big plans for 94 mustang gt! 331 turbo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
big plans for 94 mustang gt! 331 turbo

hey all, i got big plans for a DSS build 331 stroker turbo setup, thats going in a 94 gt with full interior! my goal is to have 700 800 rwhp in a street-able car. i know some peoples ideas of street-able is different, my idea is to be able to drive it to the strip on pump gas, run some passes and drive it home.. with AC and power steering not a DD or a long road trip car, but able to tool around town. now.. can anyone look at my set up and tell me what my weakest link is going to be with my goals?

looking at the on3 single turbo kit with upgraded turbo.

331 dss longblock, rated to 1000+ hp
trick flow track heat manifold
75mm TB
afr 205
dart block
forged everything, 8.5:1 Comp
7 qt oil pan, windage tray
fully CNC machines block, and heads, fully blueprinted and balanced.
arp hardware.
28oz imbalance fly and balancer,
2 core alum radiator, with 180 thermostat

msd 6al box,
hvc blaster 2 coil
9mm ford racing wires.
msd distributor cap

glenn's
GP 1000HP Mustang Sleeper Tank Fuel System
83lb injectors with pmas Meter.

stock computer, with STC chip.

king cobra clutch, (dont think its going to hold up to long)

rebuilt T5 with tko500 internals, (not sure how long this tranny will last long either)

ford racing alum drive shaft,
built 8.8 rear end. with 31spline axles 3.73 gears.

tubular subframe connectors,

also not sure what lower arms are in my rear end, they dont look like the stock ones.

can anyone give me some advice on what my weak link is ? and if a 700 800 rwhp streetable stang is possible with this setup? traction is not my priority right now, just making big dyno numbers is my first mark. then traction will be my next adventure. this car wont see the track until i know im not gona break stuff on my first launch. ! any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Cam? f303 or custom grind?

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swing View Post
Cam? f303 or custom grind?

sorry forgot to post custom grind comp cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
if you're going pump gas, that combo will not get you over 700RW...believe me I have the same combo but with a better turbo that on3 no longer offers unless you go with their new ceramic option...my motor is also better than anything DSS offers internal wise...but I don't think that their 331 will limit the amount of HP you'll make

the Track heat intake will hold you back a few HP as well..

but on E85...700RW is attainable....the clutch and trans will be your weak points on both the street and track....just not built to handle the tq. these things produce...800RW is going to be out of the question with the On3 kit unless you do some customizing and run a bigger turbo, over 22 pounds of boost on a bigger than T76 turbo, and fortify the header the turbo mounts to

and BTW...I drove mine from LA to Sacramento (400+ miles) and had no issues...except having to carry 15 gallons of E85 with me...
post #5 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
my 2 cents....
No way i'd put a on3 kit on something like that.
If you already spent that much on parts there's no since in half-assin it on the turbo kit.

Thats about what i'm shooting for with my setup. Its pretty close to yours except i'm 363ci. and i built a custom twin setup with 62mm's.

BTW, i got my car from a guy in jacksonville, nc. i cant think of his name right off.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

okay thanks for the great feedback, do you guys think 600rwhp is a more reasonable goal without spending another arm and a leg to get to the 800 mark?(as in buying new tranny and clutch and suspension that can candle it) i do feel like im cheaping out on the turbo kit, but i figured 2000 dollars for on3 with the master power turbo would be a good entry level kit for someone whos new to turbo side of boost.

and if i do get the on3 what is the first thing i should upgrade for safety concerns? i dont have much faith in cheap parts, you get what you pay for. i dont want anything cheap that can potentially damage my motor.

are my 3.73 gears going to be okay for what im trying to do? im scared that they will limit my time in boost with all the short shifts times and maybe not putting enough load on the engine to spool a bigger turbo in between thos shifts? is this true? or is my understanding of how the turbos work off?

does anyone have any turbo recommendations? my car is full weight with AC and PS stock k member. i have a fiberglass hood and plans for light weight weld rims with slicks for the track.

i need a turbo that i can grow into when the rest of the setup is ready for more power! but not crazy enough that i cant spool it with 3.73s ? also trying to keep it t4 flange for less fabrication.

also what intake manifold should i start looking for since my TFS track heat wont help me get the numbers im looking for? (whats the most HP you guys have gotten with a track heat manifold?)

how come e85 can get you high HP than 93 octane? im really a novice when it comes to fuel selection, but id really prefer to keep it pump gas! so i can keep it streetable in my eyes.

thanks!
post #7 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 PM

3:73s I didn't see boost till 3rd gear most of the time. 3:27s are the popular choice. They do make a big difference. You may even want to go lower like 3:08s?

Those horse power goals your going to want a much bigger turbo than a t76.

Here is a link to a local guy to me that has a little higher goals than you 1500 but will give you an idea. He's also running E85. But he is currently around 700hp with tuning issues to still workout. I do agree that that the On3 kit is not the way to go, that will limit you power goals.

MidwestStangs.com • View topic - One of my builds 93 GT

have you checked out www.turbomustangs.com ? 700 hp power turbo cars over there are a dime a dozen. They could set you on the right track, they just don't take a likings to anyone asking a questions that's been asked before. So research the threads first.

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman242 View Post
okay thanks for the great feedback, do you guys think 600rwhp is a more reasonable goal without spending another arm and a leg to get to the 800 mark?(as in buying new tranny and clutch and suspension that can candle it) i do feel like im cheaping out on the turbo kit, but i figured 2000 dollars for on3 with the master power turbo would be a good entry level kit for someone whos new to turbo side of boost.

and if i do get the on3 what is the first thing i should upgrade for safety concerns? i dont have much faith in cheap parts, you get what you pay for. i dont want anything cheap that can potentially damage my motor.

are my 3.73 gears going to be okay for what im trying to do? im scared that they will limit my time in boost with all the short shifts times and maybe not putting enough load on the engine to spool a bigger turbo in between thos shifts? is this true? or is my understanding of how the turbos work off?

does anyone have any turbo recommendations? my car is full weight with AC and PS stock k member. i have a fiberglass hood and plans for light weight weld rims with slicks for the track.

i need a turbo that i can grow into when the rest of the setup is ready for more power! but not crazy enough that i cant spool it with 3.73s ? also trying to keep it t4 flange for less fabrication.

also what intake manifold should i start looking for since my TFS track heat wont help me get the numbers im looking for? (whats the most HP you guys have gotten with a track heat manifold?)

how come e85 can get you high HP than 93 octane? im really a novice when it comes to fuel selection, but id really prefer to keep it pump gas! so i can keep it streetable in my eyes.

thanks!
600rw is easily attainable on pump as with your build...and on3 kits have been hit or miss as of late..

I'm a hit on my end as my install went somewhat well but sure that my kit will last a long time.

not much to upgrade on the kit itself but I would opt in for the ball bearing turbo...there will be other stuff you'll want to get like heat wrap, turbo blanket and other items..

a good tune will go a loooooong way

and yeah 3.73's will limit you..I'd swap for 3.27's and you'll be perfect for a street beast

and if you wanted to save some money, you can stay master power...never hear anything but good about them...

but for manifolds, I would look towards a Systemax or RPM2...

E85 burns a lot cooler like race gas but it does use 30-35% more fuel than gas so just keep that in mind for a driver...plus it's not so readily available....
post #9 of 19 Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey all its been a while! but here is the update on my car! fuel system in, motor shipping from DSS this week, upgraded my arp bolts to arp head studs. and i got a used HP stage two turbo kit from a fellow forum member, Bikewiz. it came with a 67mm turbo. and his forum has been super helpful to my build so far. oh i also got the behind bars race cars fuel rails! i'll have some pictures posted soon hopefully once more stuff goes into the car. also got a battery relocation kit to make more room under the hood!...

custom grind turbo cam from comp cams.

now my question is trannys? what trans is the best bang for the buck? tko500? what clutch would be a good strong clutch that has a race feel to it but is still kinda drivable in stop and go traffic?
post #10 of 19 Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 PM

Tko600 and t56 magnum (6 speed) would probably both do the trick. Also check out Astro Performance and G-Force transmissions as they both have good reputations and customer service from what I've read.

post #11 of 19 Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Go auto and dont look back.

95 GT-306, cnc Victor Jr's,R intake, GT4788,Glide,E85,28's
95 cobra-MM suspension, bolt ons, DD
post #12 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Heres another update on the build! lots and lots of setbacks with DSS.. but hopefully this time everything will be right! i am going with the spec 5 clutch for now! i have a feeling its going to put hell on my trans so i dont think ill be power shifting anytime soon! or doing any hard launches at the track!

im leaning towards a tko500 because i would like to keep my driveshaft i just got recently and bellhousing! a 6 speed does sound nice though!

hopefully i'll be on the road before christmas! thanks for all your info guys!
post #13 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swing View Post
I do agree that that the On3 kit is not the way to go, that will limit you power goals.

Just curious, and not trying to start a flame war. But what is your basis for that statement?

1989 5.0 T5 LX Hatch - Explorer Short Block with an FMS F-303 cam, TFS TW170 heads, Tmoss Ported Cobra Intake, an On3 Turbo Kit with a 67mm Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo, and backed by a T56 Magnum 6spd with 3.55's
post #14 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Garage
Check D&D performance. I have their T56 and Mcleod RST Twin clutch and Loooove it. I have gone through 2 spec clutches, ram clutch, cobra clutch..... The pedal was horrible on all of them compared to the twin. I actually have a softer pedal than stock.

Go for 120lb injectors and E85 if it's in your area. Free horsepower and is going to run a lot cooler. I wish I did it from the start. Next on my STD list

3.08 or 3.27's for sure. I started with 4.10's, have 3.55's now and building a 3.27 rear end now. BIG difference - Load that turbo and put it to use.

I would go 78mm or 88mm turbo... I don't think you'll get a 88mm to fit without modification. You can get a Turbonetics for 825-850 ish and have a warranty, built here in the US.

Forged 383CI - Turbonetics 78mm 3.5" DP - Stage III TFS - E-303 1.7RR - T56 - Mcleod RST Twin
post #15 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I going to go out on a limb and say probably.
You will need to changed injectors to 120's
you'll need bigger heads AFR 225
also a better cam (matched for heads, power adder, and hp goals
E-85
defintely not a "STC" chip.... I know you meant SCT haha
( BS3, Fast, or holley etc...)
and Bob Kurgan as your tuner!
You would need at least a 78mm turbo. They're rated between 950-1100hp.

I think you'll get 600hp
good luck and I hope you can prove me wrong

KMS West member, SoCal Chapter
Tuned by Bob Kurgan April 20,2012 at GTR

410w, AFR 225's, solid roller, 91mm, Bigstuff3, 120's, E85, TeamZ...
post #16 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (10)
chrisman..

give me a call on monday to discuss some things and i can also save you some money on parts.. we are an hr from atlanta, so maybe we can do your tuning as well... there are some things with your combo that i see wrong, so i'd like to help you buy the right parts the first time

thanks bob

PLEASE EMAIL --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- DO NOT PM for prices or tuning!

815-669-RACE (7223) <--- Sales

Please visit our e-store --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---

Chicagolands largest Vortech dealer since 2006!

We stock many parts! If you dont see it, just ask!

Before you buy ANY mustang part, give us a chance. We accept mastercard and visa.
Authorized SCT, AEM, Diablosport, Vortech, Paxton, BS3, FAST, UPR, PA Racing, Harland Sharp, Team Z, GMS, Trickflow, Kooks, and MANY MORE!

post #17 of 19 Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I do agree that that the On3 kit is not the way to go, that will limit you power goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTICSVT View Post
Just curious, and not trying to start a flame war. But what is your basis for that statement?
This was my opinion, not a fact. I don't need a basis to give an opinion, But since you so kindly asked. How many On3 users pushing 800hp that he stated hes looking for with their kits?

Quote:
Those horse power goals your going to want a much bigger turbo than a t76.
Quote:
600rw is easily attainable on pump as with your build...and on3 kits have been hit or miss as of late..
Quote:
my 2 cents....
No way i'd put a on3 kit on something like that.
If you already spent that much on parts there's no since in half-assin it on the turbo kit.
Quote:
800RW is going to be out of the question with the On3 kit unless you do some customizing and run a bigger turbo, over 22 pounds of boost on a bigger than T76 turbo, and fortify the header the turbo mounts to
Quote:
If you want to run an 88 it's best to go with a custom kit. Runnin an on3 kit with that size turbo is kinda pointless IMO

post #18 of 19 Old 10-20-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Hey all! Sorry for such a long time going on and no updates! a lot has happened with my car! first of all i got it running and broke in dyno tuned around 550 whp 550 tq's and i was super happy with my build! like all of you said my tranny blew up! so i called D&D and got a t56 magnum and another spec 5 clutch disk to match it... was back on the road again! i could not believe how much of a difference the t56 was from the t5 (shifts so smooth).

then it happend..... had an engine fire... it got so hot under the hood my flippin fuel line burst! (Lesson number 586 on building a turbo mustang... use steel braided fuel lines) luckly for me i had my buddy with me and we happend to catch fire on my street and i got it out with a garden hose.. damage was everything plastic under my hood melted off... insurance totaled my car out, i used the money to buy it back and rebuild it.. had to replace all sensors and wiring harnesses and paint a lot of stuff but the engine/turbo kit and new trans was okay. so i took the liberty to upgrade my turbo while i was at it and got a turbonetics t76, (after i got it on i dont know how much of an upgrade it was).

Then i went to get my car tuned with the new turbo, had a lot of blow by issues and then pressurized my cooling system.. so i figured my headgasket was done.. pulled the heads off and what do i see?? chuncks missing out of my DSS pistons! WTF... so Now, finally the engine is rebuilt with new pistons and back in the car, tuned properly and on the road... only for me to find a hole in my radiator 1 month after driving it.... It never ends..

im going to get some pictures on here to show you guys the many evolutions of this build! im almost at my wits end with it but every time its on the road and i drive it my face hurts from smiling so much.

have any of you guys had this much costly problems with your builds? going fast sure is not cheap!. i guess the best lesson ive learned is you absolutely get what you pay for..
post #19 of 19 Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman242 View Post
Hey all! Sorry for such a long time going on and no updates! a lot has happened with my car! first of all i got it running and broke in dyno tuned around 550 whp 550 tq's and i was super happy with my build! like all of you said my tranny blew up! so i called D&D and got a t56 magnum and another spec 5 clutch disk to match it... was back on the road again! i could not believe how much of a difference the t56 was from the t5 (shifts so smooth).

then it happend..... had an engine fire... it got so hot under the hood my flippin fuel line burst! (Lesson number 586 on building a turbo mustang... use steel braided fuel lines) luckly for me i had my buddy with me and we happend to catch fire on my street and i got it out with a garden hose.. damage was everything plastic under my hood melted off... insurance totaled my car out, i used the money to buy it back and rebuild it.. had to replace all sensors and wiring harnesses and paint a lot of stuff but the engine/turbo kit and new trans was okay. so i took the liberty to upgrade my turbo while i was at it and got a turbonetics t76, (after i got it on i dont know how much of an upgrade it was).

Then i went to get my car tuned with the new turbo, had a lot of blow by issues and then pressurized my cooling system.. so i figured my headgasket was done.. pulled the heads off and what do i see?? chuncks missing out of my DSS pistons! WTF... so Now, finally the engine is rebuilt with new pistons and back in the car, tuned properly and on the road... only for me to find a hole in my radiator 1 month after driving it.... It never ends..

im going to get some pictures on here to show you guys the many evolutions of this build! im almost at my wits end with it but every time its on the road and i drive it my face hurts from smiling so much.

have any of you guys had this much costly problems with your builds? going fast sure is not cheap!. i guess the best lesson ive learned is you absolutely get what you pay for..
to make "big" power is always going to cost big money...even the small parts you may need to replace will be expensive...

i.e. I had to replace my link bar lifters..well that's a $500 replacement compared to $100 on a regular 302...

'18 Charger Hellcat
95 Cobra - Comp Billet PT8047 DIY Turbo and 340CI A4 Car
Palm Beach Dyno tuned - juuuuuuuust a little over 385RWHP....
RIP - Jerry"BabyLove" Glover ....1952 to 2012...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement