turbo mufflers - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
turbo mufflers

What Is a good free flowing straight through muffler that doesn't rob power, im currently running flowmaster 50 series mufflers

93 reef blue ported stock heads f-cam gt40 intake On3 performance 70mm turbo 12psi and a c4 and 3.55 gears 11.22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrantz1106 View Post
What Is a good free flowing straight through muffler that doesn't rob power, im currently running flowmaster 50 series mufflers
Do people ever search before posting questions?

This topic cant be beat to death anymore.....

dynomax....magnaflow....hooker maxflows...pypes....

-Nate
'95 GT
post #3 of 15 Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Mkrantz1106 – What is it that you don’t like about your Flowmaster 50 Series mufflers? Straight through mufflers don’t necessarily flow better than Flowmaster mufflers.

Just because the Flowmaster isn’t a straight through muffler, doesn’t mean it robs power. It does quite the opposite. The internal design of a Flowmaster muffler manipulates exhaust pulses that come from the exhaust valves opening and closing. The design actually increases flow that actually increases velocity through the muffler. There’s a lot of science that goes into the internal design of a Flowmaster muffler to make it outperform other mufflers on the market.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Flowmaster Mufflers
Toll Free Technical Support: 1-800-544-4761

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmaster View Post
Mkrantz1106 – What is it that you don’t like about your Flowmaster 50 Series mufflers? Straight through mufflers don’t necessarily flow better than Flowmaster mufflers.

Just because the Flowmaster isn’t a straight through muffler, doesn’t mean it robs power. It does quite the opposite. The internal design of a Flowmaster muffler manipulates exhaust pulses that come from the exhaust valves opening and closing. The design actually increases flow that actually increases velocity through the muffler. There’s a lot of science that goes into the internal design of a Flowmaster muffler to make it outperform other mufflers on the market.

Sounds good. But...

http://www.turbomustangs.com/mufflerswap.php

It's widely known/told that flows hurt power on turbo cars.

Not true? Throw out your pictures/theory and show proof.

Dyno/track comparisons between your muffler and competitors on the same car. Post results. Make it public. Video it.

If what u claim is true then it should've been done. People love the flowmaster sound. EVERY single forum has people posting they don't flow. They lose power.

Posting the sales brochure won't change that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Nate
'95 GT
post #5 of 15 Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM

Yeah flowmaster is just trying to back up there product on this one.

Run a magnaflow- dynoma ultra flow- borla xr1- pypes race pro

All of those are good sounding quieter straight threw designs

93 Teal Cobra- precision 67mm turbo
00 Formula
02 Z06 supercharged(sold)
post #6 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZ View Post
Yeah flowmaster is just trying to back up there product on this one.

Run a magnaflow- dynoma ultra flow- borla xr1- pypes race pro

All of those are good sounding quieter straight threw designs

To get the best performance out of a chambered Flowmaster in a Turbo application, you need to upsize the muffler diameter .5”. This makes up for the changes the turbo makes in the exhaust pulses.

These Pro-Series mufflers have proven to be awesome performers in Turbo applications.

post #7 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 07:43 PM

I bet the flowmaster outlaw would work well since it's like a straight three dyno max bullet but would be very loud.

That hushpower may work well too in a half size larger . I wonder if
The hushpower I'd a straight threw or a swirl style like Moroso spiral flows

93 Teal Cobra- precision 67mm turbo
00 Formula
02 Z06 supercharged(sold)
post #8 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 07:56 PM

Garage
Dynomax bullets 3 inch
post #9 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 08:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
Sounds good. But...

The Turbo Forums.com

It's widely known/told that flows hurt power on turbo cars.

Not true? Throw out your pictures/theory and show proof.

Dyno/track comparisons between your muffler and competitors on the same car. Post results. Make it public. Video it.

If what u claim is true then it should've been done. People love the flowmaster sound. EVERY single forum has people posting they don't flow. They lose power.

Posting the sales brochure won't change that!

I clicked your link and found this:

"The current exhaust consisted of some really, really old 2.5" flowmasters circa 1991. Apparently that is all that was installed because it looks like the tailpipes are still stock 2.25" units."

The power gain could have been a result of the change to 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust/tail pipes, the new mufflers or a combination of them both. Check out this pic from the thread. Whoever installed the flowmasters did a terrible job:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am no flowmaster fan but this guy's results don't prove anything. If you want to know for sure you'd need to dyno the car, swap mufflers and nothing else, dyno the car again.

92 Hatch On3 Turbo, T56
92 Vert 349 Lunati Stroker T5
87 Gt Eddy HCI T5
87 Notch in progress

Last edited by fmyth; 09-22-2011 at 08:14 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowman View Post
To get the best performance out of a chambered Flowmaster in a Turbo application, you need to upsize the muffler diameter .5”. This makes up for the changes the turbo makes in the exhaust pulses.

These Pro-Series mufflers have proven to be awesome performers in Turbo applications.

Interesting first post.

I have heard the "half inch" rule before but have not seen it proven. (more reason flowmaster should publish proof)

I personally find it hard to believe that is the flow restriction on the mufflers. A 2.5" pipe that's 5" long can flow a ton. How is bumping that up to 3" helping if the system isn't using all of that 2.5" flow?

Just don't see on identical systems...same size mufflers....that section of pipe on each side u are increasing is probably a total length of maybe 12". That means the 5 ft of pipe in front of the mufflers flows more than those 2 small sections. The point of restriction comes from the mufflers guts....

I'm just guessing and thinking outloud. Again. Flowmaster has a ton to gain by proving themselves....yet it is all u hear on forums....they don't flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZ View Post
I bet the flowmaster outlaw would work well since it's like a straight three dyno max bullet but would be very loud.

That hushpower may work well too in a half size larger . I wonder if
The hushpower I'd a straight threw or a swirl style like Moroso spiral flows
The outlaw is just another bullet. Flowmasters big seller is their classic sound. The outlaw doesn't sound like like that. But. It will not rob power like u said.

Hushpower has a weird centersection. Has perforated cones or something....supposed to redirect sound waves or something. The exhaust has hurdles in it's path so it must be limited compared to straight thru mufflers.

One day I'll test em all! Lol

-Nate
'95 GT
post #11 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
The power gain could have been a result of the change to 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust/tail pipes, the new mufflers or a combination of them both.
I completely agree. If it had the stock flow tubes and tails on. Those things are dented and kinked to ####. That could make a difference in it self. I infact just switched out my stock pipes that surrounded my mufflers for 2.5" madrel bent pipes. Im also going to the dyno on October 15th for a club dyno days. so I be running the same as before with only a piping change. We will see then if it makes a difference. But this does nothing for the fact of Flowmaster VS other brands on turbo setups. That's why all Flowmaster would have to do is front me a catback kit with a upsized chambered mufflers and hushpower mufflers along with some dyno cash. Then I'll dyno test and document the difference in results back to them and all over the forums. Don't get me wrong I would love to run some Flows on my car, but I too was one of many who made the change to a straight though design when switching to turbo. I currently run Pypes Race Pros.

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.

Last edited by 71swing; 09-24-2011 at 01:08 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmyth View Post
I clicked your link and found this:

"The current exhaust consisted of some really, really old 2.5" flowmasters circa 1991. Apparently that is all that was installed because it looks like the tailpipes are still stock 2.25" units."

The power gain could have been a result of the change to 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust/tail pipes, the new mufflers or a combination of them both. Check out this pic from the thread. Whoever installed the flowmasters did a terrible job:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am no flowmaster fan but this guy's results don't prove anything. If you want to know for sure you'd need to dyno the car, swap mufflers and nothing else, dyno the car again.
Good point.

-Nate
'95 GT
post #13 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I have 3 chambered Flowmasters on my TT notch and like them. You always hear that "flowmasters suck for turbos" but I never felt like my car is down on power with this setup (stockish motor-GT40ps, edelbrock peformere intake, all smog intact: 420/502 at 10 psi). That being said, I am running a 2.25 catted H-pipe into a 2.5 inch Flowmaster catback. It sounds really mellow but nice. I inherited the system when I got the car as a 4 cyl project. The fit is way way better than the brand new pypes system I got for my 97.
It would be interesting to see if the notch picked up power with different mufflers but somehow I doubt it.
I would like to hear more from the flowmaster rep. It is in their interest to dispell this myth if it is one....
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #14 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 12:52 PM

I went with Dynomax ultra flows on my build. Pretty quiet. I was running Mac flowpaths on my old NA set up and was ready for a change. It's nice to be able to have a converstaion in the car and be able to hear for once lol.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
I have 3 chambered Flowmasters on my TT notch and like them. You always hear that "flowmasters suck for turbos" but I never felt like my car is down on power with this setup (stockish motor-GT40ps, edelbrock peformere intake, all smog intact: 420/502 at 10 psi). That being said, I am running a 2.25 catted H-pipe into a 2.5 inch Flowmaster catback. It sounds really mellow but nice. I inherited the system when I got the car as a 4 cyl project. The fit is way way better than the brand new pypes system I got for my 97.
It would be interesting to see if the notch picked up power with different mufflers but somehow I doubt it.
I would like to hear more from the flowmaster rep. It is in their interest to dispell this myth if it is one....
Erich
A post in this thread would be a great start

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-mustangs.html

I actually hate the straight thru muffler sound. So I'd really love to hear chambered mufflers do not hold back that much power.

-Nate
'95 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement