What mufflers to use - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
Garage
What mufflers to use

I just ordered the ON3 67turbo for a 88 GT. My exhaust is H-pipe and Flowmaster 2 1/2. Do I have to change mufflers if yes what mufflers should I get. I would like to keep the same sound as the Flowmasters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
you can buy the on3 y-pipe and use the current flowmasters

or run a single exhaust from the down pipe with one muffler

from what guys say on here a straigt through muffler is going to out perform a flowmaster or chambered muffler, but they can be ran, just turn the knob up if you need more power.
I have a friend running flowmaster knock offs on his turbo 514 without problems

Current: 04 Gt, sonic blue, 3.73s, 2.5" custom o/r exhaust, diablo tune, cai.

Sold: 90lx, stock short block & cam, TFS 170's, 1.72rr, typhoon intake, on3 kit 70mm, AOD, 4.10 gear, cobra 39s, C&L maf, stock tune, 11psi boost
post #3 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (14)
I read somewhere that the chambered muffler created a resonance wave that can cause havoc on the turbine wheel... BS maybe.. I think it was a at a turbonetics turbo conference back in 2001..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
im running dynomax ultra flows
post #5 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 PM

Ultra flows here too. Super quiet with the turbo.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 AM

I got a 3" DP into a flowmaster y-pipe into 2-2.5" Pypes racepro straight though mufflers, but I still have the stock dented 2.25" tails with 3" chrome tips. I get beef from my brother all the time on how quiet the car is. I have a pair of flowmaster 2.5 tails that I was going actually put on tomorrow to see if I can get a little more idle out of it. I miss the flowmaster sound that I took off when I went turbo.

No matter what muffler you choose I think it will be quiet. And turbo cars just sound like crap without mufflers. Flowmaster will tell you to just run their muffler 2 sizes bigger than normal with reducers to fit your piping. But I have yet to find somebody with that setup. I don't feel like spending more money to find out. Maybe they should just donate me some and I'll be their spokesman for running them on turbo cars.

Last week I raced my brother on the interstate at night coming home from a local car show. He only has a N/A mustang so it was even a challenge to say the least. But as I was coming over a slight hill with him 15 cars behind. There were two state troopers sitting there.thought I was died busted, but They didn’t budge with me flying by at 120mph. My brother later joked saying "I don't think those cops even heard you go by".

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Benefits of being quiet. But can't u hear the wastegate? If I recall correctly the on3 kit has it vented to the atmosphere

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctony View Post
Benefits of being quiet. But can't u hear the wastegate? If I recall correctly the on3 kit has it vented to the atmosphere

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure if that question was directed at me or not. I don't have On3 kit. My setup is stage1 Ponydown kit. Which had the open waste gate. But I got tired of that god awful noise fast, so I piped my back into the down pipe.

Now I cut off the factor 2.25 dented to #### tails that I said I was Going to do above. Now the car is way to loud. Sounds similar to open headers. Has that terrible vibration that open headers have. So I will move forward and put the mandrel bent 2.5 flowmaster tails I have and see if I can find a happy medium. But I think i'll just live with it after that, regardless if it's to quiet. Personally I'd rather be on the quiet side.

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Ghost88 – 71Swing is right about upsizing the Flowmaster mufflers in order to get the most power out of them with a turbo setup, but it’s only necessary to upsize an additional ½” larger than the diameter of the exhaust tubing. This increases the internal case size so you don’t hamper velocity going through the muffler.

We also have Pro-Series (previously known as Hushpower Pro-Series) and Outlaw mufflers that are great for turbo and supercharged applications without upsizing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Flowmaster Mufflers
Toll Free Technical Support: 1-800-544-4761

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement