So-Cal Tuners - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-04-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
So-Cal Tuners

For all of you driving turbo cars in So-Cal, who did you have tune your car and what was your experience? Just trying to figure out some options. Thanks a lot...

97 GT/03 Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I have my car tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics in Huntington Beach. He's been tuning my cars for 8 years now and has never done me wrong. He's very knowledgeable. You can see what my setup and power numbers are in my sig. For an appointment, you can e-mail him, [email protected]. Just make sure to put "Dyno Tune" in your subject line and tell him Juan sent you.

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
post #3 of 15 Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicFox View Post
I have my car tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics in Huntington Beach. He's been tuning my cars for 8 years now and has never done me wrong. He's very knowledgeable. You can see what my setup and power numbers are in my sig. For an appointment, you can e-mail him, [email protected]. Just make sure to put "Dyno Tune" in your subject line and tell him Juan sent you.
Thank you, what's his going rate? Does he have experience tuning modulars?

97 GT/03 Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
danny at swanson performance is the only place to go.

im not trying to start a fight but steve at power train is a joke! i took him my twin turbo 92 twice. couldnt tune it, i left with it not running. then i made the mistake of taking him my 2007 turbo f150. after 6 months of trying, it ran like crap and stalled everytime i went past 50% throttle.

took my truck to danny and without even putting my truck on the dyno, wrote me a tune and told me to street test it. wot, no ping, great power, idled like stock. then he put it on the dyno and fine tuned it. i was at his shop for a total of 3 hours and it was running perfect! going back to danny next week for a retune with more boost.

here is a video of the truck
sounds clean!! something steve could never do.

long story shorty, i would never ever ever trust steve to tune a lawn mower let alone a car. i dont personally know a single person who has gotten a good tune from steve

i paid $175 for a tune and $150 an hour for dyno time with danny. the retune he said would just be the hourly rate since he is just modding the tune i already have

for the record, danny also tuned my mustang when it had heads, intake and stock cam and blower and made 403rwhp. very reliable and was my daily driver back then. never had an issue with his tune.

TWIN TURBO!! Because bottles are for babies and superchargers blow
megasquirt, 331, twin 66s, ported 205cc head, efi spyder intake, 160# injectors, e85

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 08-06-2011 at 11:52 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingus View Post
Thank you, what's his going rate? Does he have experience tuning modulars?
I believe it's $150 for a reflash and $125/hr for dyno time. Yes, he has tons of experience with modulars. My old car was an '03 Cobra. Steve gave me a nice safe tune with 475/460 to the wheels on the first-gen Apten/Steig port. I beat the crap out of the car on that tune and never had an issue.

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
post #6 of 15 Old 08-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I know Steve has tuned a whole lot of 5.0s with every possible combo out there. I can also guarantee you that Steve has been in the business longer and has experience with a wider variety of vehicles than almost any other active tuner in So Cal, including Danny. Danny has never tuned one of my vehicles, but I have had a few friends get tunes from him. One of my friends is very happy with the tune he got on his '03 Cobra 7-8 years ago. The other friends I have that were tuned by him did not keep his tunes in their cars because they weren't 100% satisfied with retunes they got after new mods.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Steve. I'll ask him about your vehicles the next time I'm in his shop. It might help me understand what went wrong. For my money, Steve would have to be out of the business for me to take any car I own to another tuner. My TT project has given me many headaches and Steve has had solutions for all of them.

To Chingus, good luck on the choice you make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckythirteen13 View Post
danny at swanson performance is the only place to go.

im not trying to start a fight but steve at power train is a joke! i took him my twin turbo 92 twice. couldnt tune it, i left with it not running. then i made the mistake of taking him my 2007 turbo f150. after 6 months of trying, it ran like crap and stalled everytime i went past 50% throttle.

took my truck to danny and without even putting my truck on the dyno, wrote me a tune and told me to street test it. wot, no ping, great power, idled like stock. then he put it on the dyno and fine tuned it. i was at his shop for a total of 3 hours and it was running perfect! going back to danny next week for a retune with more boost.

here is a video of the truck ‪2007 turbo F150, 5psi‬‏ - YouTube sounds clean!! something steve could never do.

long story shorty, i would never ever ever trust steve to tune a lawn mower let alone a car. i dont personally know a single person who has gotten a good tune from steve

i paid $175 for a tune and $150 an hour for dyno time with danny. the retune he said would just be the hourly rate since he is just modding the tune i already have

for the record, danny also tuned my mustang when it had heads, intake and stock cam and blower and made 403rwhp. very reliable and was my daily driver back then. never had an issue with his tune.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I have had my car tuned by both danny at swansons and steve at powertrain, they both know how to tune very good.

Reason I picked steve over danny is he is closer to my shop and listings to my requests (danny does to) I just click better with steve.

If you take your car to steve tell him sergio with the turbo mach one sent you.

I made 734rwhp with a bone stock on3 turbo kit t70 turbo on a 4.6 mod motor, over at powertrain.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Pro racer package and do it yourself.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (66)
FYI -

Bob Kurgan, hands down THE best EFI Ford tuner, is flying from Georgia to So Cal this Saturday to tune at GTR in Rancho Cucamonga. I personally will not let anyone else touch my car.

I personally arranged this first-ever dyno day with Kurgan in California. This won't happen again for who knows how long. We had the max number of 6 supercharged and turbo mustangs already committed. However, we may have one or two openings as a couple guys can't get their combos done in time to make it.

Let me know if you're Interested.

90' LX, Dart 347/YSi 843 rwhp
Now with a 9.5:1 Coyote Aluminator and t56 Magnum looking for a little boost....

13' Race Red Boss 302 #609, AMR wheels/ Eibach springs, Airaid CF CAI, Accufab TB, Flowmaster Super10's
post #10 of 15 Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Do it Chris!

I am

post #11 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (14)
try Greg over at RET.. I have yet to hear anyone complain about Greg.. I'm from the boat to have someone near you tune, that way you build a relation and easy to ask questions get other things done...
post #12 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvo View Post
try Greg over at RET.. I have yet to hear anyone complain about Greg.. I'm from the boat to have someone near you tune, that way you build a relation and easy to ask questions get other things done...
If Steve ever gets out of the business, Greg would be my new tuner. There are a few solid options in So Cal. I agree with what slosvo says about having someone local you can go back to if needed.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Another vote for Danny. He's been tuning my junk over 10yrs now.

Street tune here.....

SWANSON PERFOMANCE/KUSTOM WELDFAB/QMP Racing
post #14 of 15 Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 AM

Superior Automotive Engineering - Dyno Tuning Los Angeles - High Performance Automotive Services Shawn tuner really good tuner....... use Diablo chip...

mustang 331 stroker! Edelbroke performers heads f cam holley system max intake 70mm accufab throttle ! ON3 KIT ON PROCESS !! 70MM MASTER POWER .....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
Swanson tuned my car back in 99'-00'

Good to see he is still around!

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement