HP Performance - RUN AND HIDE! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (30)
HP Performance - RUN AND HIDE!

Since its finally over, I'll share my story. I have a 94 Cobra that already had an HP kit on it for the 302. The quality was nice and it made a lot of power. I wanted to put a 351 in the car, so I figured I would call them up and buy the hot side for a 351. That way it would bolt right up to the cold side I already had. So the day before Christmas, I call them up and place my order - headers, crossover, and downpipe. He says 1-2 weeks - no problem. About 2 weeks later, I get a call asking if the engine was already in the car because they were "trying out a new fabricator" and wanted to see if it would fit. Right there I start to get scared. I didn't have the engine in the car yet, but he said someone else ordered the same parts, so he was shipping it out to them for a test fit. I expected this to add some time to the wait, but how long could it really take? Another week - two? I called several times to find the status of my kit. The secretary was always nice, but no one was ever around that could talk to me. They could never find my paperwork. After about 3 months I tried to cancel the order. She told me I couldn't because it already shipped out. A couple weeks later I call because I never received it and guess what, they haven't made it yet! WTF! It will be ready next week. Another month goes by and nothing. I call again. Same thing - can't find my order, blah blah blah. I say just cancel it and give me my money back, then magically it is already made and at the coaters so I can't cancel.

Every day I pull into my driveway hoping to see a box. After FOUR and a HALF months, it finally showed up! I was so excited that I ripped it all open out in the driveway. It all looked nice and I was finally ready to go, right? Nope! I never even got to see if it would fit in the car... it didn't fit on the engine sitting on a stand! The passenger side header doesn't fit with the alternator bracket on. The crossover pipe is 2 pieces and they dont fit together. The crossover from the passenger side, if its clamped on, goes right through the balancer. Even using tiny head 5/16" bolts, there is one bolt hole that the primary is too close to get a bolt in it, let alone a wrench to tighten it. Apparently your not supposed to use spark plugs either as one of the primaries is so close to (and directly over) the plug that you couldn't get a wire on it and if you could, you would have to remove the header to change the plugs! The drivers side header was decent except it was directly on top of the sway bar. If you didn't mind losing the sway bar it would have been ok.

How could it possibly be that far off just on a stand you might ask? During one phone conversation, it was let out that even though they advertised the kit for sale, they had never made one before. During another conversation, it was let out that they don't even have a 351 in the shop! A turbo kit has to be pretty precise so that everything fits together. How the hell do you build a kit for a motor that you don't have. Apparently they just took some measurements and went with it.

On top of all of that, I found mig wire in a few places INSIDE the header. Like when the gap is too big and the wire feeds through the hole an inch or so before it strikes an arc. Yup, that would have been lovely going through the turbo! The whole thing was just PISS POOR!

Once again, I call them up and tell them whats going on. I try to get my money back again and I'm told they'll make it right and to give them another week. Like a dumbass, I say ok. He wanted me to send him some pictures of the issues and he would correct them. I got busy at work, so about 6 weeks go by. I call them up AGAIN and ask where they are. They didn't start the new set of headers yet and they never even looked at the pics I sent them (below). I'm fed up and again ask for a refund. They have to call me back. No call so a couple days later they say the same thing, they'll call me back. This went on for about 2 weeks. Anyone that was authorized to give a refund couldn't answer the phone and would call me tomorrow. Finally I told the lady don't bother passing on the message. I already left 15 of them that were never returned, I don't expect this one to be either! It finally got to the point where I told her if I don't get a call back tomorrow, the next call would be from my lawyer. I have a friend that is a lawyer and they suggested one final call to see if that threat worked before we go further. The next day I call and get "I was just looking for your number".

SIX+ months later, I finally got my refund! I will never do business with them again! Like I said, the 302 kit I had was great, but their customer service was beyond terrible! I called up Brian from BG CUSTOM TURBO, told him my situation, and he said no problem! He gave me a realistic time frame for when I would actually get my kit and even though I was rather jaded from the past 6 months, he put me at ease that I might actually be getting a kit that fits! I'm really looking forward to seeing this car run. The headers are basically the only parts I'm waiting on to get there!

1993 Black Lightning #2103
1995 White Lightning #585
1995 Black Lightning #184 Black hole where all my money goes!
1995 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
There have been quite a few HP horror stories. Seems that if you try to get anything that is not standard, they have trouble meeting the timelines. In your case they both missed the timeline and they sent you something that did not work. Sucks for sure. Your pictures are not showing for me but it may be the fancy system we have here...
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #3 of 29 Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (14)
wow.. I thought HP was one of "the good guys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvo View Post
Yeah, if all you read is magazines lol.
post #5 of 29 Old 07-13-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I'll re-host the pics on my own server. Ive never had a problem other than on here. Sorry.

1995 Mustang GT
post #6 of 29 Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madramper View Post
I'll re-host the pics on my own server. Ive never had a problem other than on here. Sorry.
i see the pics fine??
post #7 of 29 Old 07-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
It really sucks to see someone spend their hard earned money on something they believe will be a quality part then get it and its total junk, jerk them around for half a year to get a refund back and on top of it all they hide in the bushes for weeks before you even receive the parts. I hope every one interested in a hp performance kit reads this and all the other crap about them and goes elsewhere.

93 LX Vert
91 LX Coupe
79 Turbo Coupe
81 Fairmont
post #8 of 29 Old 07-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
wow...that is not even remotely close. I am sorry to hear that. That is some ####ty ####. Thats about all I can say.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvo View Post
Yep, BUY AMERICAN! ON3 SUCKS! DONT BUY ON3! GIVE YOUR MONEYS TO MURIKAAA TURBO PLACES!

Oh wait, what?

Truth is, HP has been shafting people for years. My buddy's 03 Cobra had a $7000 HP twin kit that made the car smoke like a train on decel, and cruise. The main complaint with HP has always been trying to even GET YOUR ITEMS from them. I dont know how they are still in business, there was an article years ago about them receiving a city bailout of sorts.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have always had a low opinion of HP and used to get ganged up on for expressing them.

Sent from my iPad Nano

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 PM

I think their talking about HP performance not ON3.......By the way how in the hell can you blame a turbo making your car smoke on decel?? Unless it was crap turbo's with shi#$y seals. Sorry to hear about your dealing with HP.. Yeah that pipe looks alittle off..Jeeze waaay off...

95gt Dart block 363, TEA 205 Heads. 78MM Turdblower Custom cam, All fab work done by me....Moates tuned by me, AODE done up, yep I got overdrive. Drag radials, 327 rear. Next setup to come over winter...lol
post #12 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I had ready a few bad reviews on them before my purchase, but all that I had read was the 1-2 weeks actually meant 1-2 months. That I was prepared for.

1995 Mustang GT
post #13 of 29 Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Turbo Wizard

HP on some of their kits sold them with "hybrid" turbos that they had done for their kits. So that is one way why to blame something. Another is crummy oil return design like on their twin mod kits.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 AM

Copy and paste this ish on BBB. I hate scum bags. Who owns this place? People need to stand by their word. They didn't even have a 351? WTF were they thinking!!!! Seriously some RAtarded ass people out there. This is why I'm always dead scared to buy parts for my car.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
Unreal...I'm not sure why turbo companies have such problems.

They all start strong and crash and burn.

If I had any fabrication skills I would go start a turbo company.....for now I will come back to reality and be happy B&G still exists for those of us that can't weld and need real customer service.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #16 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
HP performance is about the only company I've had good luck with..

2002 2V TF heads Custom Edelbrock NA SVT Cams
Twin 6466 TH400 Dominator EFI TH400 UCC
post #17 of 29 Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02 View Post
HP performance is about the only company I've had good luck with..
almost seems you got lucky
post #18 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
Glad you finally got your refund man!

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
post #19 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Good god.....

94 GT Vert - R347 - B&G w/PT76GTS - T56M - AEM w/LS2 Coils - 575/601tq @ 10Psi
post #20 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (80)
I will say this. You story is 100% on for how HP Performance does business. Back about 4 years ago when they were popular, my buddy up the road ordered his kit for his foxbody. It took him just about 5 months to get it. They always had excuses on the phone, and it was a joke. They took so long that he actually traded the kit to me when it did arrive.

Another friend of mine had an HP kit and the header ended up cracking, so he sent it in for them to repair it, I can't remember how long went by, but when he finally got it back, they never even fixed the crack and just sent it back out to JETHOT to get recoated. He had to send it back again!

Now onto my personal experience. I've owned 3 HP kits, 2 stage 1's, and a stage 3. Design wise, it's IMO the best designed kit out there for a fox. The quality of the kits I had were great. My only complaint would be that a little more precision could go into the welding of the headers because the bolts are tough to tighten up due to lack of room around the tubes on the passenger side. I've ran my setup for 4 years now without issue so far. I have bought all my kits second hand, and wouldn't order a hose clamp from those shysters directly. Your customer service is the heart of your business, some of you bum ass companies out there need to act like it. I think everyone could take some notes from Summit Racing.

----------Dart 363 Turbo 93 Cobra #3193----------
--------------Magnum T56--------------
post #21 of 29 Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 AM

I was too dumb to try and get a refund after I wasted $2,500 on HP's garbage, I ended up having to cut, grind, and re-weld the entire kit, so basically all that was left was a ####ty jet hot coating that was damaged in the areas re-fabricated.

Get this my kit was the standard kit for a 302 that they supposably have been making from when they started their buisness. Didnt ship me out my IC, then it came 3 months later, didnt ship me couplings and clamps, then after i called they shipped the wrong sizes that were useless. I ended spending hundreds at race part solutions dot com to get all the little things.

they basically set my build back many months, thankfully i started in the winter, and am just now ready to get a tune, I will be updating my horror story on every mustang forum after i get some street time on their stuff.

there were so many issues with that kit i cant list them here, it actually caused me to get into a depression to where i didnt want the car anymore, I felt financially raped, i went through alot of feelings of anger, depresion, regret and even guilt, thinking to myself its my fault for ordering from them and its my fault this stuff doesnt work because I must have to be doing something wrong.

In the end I really really hope they get what they deserve, keep on making garbage and they will im sure of it...

it makes me happy to hear someone got their money back!

Xbox 360- SprocketX2 COD All Day!
post #22 of 29 Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (80)
and you know it's sad because It's a good design.. it's just poor management

----------Dart 363 Turbo 93 Cobra #3193----------
--------------Magnum T56--------------
post #23 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM

Garage
Hp turbo systems

Been there. Done that. Just wrapping mine up. Not happy at all. Had to cut half my front inner bumper out to make it work. Everything hits everything. To sum it up. This kit sucks. Would get into all the details but I'm exhausted over this whole thing.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Now sure if anyone else has seen my post about doing a install in a SN, but Ive been having a really tough time too, one of my techs got through to Zack at HP, they say they are going to replace the drivers side header, etc. will let you know how it goes.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwrath View Post
Now sure if anyone else has seen my post about doing a install in a SN, but Ive been having a really tough time too, one of my techs got through to Zack at HP, they say they are going to replace the drivers side header, etc. will let you know how it goes.
I wish you the best of luck man! I hope your experience turns out better than mine!

1995 Mustang GT
post #26 of 29 Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 AM

wow crazy stuff. I remember a few years back mmff or 50 sf did a build up on a 200,000 stock motor and it made crazy good power. then i saw the price tag and was like hellion it is. found on3 stuff looked good and was like what the hell, best 1500 i've ever spent on a mod. sorry about your bad luck man i really hate people like that.

I'm not a magazine racer, my car is actually fast.
I also have a Honda civic but, mine has a bigger, uglier driver.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM

If its ok to vent: still havent gotten a call back or anything but im a centrifugal guy all the way (who dominated the last NMRA and NMCA shoot out? it was Vortech). And the thing is: lets say that the Turbo's put out way more power, etc. How the hell does that count when the cars has been down for months and there is no end in sight? When my other Centrifugal set-ups has no problems and been running all this time!! You all would slap me in the face to know what I had to do at this point, all the custom fabrication for relocating things, etc. The bending, cutting and compromising of safety and integrity of the vehicle to get the Turbo to fit?!?! Im not even going into drivabilty concerns, how can you back pedal and get the instantaneous power response with a Turbo? The Turbo's are awesome when you can just floor it and go for the ride, but when you need to back pedal to let the tires to regain traction and get back on, then you gotta do the whole waiting game for the boost to get back into the sweet spot again. Anyway's, im going to stop since I can go all night long and dont want people hating on me (especially Corral) and I definitely dont want to know how dumb and wrong iam, since I already know that by doing this Turbo install. Doing this actually has made me to start hating working on cars period!
post #28 of 29 Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Is it really bad for mig wire to go through the turbine wheel? I know my cross over has a couple spots where theres no way to get it out.

That sucks about your issues.

2003 v6 Turbo 4.3 stroker
6.67 @ 106mph, still tuning...
Displacement is no replacement for boost
post #29 of 29 Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM

yup, it would totally ruin your day when it does (not if) it come off and flies into your turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement