what's the differance between megasquirt 2 and 3? anything big? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
what's the differance between megasquirt 2 and 3? anything big?

any feed back would be great, im thinking about getting a mega squirt so i can tune my car my self

93 reef blue ported stock heads f-cam gt40 intake On3 performance 70mm turbo 12psi and a c4 and 3.55 gears 11.22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
MS3 has no PNP harness, you'd have to wire it up yourself.
Other than that, the MS3 is far superior to the MS2. It has sequential injection (best the MS2 can do is batch fire), the ability to run coil on plug ignition, can support as many as 8 wideband O2 sensors for individual cylinder tuning, has an on-board SD card for data logging (you have to have your lap top plugged in to datalog with the MS2) and can be tuned using a USB cable as opposed to the MS2's antiquated serial cable. It also has (if you build it with the MS3X expansion board) 4 switchable inputs for launch control, table switching, data logging and NO2 control.

I'm in the process of purchasing the kits needed from DIYAutoTune to build one for my Ford 331ci Monster Miata. Right now I'm running a stock A9L which can not handle the extra 25 cubes. I see the process of building, installing and learning to tune the MS3 as an alternative to paying a shop to burn me a chip for the a9l. The total costs involved are not that far off from each other.

Check out DIYAutotune's site if you have not already. There's a lot of info there about the different systems.

Good luck,
-Jason

1994Miata with a Ford 5.0-331forged Scat/YYY/billet FW/CFII/Gt40heads/intake/e303-2/31.8lb injectors/MS2/T5/alum ds/7.5-3L27
More:http://www.cardomain.com/id/MRMPerformance
post #3 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Ms3 is overkill unless you are doing some crazy race engine.
Ms2 is more then enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
^^^this
for a pushrod windsor MS2 is more than enough. The serial cable is aweful tho.
MS3 allows you to control almost any engine with lots of extra options

12.7s motor, 11.7s spray, turbo 400/460. [email protected]
post #5 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 04:07 PM

how fast are guys going on ms2 and 3 now? I use pms cause I've used it for a long time and i love it but i'm interested in the ms stuff. fastest car i know of with pms is running
7.87 @ 172 and the car is still mass air.

I'm not a magazine racer, my car is actually fast.
I also have a Honda civic but, mine has a bigger, uglier driver.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 10:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
To be honest how fast someone goes on an ecu has no merit as to how "good" it is. From what I have seen it all depends on ur setup AND tune.

Realistically what do u need from an ecu...ign control, inj control, boost control, launch control and a screen shot of all the gauges right?

If u really wanna know what the differences why no go to their site? A little research goes a long way. I feel better if I read it from the source not someone else...reminds me of the telephone game.

Megasquirt Product Comparison

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats
post #7 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 PM

I wasn't questioning how "good" ms is i was asking for feedback which I haven't found enough of. I realize it's not apples to apples anyways what with pms being piggyback and ms being completely standalone. I have no bias either way man cause I have what I know how to use I was gonna see if ms would be an easy transition for me cause I would like to go distributorless, which pms cannot do.

I'm not a magazine racer, my car is actually fast.
I also have a Honda civic but, mine has a bigger, uglier driver.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 PM

You will see more and more of it in the years coming.
People tend to stick to their roots when it comes to tuning systems which is why the most popular are usually the ones that have been around the longest.

Since MS has been around.. it will only just get more and more popular once people realize its not as scary as they think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement