A few misc. turbo questions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
A few misc. turbo questions

Hey guys, been doing lots of reading and trying to learn, I have a few miscellaneous questions. Here's a quick rundown of my car:

Dart 347, 420rwhp NA, 11:1 CR (will be switching to E85 for boost), want a blowthrough since its carb'd. Right now I have this Holley HP150 fuel pump, -8AN feed line, deadheaded into a Holley regulator. Will I need to change pumps and regulator?

Also, I have a 2 1/2" Flowmaster catback right now, how badly will that hurt me if I keep it with a y-pipe setup? Ive read that chambered mufflers can rob ALOT of power?

One of the kits I'm looking at uses 1 5/8" primary headers, right now I have 1 3/4" longtubes. Will those 1 5/8" hurt me on the turbo setup?

When talking about turbo kit, what is the general thought on mixing and matching parts? What I mean is, I'm looking at the On3 kit but I would want a 3.5" downpipe which I'm told isnt an option on the 8.2" kits. Would I be able to buy a different brand and have it bolt up, or am I better having one fabbed up?

Lastly (for now), when discussing the difference between a wastegate and a blowoff valve, and what do they do, a wastegate will bypass the air that exceeds the boost level and a blowoff valve releases the pressurized air that is in the system after the throttle blades close?

Thanks for the help-Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAss88GT View Post
Hey guys, been doing lots of reading and trying to learn, I have a few miscellaneous questions. Here's a quick rundown of my car:

Dart 347, 420rwhp NA, 11:1 CR (will be switching to E85 for boost), want a blowthrough since its carb'd. Right now I have this Holley HP150 fuel pump, -8AN feed line, deadheaded into a Holley regulator. Will I need to change pumps and regulator?

Also, I have a 2 1/2" Flowmaster catback right now, how badly will that hurt me if I keep it with a y-pipe setup? Ive read that chambered mufflers can rob ALOT of power?

One of the kits I'm looking at uses 1 5/8" primary headers, right now I have 1 3/4" longtubes. Will those 1 5/8" hurt me on the turbo setup?

When talking about turbo kit, what is the general thought on mixing and matching parts? What I mean is, I'm looking at the On3 kit but I would want a 3.5" downpipe which I'm told isnt an option on the 8.2" kits. Would I be able to buy a different brand and have it bolt up, or am I better having one fabbed up?

Lastly (for now), when discussing the difference between a wastegate and a blowoff valve, and what do they do, a wastegate will bypass the air that exceeds the boost level and a blowoff valve releases the pressurized air that is in the system after the throttle blades close?

Thanks for the help-Dan
I would change to a boost referenced regulator with a return personally. I dont like deadheaded fuel pressure. Thats just me. Moving from the 1-3/4 long tubes to a 1-5/8 primary turbo header wont make a difference. The turbo will make up the power.. thats what its there for. To equalize the playing field.

You are correct with the BOV / WG question. If you go the junkyard route and get a turbo with a built in wastegate you dont have to get an external. My suggestion would (with a 347 turbo car myself ) would be a 76 mm Master power 1 trim turbo, 50mm bov and 44 mm wg.

Also the flowmaster cat back will hurt the car some. Can you just change mufflers to a straight through design if your dead set on tail pipes? I recommend a single 3 inch exhaust setup if your are going with a single turbo.

What block are you running now? If its stock, like me with a turbo....already at 420 hp, the block will be on borrowed time. Just keep the boost and rpm's low and you'll keep it alive for a while.

They say what goes up must come down but I ain't reached my cruising altitude.
Take a look at what I did but can you imagine what I'm about to do.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (45)
Compression is a little high. I would lower that

R302-All forged 331 stroker Afr 205`s 9.2-1 comp
Cartech Twinturbo dominator kit 66mm`s
903rwhp @ 24lbs ran out of injector so stay tuned
for higher numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I would like to run E85 and an intercooler to help offset the high compression, plus maybe open up the chambers on the heads and go to a little thicker head gasket, I dont want to swap pistons if I dont have to because of machining and rebalance.

Bradley, I have a Dart block, Moldex billet crank and Carrillo rods, I'm not concerned with borrowed time, lol.

What about that fuel pump?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (45)
Cheaper to do pistons now then rebuild a blown up motor
and take a chance ruining the heads and block.

R302-All forged 331 stroker Afr 205`s 9.2-1 comp
Cartech Twinturbo dominator kit 66mm`s
903rwhp @ 24lbs ran out of injector so stay tuned
for higher numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (88)
Dan as far as the fuel pump goes it will not be big enough, with E85 it will only support about 630 FWHP so maybe 530-550 at the tires, you will need one like this Pumps - ProStar 500
I have there biggest EFI pump on mine as I am going to run E85 this year as well. What are you doing for a carb?? You will also need a boost ref. FPR and also run a return line back to tank. What size turbo are you thinking about?? I have a B&G set up on my car now. Let me know if you want to talk more about this over the phone.

Don

2013 GT500 SGM \Black Stripe.
2003 Cobra Redfire
1986 GT 408W C4 T-Top Factory Paint
2013 Ram 2500
post #7 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Hey Mr. Trump , I think I am gonna look for the Magnafuel ProTuner 750 inline pump when I start collecting parts. I may end up calling Harold for some pipe work, we'll see what happens.

For carb I will either convert to blowthrough and tune it myself with the wideband or hook up with one of Brent Davis' Crutch carbs on TTF. Regulator I think will be the Aeromotive 132-02, seems to work well for most guys. I'm thinking about doing a single 76mm, right now I'm at 11:1 but I think I will be changing pistons/gasket thickness/chamber size to get down to 8.5-ish, I have a bulletproof shortblock and it's been babied for too long, lol.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAss88GT View Post
Hey Mr. Trump , I think I am gonna look for the Magnafuel ProTuner 750 inline pump when I start collecting parts. I may end up calling Harold for some pipe work, we'll see what happens.

For carb I will either convert to blowthrough and tune it myself with the wideband or hook up with one of Brent Davis' Crutch carbs on TTF. Regulator I think will be the Aeromotive 132-02, seems to work well for most guys. I'm thinking about doing a single 76mm, right now I'm at 11:1 but I think I will be changing pistons/gasket thickness/chamber size to get down to 8.5-ish, I have a bulletproof shortblock and it's been babied for too long, lol.
I have the pro tuner 750 monted in my fuel tank and its a great pump,I would suggest if your going to be more of a street car then all drag you really dont need to go so low on the compression with E85. Mine is about 9.3 and the extra comp help with spool a little , and the car will respond a little better off boost. However if you plan to run big boost (23-30psi)then go for the low comp.

2003 Cobra Redfire
2013 Ram 2500
post #9 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

It looks like I am going to be stuck with 93 octane gas, there are only 3 E85 pumps within a 20 mile radius up here.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
would it be out of the question to set it up to run E85 and just run it on pump gas until more E85 becomes available? I know a few guys that tune with FAST and they run either or. More and more stations around here are putting in E85

post #11 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackn2ocoupe View Post
would it be out of the question to set it up to run E85 and just run it on pump gas until more E85 becomes available? I know a few guys that tune with FAST and they run either or. More and more stations around here are putting in E85
He is runnig a carb , so its a bit harder to change over.

2003 Cobra Redfire
2013 Ram 2500
post #12 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
don't know much about it, thats why I asked. I'm just thinking get the larger pump and all that now, I would assume he is going to run a regulator anyways. Then when it comes time re jet the carb or get a bigger carb
post #13 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I would need to look at running 93 with the E85 metering blocks and just change jets and air bleeds. It would basically be retuning the carb to run the corn.

I've spoken to most of the gas station owners in town, there are no plans for any E85 pumps to be put in at this time.

I may run a 9.0-9.5 CR and keep the boost low, then turn up the wick on race gas at the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement