Hooking up waste gate & boost controller - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Hooking up waste gate & boost controller

Hi everyone im just finishing up my turbo install on my mustang but have no idea which lines go to my wastegate, and boost controller. The wastegate has 2 ports on it and so does my boost controller which is a hallman pro rx.

Ive also read somewhere that some guys drill and tap there compressor housing. Is this for the wastegate?

Im a complete newb when it comes to turbo's has ive only had vortech's up untill now.

Thanks Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
i just did this 2 weeks ago. what you need to do is yes, tap your turbo right where your coldside piping connects to it. then connect your waste gate to the turbo.

Now, with the Boost controller. cut line between turbo and wastegate( the line you just tapped in turbo for waste gate). and hook it up to the line you just cut. its very easy. tapping the turbo is the best source, and fastest source of boost. because its directly off the turbo. hope this helps. brett

post #3 of 18 Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Thanks for the reply..Which of the 2 ports on the wastegate is used? its a tial 38mm, and there's an upper and lower? Also with the boost controller theres 2 ports on it. Is it suppose to make a continuous loop? or is one port plugged off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-28-2010, 02:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coilz347 View Post
Thanks for the reply..Which of the 2 ports on the wastegate is used? its a tial 38mm, and there's an upper and lower? Also with the boost controller theres 2 ports on it. Is it suppose to make a continuous loop? or is one port plugged off?
On wastegate use bottom port for boost pressure, on boost controller it will say like wastegate side that goes towards wastegate.

Voodoo racing innovation built 4v , powerglide, borg warner s475 at 29psi, custome turbo kit , pro efi ecu, Aeromotive fuel pump, aeromotive fuel rails, id 1000 injectors, e85. Best to date 1.36 60'
Best pass to date 8.92 at 156mph. Best 1/8 mile 5.6at 127 mph.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 AM

just use bottem port on wastegate. the top port is not needed!
post #6 of 18 Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaite View Post
just use bottem port on wastegate. the top port is not needed!
the top port is where the boost controller applies pressure to keep it closed.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine762 View Post
whats the purpose of a spring
post #8 of 18 Old 08-28-2010, 08:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
Quote:
X2

New build in progress: Twin Gen 2 PT6466 352

Old combo:352 single 76mm turbo, 16psi, AOD, 9.41 @ 149mph, E85, 255/50/16 MT DR, 3500lb STREET car driven everywhere.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I have the same controller,didnt you get instructions with it?The side port on the controller goes to the WG the bottom port on the controller goes to vac source.The top port on the WG stays open use the side port on the WG.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
whats the purpose of a spring

You have it incorrect ... you will run the line from the Turbo Compressor outlet towards the wastegate you will then put a T fitting at the end off that line... one end of that T will goto the BOTTOM port of the wastegate.. the other end of the T will goto the INLET port of the controller..the OUTLET port of the controller will goto the TOP port on the wastegate. The spring basically dictates lowest boost level. By setting it up this way you allow the BOOST pressure through the controller to act on top of the spring pressure to allow for MORE BOOST... with the controller fully open it will apply ALL BOOST PRESSURE to the top of the spring pressure and keep the gate closed .. i.e. more boost...with the controller fully closed the spring pressure itself is the only thing the gate has to over come .. LESS boost

Hope this helps

post #11 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 PM

well the way i have mine hooked up works great. line run from turbo to BC then BC to side port of WG. i can turn boost up or down.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
well the way i have mine hooked up works great. line run from turbo to BC then BC to side port of WG. i can turn boost up or down.
I was simply trying to explain the CORRECT way to hook it up .. u can do as you like .. but that is not the correct way
post #13 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 PM

o i just followed the directions that i have for waste gate and boost controller.. the way mine is is a correct way. not the only correct way. it still works exactly the same. boost can be turned up/or down in both methods

Last edited by bwaite; 08-31-2010 at 11:49 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
o i just followed the directions that i have for waste gate and boost controller.. the way mine is is a correct way. not the only correct way. it still works exactly the same. boost can be turned up/or down in both methods
IT doesnt work EXACTLY the same way.. thats what im trying to tell you... hook it up the way I explained .. take the car for a ride and tell me it works EXACTLY the same way !

IF your way is the correct way why would they have the port at the top !!
post #15 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thats how you hook up a controller to a turbo with an internal gate because it only has one port. The spring keeps the valve closed until boost pressure is applied to the bottom of it to open the valve. When you use a boost controller you apply boost to the top and bottom of it and they cancel each other out keeping the valve closed. The controller simply has a PWM solenoid that controls the amount of pressure applied to the top port, once the pressure from the turbo applied to the bottom port is greater than the spring and the pressure applied to the top port the valve opens.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Thats how you hook up a controller to a turbo with an internal gate because it only has one port. The spring keeps the valve closed until boost pressure is applied to the bottom of it to open the valve. When you use a boost controller you apply boost to the top and bottom of it and they cancel each other out keeping the valve closed. The controller simply has a PWM solenoid that controls the amount of pressure applied to the top port, once the pressure from the turbo applied to the bottom port is greater than the spring and the pressure applied to the top port the valve opens.
im confused now??? so should i change mine to use both ports ?? how would it improve, over the way that its run now??? because im hitting 8 lbs now. and i can adjust it +,- boost levels.

2004 Mustang Sonic Blue - turbo- - MMR 4.75 900
post #17 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper View Post
X2
care to share more on your mods?
post #18 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 AM

is this an electronic controller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement