Ebay High flow cat - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Ebay High flow cat

Are the High flow cats on ebay worth my trouble ? I am in the prosess of collectiong parts to rebuild my exhaust due to installing a On3 turbo and I have chambers flows on the car now and want to have cats installed at the same time (for the smell and emissions ). So far i have ordered magnaflows magnapacks . I am looking at cats on ebay and was wondering if they are worth the trouble or should i get a named brand cats
Thanks for any imput . Links would also be helpfull seeing ebay has so many listed
Also will i need to have the car retuned when i am done ?

2002 MustangGT,FRPP 70mm TB,TF plenum,1/2" Intake/plenum spacer,Qa1K member A arms,UPR Coilover,UPR 4Bolt CC,Tokico HP's,FL subframe connectors,UPR torque boxs,SVT Focus Fuel Pump,BAP,42lb injectors,Magnapacks,SCT X3,Pro-5.0 Shifter,3:55 Gears,On3 MP Turbo T70,EboostStreet,446whp/511wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-06-2010, 12:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Not sure about the ebay cats but I bought a single 3.5" Magniflow cat from e-bay for my turbo setup. I had a local muffler shop fab up two sections that are the same length, one with the cat, and the other with a magnaflow pro race straight through muffler. I use some of those exhaust bands to swap the section out for when I have to go get emissions tested and when the muffler is in there it kind of looks like a cat since I have my normal catback as well. I'll tell you this, after driving the car 1 mile to the inspection shop, getting it tested, and then driving it home my cat was glowing red hot. I let the car cool down for an hour before swapping back and the cat was still very hot. Moral of the story, I wouldn't run a turbo car with a cat on there full time!

BTW, I am an a##hole, you shouldn't buy anything from me because I will screw you over.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-06-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info . I am worried about the heat but was planning on installing the cats pretty far back . (just in front of the magnapacks ) But i am still worried that it will be too hot for them even that far back . I like the idea of making it removable . Then i can put it on for emissions and remove after .I do notice alot more heat from under the car since i installed to turbo .

2002 MustangGT,FRPP 70mm TB,TF plenum,1/2" Intake/plenum spacer,Qa1K member A arms,UPR Coilover,UPR 4Bolt CC,Tokico HP's,FL subframe connectors,UPR torque boxs,SVT Focus Fuel Pump,BAP,42lb injectors,Magnapacks,SCT X3,Pro-5.0 Shifter,3:55 Gears,On3 MP Turbo T70,EboostStreet,446whp/511wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 AM

Mine is installed behind the transmission crossmember and it still got that hot! It slips over the second section of the downpipe and inside of my y-pipe that splits to my mufflers. I don't even want to think about the strain that puts on the turbo and how much power that sucker is robbing!

Mine will only be on my car one day a year!

BTW, I am an a##hole, you shouldn't buy anything from me because I will screw you over.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM

If you're converter is glowing red hot only after a mile of driving, you've got other issues.

How is that OEM car manufacturers get away with converters for 100K+ miles without problems?
post #6 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I drove around for a year with a magnaflow 3" cat on my turbo set up. No problems with glowing cats etc. I took it off and put a straight through pipe in its place. Man that thing was killing my power. Major seat of the pants increase in power. Drove around for another year like that and loved it, until I got pinched.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanggreg View Post
If you're converter is glowing red hot only after a mile of driving, you've got other issues.

How is that OEM car manufacturers get away with converters for 100K+ miles without problems?

Because the engines are calibrated properly. Once you start going in and making all sorts of modifications you throw emissions out the window. OEM's are tuning cars to get the best of everything you can, power, emissions, drivability. If you tweak one the others are going to suffer.
Catalytic convertors only function in a very narrow temperature range, but they have to get to that temp very quickly and then maintain it. If its glowing, then above it correct, you've got other issues. If its glowing, its also probably melted and actually hindering your performance.

"All your base are belong to us"
post #8 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

im looking into MAGNAFLOW 99000 SERIES CATALYTIC CONVERTER Part#99236HM. I will call magnaflow in the morning and see if they will work . From what i have been reading the metal core cat is the way to go for higher flow and turbo setups . Im gana get pinched soon i just know my luck and its going to happen Thats why im so intent on installing them

Last edited by vorga; 09-07-2010 at 10:16 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Ok once again i changed my mind . im going with the magnaflow part# 59956 cat. the 99000 is not a metal core like i thought it was .

post #10 of 10 Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Just got back from having the cats and magnapacks installed . The car sounds great and no more dirt bike sound and i get to full boost quicker . I really wasent able to play much on the HWY it was rush Hr when they finished up so i will have to wait . But it does sound and feel much better . I went with 2 magnaflow part# 59956 cats right in front of the magnapacks .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement