break up - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
break up

I have a brand new on3 turbo with the 70mm turbo. I have a msd btm with 3924 plugs gapped to 32. I am using the stock springs in both the wastegate and bov. I have yet to try and hammer on the car since I have not been able to get the car to go beyond 2500 while driving. I have driven the car a total of one block and everytime the cars rpm reaches 2500 the car will cut out as if it is going to die then idle just fine. I have a abaco 85 mass air programmed to my 42's and a intank 255 fuel pump. The car recently had a novi 1000 with the same exact ignition upgrades and never had a issue with the car pulling past 2500. Any ideas what could be the problem I am thinking it may have something to do with the wastegate and bov or maybe the vacum routing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91lxaod View Post
I have a brand new on3 turbo with the 70mm turbo. I have a msd btm with 3924 plugs gapped to 32. I am using the stock springs in both the wastegate and bov. I have yet to try and hammer on the car since I have not been able to get the car to go beyond 2500 while driving. I have driven the car a total of one block and everytime the cars rpm reaches 2500 the car will cut out as if it is going to die then idle just fine. I have a abaco 85 mass air programmed to my 42's and a intank 255 fuel pump. The car recently had a novi 1000 with the same exact ignition upgrades and never had a issue with the car pulling past 2500. Any ideas what could be the problem I am thinking it may have something to do with the wastegate and bov or maybe the vacum routing.
The wastegate get vacuum from the side port and bov from the top. I have my bov tied into the vacuum tie on my fire wall and my wastegate to my manifold.

post #3 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
The wastegate get vacuum from the side port and bov from the top. I have my bov tied into the vacuum tee on my fire wall and my wastegate to my manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dart306 View Post
The wastegate get vacuum from the side port and bov from the top. I have my bov tied into the vacuum tee on my fire wall and my wastegate to my manifold.
i know one of the them has 2 ports and one has 1 port. im sorry i dont know which one i am very new to turbos. i have a manual boost controller that i have not installed yet also.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
i know one of the them has 2 ports and one has 1 port. im sorry i dont know which one i am very new to turbos. i have a manual boost controller that i have not installed yet also.
Sorry about the double post, the wastegate has 2 ports and the bov has one. Is your car tuned for the turbo or do you still have the blower tune?
post #6 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

i have the same tune as far as the meter is concerned. I was told that abaco meter will change from draw thru to blow thru.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
This could be a number of issues. Tell us some more information. Whats the spark, what kind of fuel, what psi are you at, what AFR?

The plugs should be 3923's which are two steps colder than N/A and gapped at 28 for starters.

1990 Coupe, 302/AOD, stock cam/short block, AFR 165's, 3.55's. Working on a N/A stroker build.

Last edited by firemanwill28; 04-11-2011 at 12:12 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

I can't tell the Pei since right at 2500 or so the car just bucks as if I am letting off of the gas.I have both autolite 3923's and 3924'so recently removed a supercharger and the plugs worked great. I am thinking that the issue can be mass air or Nov or wastegate. The only changes made to the car is the Turbo install. I have helped tun
e a T trim 342 to 600+ hp with the same plugs
post #9 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
How are you adjusting your timing curve? Is the mass air the only form of tuning you got going? I assume you didn't use a FMU with the Novi 1000 if you had 42lbs inj. before.

The Novi being belt driven was rpm based on its boost. So you could have adjusted timing based on rpms. The turbo being load based on the car needs the timing adjusted based on the rate of boost coming into the car, that being either boost retard or chip.

What are you using for a rev limiter?

When I first finished up my install. I had a similar problem with bucking. AFR read lean but was really so rich it was giving a false lean and foaling the plug terribly causing the bucking in the higher rpms.

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
try locking the timing timing spout out and not using the btw lock it safe around 16 to 18 and see if that helps plus what is your fuel psi set at and are you using pump gas or e85 start at 40psi vac line off should at least get u over 2500 to tune if u dont have another problem like the mass air not liking being blown threw

post #11 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swing View Post
How are you adjusting your timing curve? Is the mass air the only form of tuning you got going? I assume you didn't use a FMU with the Novi 1000 if you had 42lbs inj. before.

The Novi being belt driven was rpm based on its boost. So you could have adjusted timing based on rpms. The turbo being load based on the car needs the timing adjusted based on the rate of boost coming into the car, that being either boost retard or chip.

What are you using for a rev limiter?

When I first finished up my install. I had a similar problem with bucking. AFR read lean but was really so rich it was giving a false lean and foaling the plug terribly causing the bucking in the higher rpms.
I have a msd chip in my btm set at 6000, but the car has not even been rev'ed to 3000 once the car gets to 2500 or so it breaks up as if i completely lift off the throttle. I am not trying to take the car out and see what it will do with the turbo compared to the blower that was once so reliable. I am really trying to learn what could cause this problem and what needs to be done to fix it. I will hook a wideband to the car later today to get a initial a/f reading at idle. I have my base fuel pressure set at 38 now as i did with my novi. I changed from a 3923 plug back to a 3924 with thoughts of spark blow out because of the colder plug but same issue.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
how are you tuning the car?
just with timing and plugs?

12.7s motor, 11.7s spray, turbo 400/460. [email protected]
post #13 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Wideband,plugs,fuel and timing I have not tried to really drive the car just stalling it in my driveway. I'm puzzled what do you guys rhinkvabout my btm setting do you think I should set it to zero until I hook up my wideband to get a a/f reading
post #14 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Too much timing, not enough fuel, and not enough information. Fix all of these and you'll be happy. It's a must to log timing, fuel, and such while tuning a new turbo. Be careful or you'll be putting a new engine together.

1990 Coupe, 302/AOD, stock cam/short block, AFR 165's, 3.55's. Working on a N/A stroker build.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
you need a chip or custom tune. base timing is not a tune
i would suggest not driving it until you get the wideband hooked up.
Do you have a boost gauge?

12.7s motor, 11.7s spray, turbo 400/460. [email protected]
post #16 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx View Post
you need a chip or custom tune. base timing is not a tune
i would suggest not driving it until you get the wideband hooked up.
Do you have a boost gauge?
I have no plans on driving the car or even trying to make boost I am concerned with the bucking(which is what everyone is trying to help me with). I dont understand what could cause this issue, fuel, timing, bad bov and wastegate, plugs or just the vacum lines being routed wrong. I think I need to start with the routing of the vacum lines can someone give me a rundown to how they are supposed to be. Second what springs does everyone have in their wastegate and bov from on3. I think those two answers might be able to get me to a point were I can actualy try and tune the car or have the car tuned. I am going to hook the car to my wideband tomorrow and play with it some to try and figure it out. Thanks everyone for yall's patients and knowledge.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

just a quick update. I have not touched the car and before that found out the dbx meter took a vacation and is bad. I sent the meter back to Anderson and they also checked the meter and with the great customer service they provide sent me another meter and should be here this week. I tried my brothers dbx meter to find the problem before shipping it to Anderson, all I can say is the car is going to be a lot faster than my novi 1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement