need help asap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 07-02-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
need help asap

just finished my on 3 install and got her satrted. engine stumbles and lopes hard and refuses to stay running. while on the gas she smokes as well then dies.
during the turbo install i also deleted the a/c and smog pump. also upgraded the pump, injectors, and maf to 42#, and gapped the plugs acording to the instructions.

Really need some help, this car needs to be running by the end of the weekend so we can take her to the dyno.

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 07-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Almost sounds like the intercooler or any of the pipes might be leaking...

Travis

86XR7 in pieces. V8 turbo swap in process. 88TC stock daily driver...28mpg
post #3 of 65 Old 07-02-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

looks like everything is good and tight, also checked vac lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

does anyone else think it could be a timing issue?
post #5 of 65 Old 07-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Try holding the gas pedal to the floor while you start it,that's what I had to do to mine.also check TPS voltage and IAC. Might have to do the base idle reset. I would set timing to 10* and see see if it stays running,then get it up to the dyno.
post #6 of 65 Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
Check your plug wires and injector harness on the right injectors.

If you didn't mess with the timing it shouldn't be a problem. Same with iac and tps, if you didn't touch it it should be ok.

Focus on what you changed.

Minor leaks won't cause complete non operation.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #7 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

ok, tps voltage ok, didnt mess w/ the iac. seems like its choking out from being too rich? got a backfire sometimes. my pump is on a switch and when it starts to die i can toggle on/off and it will recover. im not thinking its a vac leak anymore though. to get it to even start i have to floor it, then rap on it abit to keep it running along with the pump switch.
post #8 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
  1. Did you verify that injector harness plugs are all on the right injectors?
  2. Did you verify the plug wires are on properly?
  3. Verify that the mass air meter is in fact correctly matched to the 42 lb injectors (there seems to be a bunch of mass air meter problems lately)
  4. Did you do anything to the fuel pressure regulator? Depending on how big a fuel pump change you made this could require adjustment, but shouldn't necessarily cause the car not to run..
  5. Fuel filter? Any change there? They can actually go in backwards and they don't flow right that way.
If you didn't change the timing it shouldn't be that. The existance of a turbo doesn't require different timing to start, it just requires less timing under boost. It will run with the timing too high, will likely just hurt the motor.

02 sensors? Are they plugged in?

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #9 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Are you configured as a draw through or blow through? Check the placement of the MAF and make sure it's not on backwards and in the proper place for the blow through set up ( after the intercooler and on the straight piece of tubing ). If your running draw through ( MAF before the turbo; don't because it's not the best config. for this set up )

also check the connection of the maf and make sure you the wire going into the plug are correct

anybody else????

KMS West member, SoCal Chapter
Tuned by Bob Kurgan April 20,2012 at GTR

410w, AFR 225's, solid roller, 91mm, Bigstuff3, 120's, E85, TeamZ...
post #10 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

the injectors seem to be plugged in right, the wires are so short it only fits one way. no change with the fuel filter, went from stock pump to 255lph. o2's were plugged in then i also tried it with them unplugged. i ended up deciding to work backwards from the turbo, found 2 vbands that looked suspect, flanges not exaclty lined up. upon further inspection found that the front plug wire on the passanger sige was loose along with the plug.

in short i will be totally working backwards and going through it all once again. silly little things that componded and could have been prevented.

Just to be safe though i do want to check the mas air meter, how could i outside of the writing on it? hopefully these little things solve my issues. i will let ya know the outcome, thanks for your help

post #11 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

its a blow through, on correctly.
post #12 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj50 View Post
Check your plug wires and injector harness on the right injectors.

If you didn't mess with the timing it shouldn't be a problem. Same with iac and tps, if you didn't touch it it should be ok.

Focus on what you changed.

Minor leaks won't cause complete non operation.

How was the car running before the install? Your car needs to be mechanically sound before the tune, because tuning doesn't fix those issues.

Did you do any kind of wire harness change? ( This happened to me going from 4 cylinder to 8 )

focus on what you changed X2

post #13 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Car was solid as as a rock. Very reliable jump in and strive where ever.
post #14 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 PM

I'm gonna guess here, but I think changing to the larger injectors without changing that in the tune is going to make it run the way you described. Your pulse width, etc, is all wrong until you get it tuned for them. I am assuming you are EFI .

93 Mustang GT - 530 RWHP
07 F250 parts chaser, tow rig.
post #15 of 65 Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03hd View Post
I'm gonna guess here, but I think changing to the larger injectors without changing that in the tune is going to make it run the way you described. Your pulse width, etc, is all wrong until you get it tuned for them. I am assuming you are EFI .
Exactly. My car did the same exact thing until I got it tuned.
post #16 of 65 Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 AM

I got it........What kind of MAF are you using ( If your running a C&L make sure you have the green indicator/marker inside)! IF not a C&L make sure your MAF is cal for your injectors.

Did you check the little wire inside the MAF tube?

Lastly if you have a spare ECU swap it out and see if that the problem. I also had a bad ECU that gave me similar problems.

Even without a tune you should be able to drive it around a little

post #17 of 65 Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

ok heres an update. fixxed the small problems i noted earlier in the post, seems to be alot better. going to set timing to 10* and take her to the dyno. thanks everyone for the help! will be posting the numbers from the dyno as soon as i get them in. thanks again all
post #18 of 65 Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

so now i have oil from the exhaust side of the turbo, got with on3 and they thought it was drain line. redone it three times and no change. whats going on here im getting ready to pull my hair out
post #19 of 65 Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM

You might just be ready to go!!
If everything is installed correctly all your ready for is the tune. Not all cars respond to major mods the same. Some will start right up and Can be driven, others can't and need a tune asap.

Good luck

post #20 of 65 Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghoward74 View Post
You might just be ready to go!!
If everything is installed correctly all your ready for is the tune. Not all cars respond to major mods the same. Some will start right up and Can be driven, others can't and need a tune asap.

Good luck
i have oil coming from exhaust side of turbo. after that gets fixxed id say id be ready but im at a loss right now and really need some help
post #21 of 65 Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90foxsleepr View Post
i have oil coming from exhaust side of turbo. after that gets fixxed id say id be ready but im at a loss right now and really need some help
what turbo?? the cheaper ones are known to blow oil seals and leak oil into the downpipe.

My old turbonetics turbo came with a restriction/filter fitting on the turbo to reduce oil pressure as to not blow the oil seals.

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #22 of 65 Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

its the "house turbo" that on3 offers. some say i need a restrictor, its never even seen boost yet, everything was primed properly as well. sending some more pics to on3 tonight, theyre wanting to see the hotside. might go on and try a .065 plate anyways. hope the seals arent bad but mighty afraid it is
post #23 of 65 Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 PM

Garage
ROFL sorry... I know it's not funny.... Hopefully they warranty it... Mike told me "We will take care of it this time" and I got a call the day they got it. He said I would have to buy a new one for $299. I told them to just send it back. I run Turbonetics with a $1500 pipe kit now Oh yeah check your wastegate for leaks too. Tossed mine.

Forged 383CI - Turbonetics 78mm 3.5" DP - Stage III TFS - E-303 1.7RR - T56 - Mcleod RST Twin
post #24 of 65 Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointeightnate View Post
ROFL sorry... I know it's not funny.... Hopefully they warranty it... Mike told me "We will take care of it this time" and I got a call the day they got it. He said I would have to buy a new one for $299. I told them to just send it back. I run Turbonetics with a $1500 pipe kit now Oh yeah check your wastegate for leaks too. Tossed mine.
well the warranty isnt happening, thinking now all the pics were used to find excuses of something i did wrong. i dont even think imma waiste the money on a restrictor cause im almost certain its the seals. looks like im in ur boat w/ a 1500 dollar pipe kit. just thinks its bs.
post #25 of 65 Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Imagine that.

What was the reason?

89 coupe- some parts

best time-11.67
best mph-120.57
best 60 ft-1.63
post #26 of 65 Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

because of some thread tape i had to put on the brass fittings. thing is turbo done it before the tape, i thought it was spraying out under a load because of all the damn smoke! its whatever though. evidently its some quality control issues in the factory. hope it gets worked out before problems occure with jeggs
post #27 of 65 Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90foxsleepr View Post
evidently its some quality control issues in the factory. hope it gets worked out before problems occure with jeggs
The factory is in china, dont think they really care about it !!

post #28 of 65 Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 PM

So they came to the conclusion that it was the thread tape, but they don't have to the turbo there, disassembled to actually verify ?

post #29 of 65 Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 PM

This is not surprising.
post #30 of 65 Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Chad is a complete Douchebag and the main reason he was booted from the TurboForums was because he was a lying ####stick that wouldn't show a warranty on anything ..
Your ####ed .. take your lickin and get over it.
If you had researched at all you would have known that once the money was handed over you were on your own.
post #31 of 65 Old 08-05-2011, 02:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (43)
They also said the same about making sure the drain was correct and that we should not have used thread tape on my buddies on3 turbo setup. It was leaking out both the hot and cold sides and after sending it in, they sent us a new one. When he used the thread tape as the reason, I asked him where in the directions it stated not to use it. If it is that critical, it should be in big, bold letters where the directions say to put the feed flange together. Not the greatest experience, but got taken care of in the end. I hope they work it out for you. With all the problems out of their products lately, Jegs won't back them long. Once the complaints stockpile, they will probably drop them. Overall, we have had the same problems as everyone else, but they helped us out within a reasonable amount of time. Not the best service, but not the worst either. Good luck with it.
post #32 of 65 Old 08-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
mine leaked through the downpipe too. Put the restrictor on, and all better. Seals dont blow that easy.

90GT, 306, Trick flow high ports, Intercooled B&G turbo kit. Going auto
post #33 of 65 Old 08-05-2011, 02:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9389coupe View Post
They also said the same about making sure the drain was correct and that we should not have used thread tape on my buddies on3 turbo setup. It was leaking out both the hot and cold sides and after sending it in, they sent us a new one. When he used the thread tape as the reason, I asked him where in the directions it stated not to use it. If it is that critical, it should be in big, bold letters where the directions say to put the feed flange together. Not the greatest experience, but got taken care of in the end. I hope they work it out for you. With all the problems out of their products lately, Jegs won't back them long. Once the complaints stockpile, they will probably drop them. Overall, we have had the same problems as everyone else, but they helped us out within a reasonable amount of time. Not the best service, but not the worst either. Good luck with it.

NPT fittings require tape or pipe dope. Flared do not need tape. the flare provides the seal.

90GT, 306, Trick flow high ports, Intercooled B&G turbo kit. Going auto
post #34 of 65 Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony m View Post
NPT fittings require tape or pipe dope. Flared do not need tape. the flare provides the seal.
bing bing bing .. winner winner !!!

I had Teflon tape on my Turbonetics for 3 years with NO issues..

post #35 of 65 Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
The saga continues....

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement