help me choose a turbo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
Question help me choose a turbo

HEY ALL, Newbee to turbos. Just paid for and waiting for new 427 shortblock from fordstrokers. Having comp.ratio set @9.5:1. I have afr 205 heads, don't remember what spring preasure,not original springs.tfs box r intake w/ wilson90mm. tb, 60lb injectors.
I want to turbo it this winter but have no clue as to who makes a good quality unit and who to stay away from, what size, I am prety sure I will have to have another cam as the current one is a nitrous cam.
please help educate me so I can make the right choice
thanks; John

94 cobra, 393, afr 205s. boxr intake. (SOLD)
New 427 turbo build in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
How fast and what kind of power are you after?
Street car?

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
post #3 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
ive been looking at comp billet turbos lately. they have a wide selection of sizes and most have a race ported cover with a 5.5" compressor inlet. Their 88mm has a 6" inlet. People have been trying them out alot on the supra forums

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
That is a big cube motor with a significant amount of compression. I think you are at least in 88mm territory, maybe something like a gt5588. A twin turbo kit could work also with ~62's or so.

Be careful not to put too small a turbo, it doesn't end well.

What year car is it going into?

I would be interested to see if twin turbos are worse then a single for underhood temps.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #5 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jenna View Post
How fast and what kind of power are you after?
Street car?
would like it to go 10.0s w/ minimal boost at first due to roll cage restrictions. Hopingto get it to skinny kid next year for the rest of the cage(currently a 6pt). But in the end I would like to make 1100- 1200 at the crank and pull a low 9.

Last edited by Blk.Snake; 06-13-2011 at 11:09 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj50 View Post
That is a big cube motor with a significant amount of compression. I think you are at least in 88mm territory, maybe something like a gt5588. A twin turbo kit could work also with ~62's or so.

Be careful not to put too small a turbo, it doesn't end well.

What year car is it going into?

I would be interested to see if twin turbos are worse then a single for underhood temps.
It is going into a 94 cobra that is currently 3105lbs. w/ me in it.
Twins are one of my thoughts also, Would i be correct in assuming that two smaller turbos would spool up a little faster? Under hood temp. was one of my concerns. I still want to be able to drive the car localy within a 25mi radious without worrying about temp.

Last edited by Blk.Snake; 06-13-2011 at 11:13 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I should also mention that I use big stuff 3 so I do have the meens to control the boost already.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Give Reed a call. This guy knows his stuff and he can help you pick something out. He can put you together exactly what you need for slightly more than something off the shelf and you know it'll work. Contact WORK Turbochargers
post #9 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk.Snake View Post
It is going into a 94 cobra that is currently 3105lbs. w/ me in it.
Twins are one of my thoughts also, Would i be correct in assuming that two smaller turbos would spool up a little faster? Under hood temp. was one of my concerns. I still want to be able to drive the car localy within a 25mi radious without worrying about temp.
In theory, they really shouldn't. You are still producing the same volume of exhaust and trying to make the turbos move the same amount of air. Spool time is really based on properly sized turbos on your motor.

You are putting together a monster, in my opinion you really don't want super fast spool time if you drive on the street. My experience on my car is that it is easier to drive on the street with a larger turbo and slightly slower spool. With a smaller turbo it just incinerated the tires. At the track, you will build boost with a transbrake and you can work through a moderate level of street driving lag.

Regarding the temp, make sure you plan out your cooling system carefully. I would suggest remote mounted trans cooler with a fan to keep it from blocking the radiator. Use the biggest electric fan you can find and a good radiator. I also run the mezier street electric pump with idler to allow cooling the motor down after stopping. It is always on KOER, then there is an override switch for when the key is off.

The more planning you do the better....too many of us have changed too many things trying to figure these things out

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #10 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj50 View Post
In theory, they really shouldn't. You are still producing the same volume of exhaust and trying to make the turbos move the same amount of air. Spool time is really based on properly sized turbos on your motor.

You are putting together a monster, in my opinion you really don't want super fast spool time if you drive on the street. My experience on my car is that it is easier to drive on the street with a larger turbo and slightly slower spool. With a smaller turbo it just incinerated the tires. At the track, you will build boost with a transbrake and you can work through a moderate level of street driving lag.

Regarding the temp, make sure you plan out your cooling system carefully. I would suggest remote mounted trans cooler with a fan to keep it from blocking the radiator. Use the biggest electric fan you can find and a good radiator. I also run the mezier street electric pump with idler to allow cooling the motor down after stopping. It is always on KOER, then there is an override switch for when the key is off.

The more planning you do the better....too many of us have changed too many things trying to figure these things out
I could tell some stories about that but let's just say I understand and do not plan to start to make the transition to turbo untill I am compleatly satisfied that this is the right way to go and that I have the right package togeather.
As I think about this I May need to change converters also.I have a good rad. and trans. cooler I can add a fan to.
so w/ that in mind I would need to get;88mm turbo w/ what size intercooler? also I have no clue as to what brand or who makes a system to fit a 94, or a reputible dealer.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
T6 88mm might be too small. You need it to be bigger because of your cubes. Your injectors won't cut it at 60lbs and your horsepower goals. Your trans probably won't survive too long with that much power. At last, you will need to change your rearend gears. Like MCJ50 said, you are going to instantly fry the tires with the 88mm. You are probably better off dropping the car off and have a custom turbo kit made to your car. Forget about 9's, you will be in the 8's easy with that cube and turbo. You will need a chute on top of your cage.

Dart 347, High Ports, FAST XFI, TH400, Precision 78GTS,E85, 836hp 714tq.

Last edited by pennex1; 06-14-2011 at 09:32 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennex1 View Post
T6 88mm might be too small. You need it to be bigger because of your cubes. Your injectors won't cut it at 60lbs and your horsepower goals. Your trans probably won't survive too long with that much power. At last, you will need to change your rearend gears. Like MCJ50 said, you are going to instantly fry the tires with the 88mm. You are probably better off dropping the car off and have a custom turbo kit made to your car. Forget about 9's, you will be in the 8's easy with that cube and turbo. You will need a chute on top of your cage.
I was thinking 3:55s for the rear. am looking into a lentec trans. wasen'sure about injectors,And had not even thought about the shute.
I just got off the phone w/reed @ works. He said I could make it w/ a smaller turbo but would be a little smoother on the street street.
as far as a custom kit,If it comes to that I will probably check w/ donny walsh as i am aquainted w/ him and currently does my tunning anyways.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (29)
Is the block stock or aftermarket. If it were my I would put a 91mm on there and adjust boost as nessary for type of block. This turbo will still spool on the street and make crazy power if needed.

1993 notch 302 and c4
quicktime turbo system
9.986 @ 136.84
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"393 stroker and pt88 inthe works"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesna150 View Post
Is the block stock or aftermarket. If it were my I would put a 91mm on there and adjust boost as nessary for type of block. This turbo will still spool on the street and make crazy power if needed.
This is a dart shp block w/ scat 4340 crank and h-beam rods' diamond 36cc dish pistons.really only need it to run low 9s. I truly think that at that it will be all that I care to saddle up.HMMMMM seems like dejavu. just want to put it to that anyone who knows the car would chuckle at the question, IS IT FAST? I don,t intend to compeat at the track on a regular bassis but maybee once a month. I am one of those guys that want way to much power than needed for the street. I have been told It has something to do w/ little guy syndrome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement