Blow threw MAF - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
Cool Blow threw MAF

How hard would it be to make your own?Is it just a piece of pipe with the sencer mounted to it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-29-2010, 11:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (60)
i have a extra weld on mass air bracket if you want it, it is the one from on3...$25 shipped??

post #3 of 31 Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Is it just the flange?Or the whole tube minus electronics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM

it is the flange, brand new never used..
post #5 of 31 Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
depends o how you want to set it up. like using a stock 05 up slot maf, use a 4" pipe. or like the hpx slot maf, is good for 650hp in a 3" pipe.

or the 6pin style maf in blow thru works too. i normally just weld the flange to the charge pipe in the inner fender

alot depends on what meter you have, or plan on using. and that depends alot on how much hp you'll be making

I am on3 dealer. message me for some killer deals
post #6 of 31 Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conbread View Post
it is the flange, brand new never used..
I'll let you know
post #7 of 31 Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead559 View Post
depends o how you want to set it up. like using a stock 05 up slot maf, use a 4" pipe. or like the hpx slot maf, is good for 650hp in a 3" pipe.

or the 6pin style maf in blow thru works too. i normally just weld the flange to the charge pipe in the inner fender

alot depends on what meter you have, or plan on using. and that depends alot on how much hp you'll be making
I'm hoping for close to 6 at the wheels.I only have a pro m 80mm MAF right now and a LMAF 90mm at this point.Is a blow threw really needed?Whats the diffrence in blow threw and a normal MAF?
post #8 of 31 Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEDYA View Post
I'm hoping for close to 6 at the wheels.I only have a pro m 80mm MAF right now and a LMAF 90mm at this point.Is a blow threw really needed?Whats the diffrence in blow threw and a normal MAF?
well you have blow thur or draw thru.. on a draw thru your bov has to recirculate back into the air intake stream. trust me when i say blow thru is better.

post #9 of 31 Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Gotcha but whats the diffrence between blow threw and a regular MAF?
post #10 of 31 Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
they are both the same, it just depends on where the meter is placed. before the turbo is draw thru, and after the turbo is blow thru.

1993 GT 357W T76
post #11 of 31 Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
They are different in the way they meter the air flow. Draw through has a single sample tube directly under the sensor. Blow through has multiple holes slotted throughout the sensor to correctly meter the air flow under rather turbulent conditions.

1990 GT....slow again...
post #12 of 31 Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Either i'm miss understanding you guy's?Or your miss understanding me?I'm asking whats the diffrence in a regular MAF and a blow threw MAF?I could care less about a draw through MAF.
post #13 of 31 Old 08-31-2010, 01:07 AM

nothing really.. some mafs have a sample tube in them. some dont. some need to be in a 4" pipe to work correctly.

just when its refered to as blow thru, is the configuration that the air is either forced, or drawn acrossed it.. make sense. like removing your turbo system, and leaving the same maf, your blow thru just became a draw thru.. get it now

post #14 of 31 Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Pretty sure i understand this?You tell me?So i have a 80mm PRO M and the 90MM LMAFO.So i caint just remove the sencer from the PRO-M (since it's calibrated for 60#) and just put it in a 4" pipe?
post #15 of 31 Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM

to be honest, i have not tried that myself.

post #16 of 31 Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

But by my responce,do you think it will work?Where abouts in columbus are you?I'm possibly flying in for the NMRA races at national trails and wouldnt mind comming by to chat and check out the shop.
post #17 of 31 Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 PM

im right off 270 one exit north or broad st...

i could work.. but all you can do is try it and if you peg the maf, get a mafia, or go back and just sell that stuff and get the maf and flange from on3. i have used them a few times with 60's.

post #18 of 31 Old 09-01-2010, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
im right off 270 one exit north or broad st...

i could work.. but all you can do is try it and if you peg the maf, get a mafia, or go back and just sell that stuff and get the maf and flange from on3. i have used them a few times with 60's.
Well i am most likely buying cornbreads flange.So i can take that and weld it into the pipe running from the IC to the TB?Then i can install my electronics from my PRO M?But wont i want to weld it into a piece of 4" pipe instead of the piece thats in the kit? Are you around mound street?high street?My mom lives on highland ave (last i knew) i grew up in grove city for 26 years,we all use to get together in central point and go out to hillard and street race at night,I'll have to get your address,are you going to the races?
post #19 of 31 Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Jon, draw through maf's (normal) are calibrated differently than blow-through. I can't imagine a draw through would work well as a blow-through, why not just get a protube from jd's. I personally feel its worth putting the cash down for a good maf, especially with a boosted car.
post #20 of 31 Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Well i am most likely buying cornbreads flange.So i can take that and weld it into the pipe running from the IC to the TB?Then i can install my electronics from my PRO M?But wont i want to weld it into a piece of 4" pipe instead of the piece thats in the kit? Are you around mound street?high street?My mom lives on highland ave (last i knew) i grew up in grove city for 26 years,we all use to get together in central point and go out to hillard and street race at night,I'll have to get your address,are you going to the races?
no it dont have to be in a 4" tube.. i use these all the time in 3" tubing.. hell i just used a hpx in a 2.5" pipe, on a hellion kit..with a mafia and made 660 wheel with alot left in the car

and unless your pro m was a blow thru... it wont work as one, but your better off asking them. and as long as the flange cornbread has isnt the aluminum version, it will weld right in the pipe. some of the flanges from o3 are aluminum, some are steel. i always make sure i grab a steel one. normally i have extras on hand, but right now im out of them.

i grew up on the west side in about that area myself.. i lived on the outer edge of grove city for the last few years. but now im real close to the shop. and the shop is closer to trails then i have ever been..lol (im like 20 minutes from trails) i was going to set up at the show, but been so busy, not sure if i'll even have time to go out and watch some racing

post #21 of 31 Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
no it dont have to be in a 4" tube.. i use these all the time in 3" tubing.. hell i just used a hpx in a 2.5" pipe, on a hellion kit..with a mafia and made 660 wheel with alot left in the car

and unless your pro m was a blow thru... it wont work as one, but your better off asking them. and as long as the flange cornbread has isnt the aluminum version, it will weld right in the pipe. some of the flanges from o3 are aluminum, some are steel. i always make sure i grab a steel one. normally i have extras on hand, but right now im out of them.

i grew up on the west side in about that area myself.. i lived on the outer edge of grove city for the last few years. but now im real close to the shop. and the shop is closer to trails then i have ever been..lol (im like 20 minutes from trails) i was going to set up at the show, but been so busy, not sure if i'll even have time to go out and watch some racing
Whats this hpx and mafia your talking about here?...Yeah not the greatest part of columbus huh
post #22 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Whats this hpx and mafia your talking about here?...Yeah not the greatest part of columbus huh

the hpx is the slot maf that on3 sells aswell. good to about 650 wheel in a 3" tube (which is the size of tubing you'll be putting it in anyway) the mafia is a maf extender.

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php...=display&pid=4
# F7324 is the plug and play one
you would need the slot maf flange, and the hpx and a harness pigtail. add the mafia instead of the pigtail, and just plug it in. the mafia would give you tos of room to grow later too.

post #23 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
the hpx is the slot maf that on3 sells aswell. good to about 650 wheel in a 3" tube (which is the size of tubing you'll be putting it in anyway) the mafia is a maf extender.

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php...=display&pid=4
# F7324 is the plug and play one
you would need the slot maf flange, and the hpx and a harness pigtail. add the mafia instead of the pigtail, and just plug it in. the mafia would give you tos of room to grow later too.
Can that be used with a SCT chip? It sounds like the mafia is what you use to calibrate your MAF? Plug it into your MAF then plug your stock harness into the MAFIA?I have the adapter to go from a stock fox harness to a 2000 up lightning.Who else sells those slot MAF?I bought the flange from conbread so i'll be welding that in here soon.And it dosent or does it matter what oclock position it's in?As i understand weld it in 6" from the bend comming out of the IC?

Last edited by SMOKEDYA; 09-02-2010 at 08:51 AM.
post #24 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Can that be used with a SCT chip? It sounds like the mafia is what you use to calibrate your MAF? Plug it into your MAF then plug your stock harness into the MAFIA?I have the adapter to go from a stock fox harness to a 2000 up lightning.Who else sells those slot MAF?I bought the flange from conbread so i'll be welding that in here soon.And it dosent or does it matter what oclock position it's in?As i understand weld it in 6" from the bend comming out of the IC?
can be used with any chip. sct moates and so on
no, you dont calibrate your maf with it.. it reduces the signal. hence why its called a maf extender
hpx sells a nice slot maf
is the flange cornbread have for the 05up slot maf
yes it is directional...it should only be welded on in the correct direction
clock postion does no matter
ideally you want it 6" after, and 6" before any bends

post #25 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
can be used with any chip. sct moates and so on
no, you dont calibrate your maf with it.. it reduces the signal. hence why its called a maf extender
hpx sells a nice slot maf
is the flange cornbread have for the 05up slot maf
yes it is directional...it should only be welded on in the correct direction
clock postion does no matter
ideally you want it 6" after, and 6" before any bends
"yes it is directional...it should only be welded on in the correct direction"
by this statement you mean by the way of flow?IDK if his is a slot MAF it's whatever on 3 sells?I do know it's stainless.
post #26 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
"yes it is directional...it should only be welded on in the correct direction"
by this statement you mean by the way of flow?IDK if his is a slot MAF it's whatever on 3 sells?I do know it's stainless.
on3 sells both ,maf flanges, and both styles of mafs.

and also has them in alumium iirc

post #27 of 31 Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (33)
Your question has been answered here a few times. I will tell you what I did though. I took a PRO-M bullet meter, removed the electronics and welded a flange into a 3" pipe. Thats what my whole system is. From blower through the cooler and to the throttle body. All 3". I installed the calibrated meter into the pipe after the cooler. I installed the TiAL BOV before the cooler. Got tuned and it runs like a stock car making well over [email protected] No bucking.
post #28 of 31 Old 09-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Or just do it simple like most people... Buy a pmas 3" pro tube and tune it that way
post #29 of 31 Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Well i think i understand now?I can use my PRO-M electronics with the on3 flange i bought as long as it matches up??????????????????????????????????????????
post #30 of 31 Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 PM

it will match up perfect... thanks man..
post #31 of 31 Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (31)
sherm..... you are thinking of the pro-m unifer or universal that has the sample tubes in it. the newer "blow threw" meters have the electronics hang down in the pipe like n/a meters.

Quote:
Well i think i understand now?I can use my PRO-M electronics with the on3 flange i bought as long as it matches up??????????????????????????????????????????
AND ITS TUNED !!!!!! any meter can run in any set up with proper tune.... but might still need the extender.

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement