 03 cluster fit the car. It’s a really subtle modification and looks factory but those that know what they are looking at will notice. I completely fiber glassed the back side of the cluster to build a bucket that would house and support it. That way I could fab up some brackets to bolt to the actual bezel it would sit in. I wont admit the hours it took me to do this one mod but seeing it in the car, it was all worth it.

Its somewhat hard to describe this whole project since its changed directions a couple time but Ill try and keep the thread up to date as I make headway. I don’t get much time for my personal projects so it might be finished this winter or who knows when. Its just not priority but Im going to stay on it and cant wait to get it out to some events in the near future.

Custom steering shaft to allow the stock colum to be used and go to the 03 Rack

Everyone meet Steve-o, helped turn wrenches a lot of nights after work.

03 Cobra heater box in its new home

Welded up a stock 5.0 radiator so the stock 03 fan bolted directly on

03 tank bolted in and custom built filler neck

Went with a set of greg welds and some MT drag radials

These are more of the present photos and where we are at right now with the car. This is the built motor for the turbo combo and starting to get the complete turbo kit worked out and moving forward

Soon to be downpipe:

This is the custom setup I mentioned above how I built the 03 cobra cluster into the stock dash

Ill try to answer questions as I can and will continue to add photos and details when I am able to make headway with the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
what size rear tire is that???

Car/92 5.0/ Engine stock block/ and bolt-ons.. [email protected] (sold)

97 Cobra All stock for now...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
awesome. would have been cool to keep the blower for an awesome compound boost car

2001 Ford Lightning-stock
1992 Ford Mustang-bolt ons+turbo. 11.8 @115. 1.64 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Rear tires are Mt DRs, 275/50-15

We were considering the do a compound boost but with after weighing out all options, we just felt it was going to be best going with just turbo.

we started the downpipe, its going to be single 3.5 all the way back. Also we chopped up the merge pipe a little to make the turbo sit over a little further. That gave us more room for the On3 Performance 60mm wastegate to fit under the downpipe and still get to it.

post #5 of 36 Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Interesting. I have contemplated doing a modular into a fox, but the amount of wiring necessary deters me. Just the damn tedium of it all...

Curious as to which K-member you went with?
post #6 of 36 Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Will you be running ac on this? Man I'm almost done with my setup. I'm about done with the motor and now moving on to the wiring. Do you have any info on the door wiring that you can share? I'd appreciate it. Only issue I have is I'm running a MM kmember vs your UPR.

Coyote Notch in progress!!
post #7 of 36 Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Wiring is time consuming and I was worried but I just rewired the entire car with the 03 harness to make things easier. There wasnt really much splicing besides for at the doors to keep all the power stuff working. Im running upr currently

I have everything on the car to be able to run the a/c but Im not sure Ill put it on right now. Condenser is installed and only thing I would have to do is throw the lines on and compressor. Ill see how much street driving it gets and if I change my mind, its just an afternoon project
post #8 of 36 Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 AM

I have the MM kit how much modification do you think I will need to make this kit work?

post #9 of 36 Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
That looks sick. Can't wait to see it all finished up.

2016 Chevy SS sedan: Stock with a tune.

2004 mustang GT comp orange: UPR front suspension, Team Z rear suspension, built 8.8, MM cage, build in progress.
post #10 of 36 Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I just wouldnt know about the mm fitment with the combo. I actually cut it all up and moved the turbo over further to make room for a larger downpipe, wastegate, and the custom air to water intercooler setup. If I would have just installed a slim fan, the stock forward facing setup would have just bolted on with the one mod to the primary we did to clear the steering shaft.

I cannot wait to get the car up and running, its dragging on but I just never get time to work on my own personal projects. I hired someone to work a few hours here and there on fabricating just to ensure we are making headway. Its coming along, just slower than I care for. We build a custom fuel hat for the mod motor tank we are running in it. Its a trick setup, Ill have to get photos up soon

post #11 of 36 Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 PM

I have the same steering shaft. Is that the MM steering hybrid shaft for the 03 steering rack? If so would you be able to mod a forward facing header like you did for yourself for my setup?

post #12 of 36 Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes thats the same steering shaft and we will be able to modify the header to clear the steering shaft. It will be around $80 for roughly an hour of labor and material
post #13 of 36 Old 10-13-2011, 01:32 AM

Looks slow.

heads up with the flat black notch?

I'll just use one stage so it dont look so bad

I am on3 dealer. message me for some killer deals
post #14 of 36 Old 10-13-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Anyday rob, Ill make sure to mount the go pro on the back bumper so we can watch me drag you down the track

We got the downpipe ran to the trans crossmember last night and need to decide how I want to run it from there. I want to run tailpipes but I like how the mod motor cars sound with just single exhaust. I need to make up my mind so I can get that finished. Then we started the intercooler stuff as well. Got the elbow welded on the outlet and to the throttle body mocked up. Tonight we are going to weld another elbow to the inlet and get the tubing ran to the compressor.

Not really much to see but figured I'd post up a few photos

post #15 of 36 Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 PM

bawhahahahahaha..... u funny...

still slow

post #16 of 36 Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (40)
i dont know if you mentioned it or not, but are you planning to eventually mass produce this setup for 4v swap fox's?

looks like its going to be a fun car
post #17 of 36 Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I dont think we will produce it, we could maybe build them on an order basis down the road in-house. The price wont be as appealing as our current kits but Im sure we could do something like this for you if interested. As of now though, we were just building the car without plans to produce a 4v fox kit
post #18 of 36 Old 10-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
[QUOTE=On 3 Performance;10683479]IAs for the transmission I knew I was planning on building the car to eventually race in the true street class so went with a built c4 for the time being. [\QUOTE]

Cool car. Have seen a couple of turbo mod motor fox cars, makes for a very streetable setup.

Looking forward to seeing it out at a True Street race.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #19 of 36 Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (6)
Looks sweet! Hopefully you can get it done this year. I am in the same process as you building a 90 notch that will have a 4v and turbo but mine wont come together as quick as yours, being a one man team as well as the fundings so hopefully in about 4-5 yrs it will be back on the road lol. Also If you would shoot me a round about price for the turbo kit setup or atleast what you think you might sale them for.
post #20 of 36 Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

thanks its been a long project and now changing directions for the 2nd time to go turbo, that slowed me way down. Its coming along finally though and hopefully we will have this 2011 build and 2010 Camaro soon, both of those have really pulled me away from making progress. Just want to make sure I have it ready to go by spring no questions asked.

We could put together a setup for the fox swapped cars but might be easier to talk to you on the phone. There are a few ways we can do it and put something together
post #21 of 36 Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 PM

How much different would it be if someone wanted to do a turbo 2v coupe?
post #22 of 36 Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 PM

this is a great build! im currently in the process of swapping in an 03 cobra heater box with a fox dash.. what did you do for the main hvac vent. the 03 is angled and the fox is flat. also how did you go about making the guage cluster bezel fit? . thank you..
post #23 of 36 Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM

needs more updates....

post #24 of 36 Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

It had to give up its spot on the lift and just had too many other things going on to be able to really make headway. I went and picked up all the fuel lines and fittings so Im ready to put that all together very soon. Lots of little things should start happening with the car soon I hope. Finally have a little time and a free lift at the shop now.

As for the 2v, shouldnt be too difficult to make that all work. I dont think it would be any more involved to do a 2v or 4v.

Ill dig up the photos of the dash mods and cutting the header box. It did get cut up quite a bit and had the dash out at least 15 times to get it right. After finished though, it lined up good and just used the aluminum hvac tape to seal any gaps and should work perfect
post #25 of 36 Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM

thanks..they would be real helpfulll!!! good luck with the build
post #26 of 36 Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

The gauge cluster took way too much time but I think the end result is worth it. Looks like they belong in the car and are 100% functional. I basically fiberglassed in the back of the cluster to build a bucket. Made tabs also in each corner that I could build a little bracket off each side of the dash bezel that would hold the cluster. Its hard to really go step by step because everything was pretty much custom made but should give you a good idea of what I did

post #27 of 36 Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Any updates on this project? I am building a very similar coupe and would like to see the results. I will be contacting you guys for a kit soon.
post #28 of 36 Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
how hard was wiring the ignition and fuel and gauges? I have already sold the 5.0 stuff and should be getting a donor car today (fingers crossed). just curious how bad the basics to get it running where and any hints you may have.

i wont have any power anything so that makes it a little easier for me.

Thanks.

93 SC Coupe Best ET [email protected] - SOLD
96 Cobra - Xpipe, 2 chambers, K&N, 4:30s [email protected]
post #29 of 36 Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I havent made any progress, I havent had a second to work on it. I just put it back on the lift and Im making time now for my projects. Im going to get started back on it, really dont have a lot left till I can crank it over. I finished up the fuel system and did our triple pump setup, our new custom baffled fuel tank, etc. I have to finish up and weld brackets on the air to water reservoir. Wish I just had a little more time to get it finished. Some of my new GM turbo system designs have taken up all my free time as well as trying to wrap up the new 2011 5.0 twin kit.
post #30 of 36 Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I have had zero time over the last few months to work on the project but things are finally getting back under control. So I have been trying to finish up on this coupe and get it on the road. Its finally up and running, moving under its own power. Very good feeling after a couple years of working on it here and there to get it running again. I have to figure out why I cannot get rear brakes and head to the dyno for a tune. Just a few recent photos

This is the new cooling upgrade I have worked with Modularspeed to put into production

post #31 of 36 Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Looking good sir. Keep us updated.

That thing is going to move out very well.

2015 S550 GT - 2.3 TVS Powered on 17" Radials
Stock Trans / Stock Converter / 1.28 Sixties
[email protected] Boost --- ([email protected] Boost/Spray)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #32 of 36 Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I have a lot of effort in the project and it turned out pretty much exactly how I had planned.

I got the brakes sorted out last night and the flush mounted hood latches wrapped up. I lost a driveshaft bolt and had to order one in yesterday. So its really about as ready as its going to get for the dyno. He wants me to put some break in miles on it so I wont have final numbers yet. At least Ill be able to drive it around and hit up the local meets with it. Hopefully all goes well and Ill be able to maybe make a few passes at the track this year down at mustang week with it. Thats my goal at least
post #33 of 36 Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Any updates on this? Very nice setup you have. I may have to look in to a kit for my 4v fox.
post #34 of 36 Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I took it over to get a tune on it but we had a few issues. Once he got it on the dyno and starting a pull the 2 step was acting up and we are going to ditch it for the mean time. The coils in the car wouldnt plug into the engine harness so we basically just had to stop. My new coils are here today and Im going to swap them out later. Just have a few other small tweaks I need to make as well. The optima battery was junk that was in the car and would not hold a charge. So that created other issues

Hopefully here within a week or so we will have it back on the dyno for some pulls and so I can finally start putting some miles on it
post #35 of 36 Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Any updates on your project? did you retain any of the fox body harness or wiring?

-1989 Mustang LX- 4.6L DOHC, stroked to 5.0, bored .20 over, Kellogg stroker crank, manley h beam rods w/ ARP2000 bolts, Diamond notched pistons and dished -10 cc, ARP head studs, Ported and polished 4v (B) heads with stock cams, Tremec TR-3650, Maximum Motorsports Grip box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement