on3 waste gate - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
on3 waste gate

I am so confused to what spring that needs to be in the wastegate for around 10-12lbs(i understand some cars will see more than others). do i need to use the biggest red spring that comes with the kit for the least amount of boost or the small black spring that was in the wastegate for the least amount of boost. I have a manual boost controller on the car already. I have had the kit on the car since april and have yet to really drive the car to make any boost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91lxaod View Post
I am so confused to what spring that needs to be in the wastegate for around 10-12lbs(i understand some cars will see more than others). do i need to use the biggest red spring that comes with the kit for the least amount of boost or the small black spring that was in the wastegate for the least amount of boost. I have a manual boost controller on the car already. I have had the kit on the car since april and have yet to really drive the car to make any boost.
You can only go as low at the spring you have in there is rated for. So a 7psi spring will allow you to run 7psi BUT not any lower. With a boost controller most times you can double your spring rate. So you can then run 14psi with a bosot controller on a 7psi spring.

2001 Mustang GT - Turbo'd
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT01GT View Post
You can only go as low at the spring you have in there is rated for. So a 7psi spring will allow you to run 7psi BUT not any lower. With a boost controller most times you can double your spring rate. So you can then run 14psi with a bosot controller on a 7psi spring.
Thanks for the reply, i understand a tad bit more as far as boost controller and boost, but i would like to understand the springs. i dont understand the thickness of the spring compared to boost output. In simple explanation the taller and thicker the spring in most cases will warrant more or less boost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Thicker or stiffer spring = more boost. The strong spring holds the wastegate closed until enough pressure can overcome the spring.
If I recall there are three large springs and one small one. With the stiffest large spring I was at 9psi. I installed the smaller one inside that same spring and got 11psi.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoates View Post
Thicker or stiffer spring = more boost. The strong spring holds the wastegate closed until enough pressure can overcome the spring.
If I recall there are three large springs and one small one. With the stiffest large spring I was at 9psi. I installed the smaller one inside that same spring and got 11psi.
what springs are you using now and what motor 5liter or 4.6. I am wanting roughly the same amount of boost your running
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 AM

If your over boosting and can't keep boost down no matter what spring you do then your On3 wastegate is bad. Most of the On3 wastegates are junk

93 Teal Cobra- precision 67mm turbo
00 Formula
02 Z06 supercharged(sold)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91lxaod View Post
what springs are you using now and what motor 5liter or 4.6. I am wanting roughly the same amount of boost your running
I am 5.0l. I can't recall the color of the springs but the heaviest large spring and the small inner spring should get you around 11psi. Do a search because I am sure I seen some pics posted on here with them labeled.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 AM

The red spring that comes in the gate is for 9 ish psi the softer red is good for 6 and the stiffest blue is for
12-14.

But like I said u never know how those On3 gates are gonna work

93 Teal Cobra- precision 67mm turbo
00 Formula
02 Z06 supercharged(sold)
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 01:17 AM

https://forums.corral.net/forums/memb...rbo-build.html

Scroll down and you will see the springs labeled. Should be the heavy red one and the yellow one both to get you to 11psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement