On3 Performance Turbo Kit Install - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 177 Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
On3 Performance Turbo Kit Install

Well, after being a die hard N/A kinda guy all these years, I have decided to take a step into the turbocharged world.

My current car is a 1998 Cobra, with a 2003 Mach 1 Longblock. I put 96-98 Cobra Intake cams in it, and with bolt-ons it was making 346rwhp, and good enough for 11.6'[email protected] on Drag Radials with a 1.6 sixty foot.

This car is basically a full bolt-on car, with some suspension and the other "goodies" that push it more towards the "drag car" type.

I will try and keep this thread updated as much as possible with pictures, my opinion on the kit, dyno results, track results....etc. My goal is basically to run 8 PSI, run 10's with ease, and not destroy the T45 I am currently running.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Changes:
  • On3 Performance 4V Forward Facing Turbo Kit
  • ModularSpeed ported intake removed,stock intake installed
  • 30# Injectors Removed, 55# Injectors Installed
  • 90mm LMAF Removed, VMP HPX MAF Installed
  • Stock Thermostat/Housing Removed, Modified Cooling System Installed
  • 4.56 Gears Removed, 3.73 Gears Installed
  • 15x3.5 Billet Specialties/Skinnies Removed, 17" of the same wheel Installed

Initial Impressions

I got the kit a few days after ordering, and everything was there except a few fittings for the turbo/oil lines....and a fitting for the oil filter relocation. I was told that I would have them in a few days after I received the other parts....and that I did. I was contacted to ensure I received them as well.

I have had a few questions here and there about some stuff....and Chad and Mike have been very helpful along the way. They also gave me some recommendations on the install, which I appreciate very much.

Customer service up to this point, A+

The kit......... This kit, when in your hand is very nice looking. I am a VERY picky person, as the On3 gang can probably agree.... There are a few small things I see with this kit, which I feel I could probably upgrade, or "touch" up....but I don't really want to. I want to put the kit on, as it comes....and see what type of gains I get both on the dyno, the track...and the street.

I will be honest, I was very impressed initially.....by the quality of the components....but I know "time will tell" the truth. I am pretty confident I will not have any negative issues with this kit. I did NOT buy this kit to daily drive, nor to put 20,000+ miles on. I bought this kit to put on a car that sees 2,000 miles every 2 years, and stays in my garage 365 nights of the year.

If this kit performs to my expectations, I will be very pleased. And do not think for ONE MINUTE, that is there are small issues/hang ups along the way that I will complain.....as I realize I saved thousands by going this route. If I need to make a cut here, a weld there....or even re-do all the connections....I honestly do not care.

The kit came just about exactly as pictured:

Some Hardware

Gettin her ready

Tearin her apart

I was very impatient, installed these in a few hours after the kit arrived....so soon that I forgot to take pictures....my bad

Instructions tell me not to install headers before oil filter relocation....BLAH!

I did not use the hardware that came witht he kit for the header bolts....I used "Stage 8" Bolts as I have always had great luck with them.

I ALSO (which I may regret) decided to use the header gaskets that came with this kit....they are the cheapo type....but I want to use the kit as it is. Anyone including myself can make a kit work, or "better" than it comes....but I have a feeling that this stock motor wont last too long....so I will coat everything and use better stuff the next go around.

Here is the "GT" lower radiator hose I decided to use. I chose to get rid of the 4V style system, to create some additional clearance for the piping in that area. I am installing a Meziere Billet T-Stat housing, along with a Meziere 180deg T-Stat

VMP HPX Maf, VMP MAF Flange, VMP Harness to adapt the 05+ slot style MAF

Meziere Billet T-Sta housing, and T-Stat. AWESOME PART

I will have more as I go!

2015 S550 GT - 2.3 TVS Powered on 17" Radials
Stock Trans / Stock Converter / 1.28 Sixties
[email protected] Boost --- ([email protected] Boost/Spray)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 177 Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM

cant wait to see how it does. are you using the On3 turbo, WG, and BOV?
I should have everything this week to start my diy build. Thought I could build it cheaper than On3 but I havent saved much.

12.7s motor, 11.7s spray, turbo 400/460. [email protected]
post #3 of 177 Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I am using the 70mm On3 Turbo, .68 AR.

I am also using the On3 BOV, Gate.

I wanted to buy THE On3 kit....if I am not happy there are always upgrades for those components.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 177 Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularSpeed View Post
I am using the 70mm On3 Turbo, .68 AR.

I am also using the On3 BOV, Gate.

I wanted to buy THE On3 kit....if I am not happy there are always upgrades for those components.
Yep, I actually sourced an older style 4v kit recently and am trying to find a 61 or 67mm to throw on it. Need to get with on3 and see if they can get me an intercooler and piping from TB to intercooler first.

Ill keep my eyes on your build! Good luck man.
post #5 of 177 Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM

ive seen enough to know "how picky" you are with your car. lol. but im sure you will get the most out of the kit
had to go check to see if you had an "easy street" build on N2S yet. haha

post #6 of 177 Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Going to need to lower the gear some more.
post #7 of 177 Old 07-13-2011, 02:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Looking good, keep pic coming !

Voodoo racing innovation built 4v , powerglide, borg warner s475 at 29psi, custome turbo kit , pro efi ecu, Aeromotive fuel pump, aeromotive fuel rails, id 1000 injectors, e85. Best to date 1.36 60'
Best pass to date 8.92 at 156mph. Best 1/8 mile 5.6at 127 mph.
post #8 of 177 Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

We'll see.

I think the 3.73 will work well.

post #9 of 177 Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (19)
What is your brake setup (hydraulically speaking)? That looks like a manual rack and the master cylinder doesn't look OEM, I see no hydroboost lines up there. Did you go manual brakes as well?

Also, the lack of air conditioning. What else is done to this car that makes it different than a near-stock Cobra? These deletes should give you a lot more space for the pipes that come off the headers to the turbo (up-pipes) as you will have a lot more room in the bottom front areas near the timing cover. I doubt you still have the A/C or P/S pump to quickly mock up but I'm sure you generally know what they look like/about how big they are and could comment as to whether or not you believe the pipes would clear if they were still there.

98 Cobra - the same junk everyone else and their mother have
post #10 of 177 Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx View Post
ive seen enough to know "how picky" you are with your car. lol. but im sure you will get the most out of the kit
had to go check to see if you had an "easy street" build on N2S yet. haha
Well, you are pretty accurate. I am very picky, and I usually get the most out of my combos. What's your name on N2S? Same?

I don't like making threads on the local forums for a few different reasons...lol

post #11 of 177 Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
What is your brake setup (hydraulically speaking)? That looks like a manual rack and the master cylinder doesn't look OEM, I see no hydroboost lines up there. Did you go manual brakes as well?

Also, the lack of air conditioning. What else is done to this car that makes it different than a near-stock Cobra? These deletes should give you a lot more space for the pipes that come off the headers to the turbo (up-pipes) as you will have a lot more room in the bottom front areas near the timing cover. I doubt you still have the A/C or P/S pump to quickly mock up but I'm sure you generally know what they look like/about how big they are and could comment as to whether or not you believe the pipes would clear if they were still there.
Strange MC, and a Flaming River Manual Rack. Manual everything on the brake/steering side of things. Also deleted ABS unit.

The clearance on the PAss side (AC) is no issue.....there is a TON of clearance in that area. Clearance on the driver side, (PS) I am not quite sure of with a pump there. I am just about 100% positive that there would be no issues. It looks to be designed around those components pretty well IMO.

post #12 of 177 Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
so i see you received all of your oil fittings?

-92GT 3.55s, cut springs,MT drag radial, stock h/c/i airbox [email protected] on a 75 dry shot
347 bare block collecting dust, On3 install in progress
post #13 of 177 Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 PM

yeah same name over there

post #14 of 177 Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 AM

Nice work so far!! Keen to see how it turns out!
post #15 of 177 Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Didn't get a lot done last night. Goal was to solder on the MAF, finish up the Oil Filter Relocation, Gap/Install Plugs, and tap/install the oil drain fitting to oil pan. I started working at 10:00....and discovered my solder is missing, and my punch/tap necessary for the oil drain are missing..... I moved recently, and believe those are at my other house...

I was able to install the new NGK TR6 plugs. They were pretty much "pre-gapped" at where I wanted them, but I regapped them anyways....

I also went ahead and cleaned the area where I will be installing the fitting for the oil drain. The hole needs to be 5/8" down from the top of the oil pan....and 1-7/8" to the right of the center of the second oil pan bolt (from left to right)

post #16 of 177 Old 07-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Car looks good Kelly, question on that t-stat housing. Normally they have 3 ports dont they stock or am I going crazy here? How will that work?
post #17 of 177 Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by On 3 Performance View Post
Car looks good Kelly, question on that t-stat housing. Normally they have 3 ports dont they stock or am I going crazy here? How will that work?
Thanks!

You are correct. Stock stat has an "in", "out" and another "in" coming from the coolant crossover.

That additional "in" is a bypass.... As the coolant comes from the engine, it goes into the coolant crossover. When the stat is closed....the hose that goes from the crossover to the lower hose/stat is flowing coolant back through the engine on the other side of the stat (non radiator side) This prevents pressure build up, as well as recirculates warm coolant to reach operating temp quicker.

When deleting that hose going down to the stat/lower hose....you are getting rid of a "bypass"...therefore the pressure will build up is the stat is not open... The "fix" for that, is to drill holes in the stat, which I will be doing. So basically, if you delete the bypass/crossover to lower hose....you compensate by drilling holes in the stat.

I will have more pictures when it is finished. Alot of people seem confused. But it is cheap, easy and makes more much more room by deleting that long j-hose.

post #18 of 177 Old 07-17-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

5/8" down from the top of the pan, 1-7/8" to the right of the middle of the second oil pan bolt (looking from the front towards rear of car)

Grease, 3/8" NPT Tap, Punches, Gasket Maker, and the fitting for the pan:

9/16" Hole Punched

Grease Applied to Tap:

Grease doing its job, lots of metal shavings:

Fitting installed with lots of gasket maker:

Before I button this up, I will be putting the hose ont he fitting, and putting about half a quart of oil through it, to wash away the shaving to the bottom of pan....so when I drain the oil, hopefully any shavings that were missed get drained.

post #19 of 177 Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Had some "low Gloss" paint laying around, looks better.

post #20 of 177 Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Can't wait to see how this comes out and your numbers. I think your impression will decide whether I buy one or not. I can't find anybody else who has installed one of these kits
post #21 of 177 Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 PM

Looking good. I'm on N2S as well. I'm sure you won't have any issues with this kit. Went on my fox easier than I thought it was going to.
post #22 of 177 Old 07-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Garage
How bad was it putting that oil relocate plate on after you got your manifold on? I'm waiting for a piece that they didn't put in my kit so I want to keep moving and get my manifold on.
post #23 of 177 Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 PM

Did you have to drop the K-member in order to get the manifolds on?
post #24 of 177 Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 AM

Garage
I left my k-member off when I installed mine found it to be a heck of a lot easier by far.
post #25 of 177 Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM

I made the headers so they come in and out with the kmember in the car. No reason to drop it, might have a little more room to work but it would really be unnecessary for the most part and just take more time
post #26 of 177 Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Just have to loosen motor mount and remove oil dipstick to install driver side headers, no need to take out k-member.

Voodoo racing innovation built 4v , powerglide, borg warner s475 at 29psi, custome turbo kit , pro efi ecu, Aeromotive fuel pump, aeromotive fuel rails, id 1000 injectors, e85. Best to date 1.36 60'
Best pass to date 8.92 at 156mph. Best 1/8 mile 5.6at 127 mph.
post #27 of 177 Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay everyone. I was out of town working.

I will have more updates soon, with a lot of pics.

post #28 of 177 Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

And yes, the headers went on silky smooth..... Loosen motor mounts, and remove oil dipstick and you are golden.

As far as the fitting for the oil relocation.....you can put that adapter on with the driver side header on....but be sure you do not have the barb fittings in it until after you get it installed, as it wont rotate with those fittings in.

post #29 of 177 Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I just got my new 4v kit on and it made 540rwhp and 520 torque on 12 1/2 pounds
post #30 of 177 Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

For those of you interested in doing the same with your coolant system, here is the plug I got from Advanced Auto Parts.

It is a Dorman, 02600.

And here it is installed into the tube. I will make it look better with a rubber cap later on.

This weekend I hope to have everything just about done, with some good photos to share. Thanks for the patience!

post #31 of 177 Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Up to this point, I am simply amazed at the quality, and ease of install on this kit. I have yet to look at the instructions once during the install, and don't think I will to b honest. Everything seems great, and I am highly excited pressing forward. My wife actually mounted my merge pipe, so I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.

I still have a bit to go, but remember.....I have already pretty much mocked the entire kit.....so even though the pics below aren't much more further, I already know how it will fit. This kit is far exceeding my expectations, that is 100% truth.

Copper RTV, just to be on the safe side.

In/from my past experiences, you can never have too much of this stuff. It says its good to like 600-700 degrees....but it works on hotside turbo piping. lol

Is this piping not just gorgeous? It is nice and thick, and also pretty heavy. NOT like other Ebay type kits I have dealt with in the past, for sure.

Very nice merge pipe. Notice the RTV....lol

post #32 of 177 Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 PM

I like these builds where people take the time to put it together well. AWESOME job so far man! I have the fox kit on my car and i can assure you after you get that thing tuned you will do 2 things 1st, you will burn through a tank of fuel in what seems like ten minutes, (i actually picked up 4-5 mpg on the highway no bs keeping my foot out of it) and 2nd your jaw is gonna hurt really bad for two or three days from the smile on your face! You'll understand soon enough.

I'm not a magazine racer, my car is actually fast.
I also have a Honda civic but, mine has a bigger, uglier driver.
post #33 of 177 Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

post #34 of 177 Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 AM

I cant wait to see this thing done and running! i love builds like yours,very informative with lots of pics!

It seems like these days when you hear about a product, you only hear the negatives "this sux blahh blahh" or "this company blows cause im incompetent", i really hope that turbo works, and you can prove to people they arent all that bad. It looks like a really nice kit for the price.

Laser Red 1994 GT
GT40P, E303, Performer
Bolt-ons Galore
Run hard, Put away wet!
post #35 of 177 Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chern_889 View Post
I cant wait to see this thing done and running! i love builds like yours,very informative with lots of pics!

It seems like these days when you hear about a product, you only hear the negatives "this sux blahh blahh" or "this company blows cause im incompetent", i really hope that turbo works, and you can prove to people they arent all that bad. It looks like a really nice kit for the price.
Yuo are not the only one, I can't wait either!

That being said, I have said...and believe....that most peoples issues with kits like these, are primarily encountered due to impatience...rushing....and shortcutting.

I am doing everything in my power to ensure this kit works well. My goal is to start it up, and have no leaks. If I have a leak, I am hoping it is AFTER the exhaust side of the turbo, and I can simply adjust the exhaust piping.

I am in a rush mentally, but physically....I am taking my time trying to do everything right. I generally have very good luck on any of the builds, or installs I do....because I do not rush them.

If I do have a lot of issues....well, I will fix them. But I am hoping for everything to be perfect. Like most do I assume. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement