Cobra Twin Turbo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Tn.
Posts: 147
Garage
Cobra Twin Turbo

I'm currently building an 02 Cobra engine to put in my 96 mustang i want to put twin turbo's on it But i dont know what size or flange type to run...also the A/R ratio This engine will be relatively stock some mild port work good intake and if there is anyway i can make it happen some mild cams...i dont want it to spool so fast it blows the tires out but dont want to lag below 4,000 either.....basically i want the best of both worlds street driveability and extreme power on demand....Any Helpful info will be appreciated !

Frosty_289 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered User
 
rscotth's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (13)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Palm Coast, Florida USA
Posts: 200
I noticed you mention that you had an 02 Cobra engine. Actually there were no Cobra's built in 2002 for the US market. There were about 100 similar cars built and shipped to Australia.

As for the turbo setup a larger numerically AR will help build boost a little later than the same turbo with a smaller AR. A twin turbo setup has the potential to make HP in the 1K+ range. I believe Hellion makes a decent twin kit with 60 trim turbo's that should get you some block splitting numbers.

If your doing a street build a properly selected single setup should get you some impressive numbers and most likely everything you'll need for the street.
Just a thought...............
RSH


1999 Cobra Hellion/ Turbonetics- 507/519
rscotth is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Tn.
Posts: 147
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
I noticed you mention that you had an 02 Cobra engine. Actually there were no Cobra's built in 2002 for the US market. There were about 100 similar cars built and shipped to Australia.

As for the turbo setup a larger numerically AR will help build boost a little later than the same turbo with a smaller AR. A twin turbo setup has the potential to make HP in the 1K+ range. I believe Hellion makes a decent twin kit with 60 trim turbo's that should get you some block splitting numbers.

If your doing a street build a properly selected single setup should get you some impressive numbers and most likely everything you'll need for the street.
Just a thought...............
RSH
Thanks for the info...didnt know there were no 02 Cobra's.....i was going by the date on the block...i just read an article on the SVT Cobra's that said that 01 came with a weaker windsor aluminum block although some 01's had the teksid either factory or as a replacement since mine has a 2002 date stamped in it it was probly a replacement engine.
Frosty_289 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (13)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South burbs, Chicago.
Posts: 189
Actually I'm pretty sure they stopped the teksid blocks in mid 99, if your block is an 02 casting then it's the windsor block. That's not a big deal thought if your going street, you can easily make 700hp on that block and be ok, teksid is by far a better block but the newer aluminum block is still not that bad.

As far as a/r .68 should be okay for what you want it for with a t3 flange for twins. I run a single 76mm on my new setup with a .96 a/r and I've seen many cars make 700+ with no problem, to be honest with you 500 hp single turbo cars are plenty fun on the street.
Slo4six™ is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,006
Twins will be a waste on a stock bottom end
10secgoal is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Tn.
Posts: 147
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo4six™ View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure they stopped the teksid blocks in mid 99, if your block is an 02 casting then it's the windsor block. That's not a big deal thought if your going street, you can easily make 700hp on that block and be ok, teksid is by far a better block but the newer aluminum block is still not that bad.

As far as a/r .68 should be okay for what you want it for with a t3 flange for twins. I run a single 76mm on my new setup with a .96 a/r and I've seen many cars make 700+ with no problem, to be honest with you 500 hp single turbo cars are plenty fun on the street.
Yes it's a Teksid block...that was the first thing i checked to make sure before using it
Frosty_289 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Registered User
 
Nitrous Al's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secgoal View Post
Twins will be a waste on a stock bottom end
What kind of work would you recommend be done on the bottom end?
Nitrous Al is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Tn.
Posts: 147
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Al View Post
What kind of work would you recommend be done on the bottom end?
Steel Cobra crank H beam rods and forged pistons are good for 1,000 HP...but when some people hear "TWINS " they automatically think 1,500 to 2,500 HP...i dont know why...i am shooting for 600 @ 8lbs twin 50mm's should do that , if not i wont cry. I would rather do it my way and get 500 hp than to have to do it someone elses and get 700....its not like anyone around here can do anything with 500 anyways...LMAO
Frosty_289 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMR Forged Shortblock Specials, NOS, S/C or TURBO!! Mod Mustang Racing Modular Engine Parts 946 10-27-2015 05:17 PM
For Sale Lots of SN95 GT & Cobra Parts bmwm3 Modular Engine Parts 26 03-26-2012 04:03 PM
For Sale 2003 Twin Turbo Cobra, Fully Built, Show Car cobramac Mustangs For Sale/Wanted, 1999-2004 4 07-09-2011 06:47 PM
For Sale 03 twin turbo cobra larryb Mustangs For Sale/Wanted, 1999-2004 30 02-04-2011 12:54 AM
For Sale 9 Second Twin Turbo 93 Cobra Dark93 Mustangs For Sale/Wanted, 1987-1993 4 12-31-2010 11:04 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome