new to turbo'd cars. just looking for some general info and tips - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
new to turbo'd cars. just looking for some general info and tips

so i just picked up a 1995 turbocharged gt. not sure of the exact build but this is what i know is in the build...306. stock heads. cobra intake. e-cam. forged pistons. crane rr. 42lb motorsport injectors. new fuel lines and 255 pump. single turbo kit with turbonetics t60 hi/fi polished turbo, external wastegate, hks blow-off valve, 3" down pipe. 2.5 inch cold pipes, front mounted intercooler. i am waiting on a fluidyne aluminum rad and some summit dual fans to come in the mail. car runs hot with the stock radiator and fan. supposedly the tune was done byradical racing with diablo software. it has no cats but the exhaust smells like it might be running pretty rich. i think the gasket on the back of the turbine is leaking because the exhaust smells pretty strong in the engine bay. turbo is running at 8 psi.

so with all that said i wa sjust looking for some general tips and basic knowledge of what to look for with a turbocharged car. i've built some naturally aspirated foxes in the past so i have some mechanical abilities and knowledge. also supposedly this set-up dyno'd @ 420 rwhp. does that sound about right? car feels very strong...but i think i'm going to wind up getting it tuned. any recommendations of a tuner in the central jersey area?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
If it was indeed tuned by Radical Racing, I'd still with them. They are a awesome shop. I've known the guy's there for year's. Always helpful and do excellent work.

'88 LX -New mill coming soon.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

i'm gonna give them a call today. they are a little bit of a drive away from me though. you guys ever hear of outrageous? dwayne gutridge runs it....he is pretty close. i know he renamed it to big daddy or something like that. i've heard good things about him. is he any good? he's a lot closer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

gonna wind up going back to radical. talked to them and he remembered the car kinda and said he will look at it and retune it for a good price. befor ei go i just want to install the new cooling parts and find the damned exhaust leak.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
You mentioned it smells rich, does it have a wideband? A wideband to monitor AFR is a must when running a turbo; if you run lean under boost, things break.

1990 Coupe, 302/AOD, stock cam/short block, AFR 165's, 3.55's. Working on a N/A stroker build.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
Nice to see another local turbo car, you are right down the road.

Let me know if you figure out you leak situation...we are usually working in the garage one night a week 15 minutes from you.

Mike

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #7 of 8 Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice to see another local turbo car, you are right down the road.

Let me know if you figure out you leak situation...we are usually working in the garage one night a week 15 minutes from you.

Mike

hey mike....looks like you have a sick set-up there. nice to meet someone close with a turbo'd stang. i am going to be installing the rad and fan this weekend, so i'll be looking to see if i can pinpoint the exhaust leak while i'm doing that. maybe i can stop by there sometime to bs...i'll bring some beers
post #8 of 8 Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanwill28 View Post
You mentioned it smells rich, does it have a wideband? A wideband to monitor AFR is a must when running a turbo; if you run lean under boost, things break.

no wideband. at least i don't see a gauge anywhere that is monitoring a/f. i'm figuring the a/f is controlled by a chip that the guy from radical racing burned when he did the tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement