Cobra Twin Turbo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Garage
Cobra Twin Turbo

I'm currently building an 02 Cobra engine to put in my 96 mustang i want to put twin turbo's on it But i dont know what size or flange type to run...also the A/R ratio This engine will be relatively stock some mild port work good intake and if there is anyway i can make it happen some mild cams...i dont want it to spool so fast it blows the tires out but dont want to lag below 4,000 either.....basically i want the best of both worlds street driveability and extreme power on demand....Any Helpful info will be appreciated !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I noticed you mention that you had an 02 Cobra engine. Actually there were no Cobra's built in 2002 for the US market. There were about 100 similar cars built and shipped to Australia.

As for the turbo setup a larger numerically AR will help build boost a little later than the same turbo with a smaller AR. A twin turbo setup has the potential to make HP in the 1K+ range. I believe Hellion makes a decent twin kit with 60 trim turbo's that should get you some block splitting numbers.

If your doing a street build a properly selected single setup should get you some impressive numbers and most likely everything you'll need for the street.
Just a thought...............
RSH

1999 Cobra Hellion/ Turbonetics- 507/519
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
I noticed you mention that you had an 02 Cobra engine. Actually there were no Cobra's built in 2002 for the US market. There were about 100 similar cars built and shipped to Australia.

As for the turbo setup a larger numerically AR will help build boost a little later than the same turbo with a smaller AR. A twin turbo setup has the potential to make HP in the 1K+ range. I believe Hellion makes a decent twin kit with 60 trim turbo's that should get you some block splitting numbers.

If your doing a street build a properly selected single setup should get you some impressive numbers and most likely everything you'll need for the street.
Just a thought...............
RSH
Thanks for the info...didnt know there were no 02 Cobra's.....i was going by the date on the block...i just read an article on the SVT Cobra's that said that 01 came with a weaker windsor aluminum block although some 01's had the teksid either factory or as a replacement since mine has a 2002 date stamped in it it was probly a replacement engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Actually I'm pretty sure they stopped the teksid blocks in mid 99, if your block is an 02 casting then it's the windsor block. That's not a big deal thought if your going street, you can easily make 700hp on that block and be ok, teksid is by far a better block but the newer aluminum block is still not that bad.

As far as a/r .68 should be okay for what you want it for with a t3 flange for twins. I run a single 76mm on my new setup with a .96 a/r and I've seen many cars make 700+ with no problem, to be honest with you 500 hp single turbo cars are plenty fun on the street.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Twins will be a waste on a stock bottom end
post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo4six™ View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure they stopped the teksid blocks in mid 99, if your block is an 02 casting then it's the windsor block. That's not a big deal thought if your going street, you can easily make 700hp on that block and be ok, teksid is by far a better block but the newer aluminum block is still not that bad.

As far as a/r .68 should be okay for what you want it for with a t3 flange for twins. I run a single 76mm on my new setup with a .96 a/r and I've seen many cars make 700+ with no problem, to be honest with you 500 hp single turbo cars are plenty fun on the street.
Yes it's a Teksid block...that was the first thing i checked to make sure before using it
post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secgoal View Post
Twins will be a waste on a stock bottom end
What kind of work would you recommend be done on the bottom end?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Al View Post
What kind of work would you recommend be done on the bottom end?
Steel Cobra crank H beam rods and forged pistons are good for 1,000 HP...but when some people hear "TWINS " they automatically think 1,500 to 2,500 HP...i dont know why...i am shooting for 600 @ 8lbs twin 50mm's should do that , if not i wont cry. I would rather do it my way and get 500 hp than to have to do it someone elses and get 700....its not like anyone around here can do anything with 500 anyways...LMAO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement