Hotside heat wrap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (27)
Hotside heat wrap

Has anyone had any luck running turbo wrap in their car that actually gets driven (7 days a week rain shine etc etc) without it destroying the headers? Id like the headers wrapped and the dp, would be nice to keep temps down and maybe not destroy spark plug wires every day.

Side note if anyone has a pdf or something of on3 install guide and emails me it I will love you long time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue93hatch View Post
Has anyone had any luck running turbo wrap in their car that actually gets driven (7 days a week rain shine etc etc) without it destroying the headers? Id like the headers wrapped and the dp, would be nice to keep temps down and maybe not destroy spark plug wires every day.

Side note if anyone has a pdf or something of on3 install guide and emails me it I will love you long time
I wouldn't worry so much about wrapping the manifolds. Get 100ft of wrap, wrap the downpipe and crossover pipe, and then get a turbo blanket. AutoZone or Advance sells sleeved wrap that comes in a 12ft roll, I just cut them about 6" each and slid them over my plug wires. A lot cheaper than buying wire sleeves and works just as good.
I have the on3 install on my pc at home. I can also take pics of the sleeves I made

post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
You do not want to use cheap heat shield on plug wires. Anything that is shiny or metallic can cause arc'ing.

Race Part Solutions sells the ones I have on my car, which I think may have been made by Taylor:

Thermo Tec Products, Plug Wire Insulators | RacePartSolutions.com

I use them on my car and they have worked well. The other option you have is to run the 3 and 4 cylinders under the header. I made custom MSD wires with 90 boots and it tucks them close to the engine block.

1 & 2 are the difficult ones. The #2 wire is a the toughest, I doubled up the boots I reference above to get some more length and it works.

I have a B&G kit but the routing of the pipes is similar.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Just worried since I read horror stories of the wrap holding moisture and rusting everything,true? And id buy a set of 8 boots if I could find one
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
You can by two sets of 4 to get to the 8, I think that is why they come in those increments.

Yes, generally it is not advised to wrap headers, and I think if you have everything setup right you shouldn't have to. Most vendors won't warranty headers that have been wrapped.

Protect your wires, and keep everything away from the hotside and you should be ok.

I have my downpipe carefully wrapped because it comes in very close proximity to the firewall and transfered quite a bit of heat before I did it. I wrapped it all the way to the muffler, which in my case is a bullet that ends at the cross member.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (29)
I run all my wires under the header. Works out real nice and keeps everything from melting. I've never run wrap or sleeves on anything, ive seen a couple of sets of headers collapse because of the heat retained on the turbo side.

1993 notch 302 and c4
quicktime turbo system
9.986 @ 136.84
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"393 stroker and pt88 inthe works"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
i have a b&g kit that i sent out to get ceramic coated(the whole hotside ,Dp and crossover) in NJ. i also wrapped the down pipe and crossover pipe but left the headers alone since the whole kit is ceramic coated. and i have the race part solutions shown above for my wires and it works great no problems

NY
92 Red Notch 5spd w/ B&G Kit Powered by MS2 V3 running Extra Code-----SOLD!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

summit sells a set of 8 for 48 bucks or so so im gona try them, what do you mean run your wires under the headers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement