Question for the daily driven - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-03-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Question for the daily driven

I'm thinking about switching from my s-trim to a turbo. I've had other turbo vehicles but they were factory turbo cars so everything was put together well.

Are you constantly hunting down exhaust leaks?

My s-trim is rock solid reliable, driven everyday, not having to tighten this, replace that... it's pretty nice but nothing compares to a turbo, plus a turbo is a lot easier on the stock block.

Anyone have any rock solid exhaust leak free systems that are daily driven?

90' GT - H/C/I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 02:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
If u got ur car exhaust leak free then u can do it on any car. Most seem to have leaks because of the tune or the quality of the products they are using. Reliability has alot of variables, but the leading causes of failures are quality and tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats

Last edited by goatnipples2002; 07-04-2011 at 02:27 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
Keep the blower!

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
With a milder setup the exhaust leaks aren't as bad. High hp setups with higher back pressure have to be closer to "perfect" to seal up.

It took me a couple of months to get everything right but mine stays without leaking. Don't expect it to be like the s-trim.

After heat cycling a number of times the hotside is going to need to be tightened and possibly even resealed. Some parts may need to be surfaced to get them perfectly flat. My turbo flange from Precision was not true and was causing leaking.

Fasteners also matter. Chasing the threads in the heads for the header bolts and using ARP lube on the bolts let's you get more clamping force. I had ARP send me small headed 12 point bolts and nuts for the turbo so it is easier to get them tight.

Patience and a close attention to detail will get you to the right place.

Now, the 56 leaking v-band and tiger patch threads are quality problems...that is a different issue from the reality of normal turbo hotsides.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
It can be done, but I for one plan to keep my truck in good condition! The blower is far easier, but as you said it's < turbo.

Turbocharged 87 GT T Top
XBL Tag: Mikemachine812
post #6 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
The biggest problem people get into on turbo kits is buying cheat/ bargain parts. Buy good SS. v-band kits (plan on paying 45-60 each )1/2 header flanges, top quality SS headers and hot piping with good v-bands and alittle copper RTV and leaks are a thing of the past. Spend your money wisely and dont cut corners.This will help you out and insure that you have a turbo car that will have little to no issues

NEVER give up, NEVER back down, NEVER lose faith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement