1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(lots of pics) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(lots of pics)

This is basically just a repost of my completed build thread on the turboforums, but I figure someone might be interested in a little fabrication. It took about two weeks for me to get my car running, this is all the progress threads just copied and pasted. Let the fun begin

Okay, finally starting my build thread. Here's the rundown. Bought the car may 13 of 2007 lol. It was in pretty horrible condition, though I thought it was mainly appearance and a fuel pump/brakes/tires. Interior was stripped and most of the pieces were sitting in the hatch. Many were the wrong color. So I worked 40 hour weeks during the summer, came home and worked until it was time to sleep. On the weekends I'd stay up til 2 or 3 am. Did this everyday for a couple months(no girlfriend haha). Found out the guy had put the wrong type of lugnuts on the wheels, they came off at a pretty good speed, the wheel went off somewhere and the car fell onto the brake drum/axle, drum was gone when I got it, axle was bent. Shock mounts has been grounf pretty good, and it took 30 minuts with the side grinder to get the lip off the backing plate so I could mount a new drum. Plus the fuel pump was bad, plus the master cylinder and brakes along with all the hardware for the rear(back left had nothing left after the wreck apparently) aaand on my first test drive I found out that 2nd gear was stripped. Fast forward, did some body work, rebuilt the tranny, sanded and primed the car, put the matching wheels and CORRECT lugnuts on. Had a guy paint it, did some engine work, and now I'm doing the turbo build. I bought a pony down hotside from a guy on here, but the post office lost it, and I don't have 5 weeks to wait for a new one since I'm going to college over an hour away, which means I lose my shop access and welder in a few weeks. So now I'm fabbing the hotside. I actually don't have any pics of the turbo itself right now, but I'll get some. Wish me luck guys, I'm definitely gonna need it on my time schedule lol

Chassis:
D&D motorsports tubular k-member and control arms, with coilover springs on the fron
Eibach drag launch springs on the back
Boxed rear control arms(can't remember from where)
Subframe connectors
Torque Box reinforcements

Engine:
2001 5.0 block, stock rotating assembly with less than 50k on them
Worked the heads slightly(gt40p) mainly just cleaning up casting flaws and port matching to gaskets
Edelbrock performer rpm II intake
BBK 70mm TB

Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer for engine management, tuning it with my netbook
Innovate Wideband

Drivetrain:
Tremec TKO transmission
Ceramic clutch
Rebuilt traction LOK rearend with carbon fiber clutches
Aluminum driveshaft
3.73 gears

Turbo stuff:
Holset HX40w turbo, 60mm 8 blade compressor with 21 cm^2 turbine housing
FRPP 42 lb injectors
C&L 70 mm blow through MAF
Flipped shorty headers
Dynomax ultraflow welded 3.5 inch muffler and 3.5 inch downpipe
JGS 50mm BOV
JGS 40mm Wastegate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Okay, got in about an hour and a half of work friday before I left. Here's some pics. Hopefully will be done by wednesday. I actually have the driver side tube coming down, and a 90ish angle on it, but I didn't have a chance to take pics before i left. Just need to get a rough in on where the merge will be, then tac it in, take it out and attempt to make it pretty lol. Gonna try coating it with the VHT stuff, just to see what happens. I've heard a few people say it was okay, some say it will flake off in a year, but it was like 8 bucks for a can and I already had an order coming, so I figured what the heck. We will see how it turns out, I assume a lot of the results will depend on if I actually follow the curing process. Also have a black turbo blanket coming. The downpipe will have a vband at the turbo, and one near the firewall so I can remove that section. The crossover will either have one or 2 v-bands, I have two, but not sure I need to remove the center, and a flex section. My first time fabricating and doing any sort of extensive welding, so feedback is welcomed

post #3 of 15 Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Got more progress, need to connecto the intercooler to TB side, and finish the downpipe and weld in the O2 sensor bungs. Pretty much everything else is done. Should be done by tomorrow, praying nothing goes wrong to where I have to take it back apart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

okay, have FINALLY been able to drive my turbo mustang! No oil leaks or anything, but my header gaskets are leaking, I'm gonna drive it a bit and tighten the bolts and see if it goes away in a day, if not I'm pulling everything back off lmao. Got into boost a couple times, the first time I made full boost I got scared when the wastegate opened up(it just dumps, and I'm not used to a loud noise all of a sudden) and let off immediately. It's right around 6 or 7 psi, didn't kick in until 3200ish rpm, but I have the timing at 22 degrees, could probably help spool by playing with it. Second time I got into it I broke traction in a 2nd gear roll(its been raining all day) and I let off as soon as I heard it cut loose. The blowoff valve sounds awesome, its been pretty quiet though, but its not the high pitched deal, its sounds like a whoosh of air, and a huge smile hit my face when I heard it lol. It was originally open at idle, so I put the stiffer spring supplied in, closed at idle, and it cycled when I let off the gas under load, didn't hear any surge. All in all I'm happy I made it this far. Gonna work on the tune(actually was running like 10.5:1 during wot) and prolly up the boost to the harder wastegate spring(8 or 9?) 1st vid is open downpipe. 2nd is the vid of the new exhaust and all, car cut off after rev, had to tweak the MAF curve to get it to run a little better
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-04-32_160.mp4
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-42-56_991.mp4

post #5 of 15 Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Okay, had my coworker ride with me and take a vid while i did some uh...datalogging. The red van ahead of me is my other coworker. The first one was just 2nd, i hit the rev limiter(not used to going through a gear so quickly)
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-12-25_187.mp4
Second vid lol, i started the pull and the car nosed over and fell on its face, you can hear my reaction"something blew off" my coworker looked at me and said huh? and i said "something bad happened" drove it to the shop, repositioned the coupler, everything seems fine now.
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-13-28_794.mp4

I start seeing boost at like 3200 rpm, full boost is instant. You can hear in my video, as soon as you hear the turbo, the wastegate kicks in. But its only 6 psi, and 8 blades spool quicker anyway. I saw your post andanswered a couple questions i think. I would definitely go with the 19cm if you can. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, im glad to help. I had a lot of questions before my build.

For the next step, gonna swap out the 3.73's for 3.27's more than likely. I burnt the plug boot off of the number 2 cylinder, ended up putting on a 90 degree boot instead of a 45, got a couple hundred miles on it now, mainly highway cruising. Getting about 17 mpg in town, going back and forth to school I cruise at 75mph, 2300rpm in 5th lol. That gets me about 18mpg, crusing around 60mph my datalogger says its about 20.5 mpg. Definitely looking forward to the gear swap.

Last edited by 302f150; 08-20-2010 at 09:26 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
cool build. congrats on getting it finished. your on cr. I've see your car at pro dyno before. Also another moates quarter horse user here.

1993 GT 357W T76

Last edited by turbocar; 08-21-2010 at 02:08 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

lol, yup. I missed the dyno day this year. I'm planning on going next year more than likely. I havent posted the build on cr, it's been a while since I've been on there. thanks for the props
post #8 of 15 Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
Pretty cool what you can do with some welding and persistence.

Keep us posted as you get the bugs worked out and get it to the track.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #9 of 15 Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Very cool. Congrats!
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #10 of 15 Old 08-26-2010, 10:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
where did you pick up the turbo at?

-Nate
'95 GT
post #11 of 15 Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

a guy on the turbo forums had access to it from a buddy that ran a scrapyard. Turbo came off of a transit bus, I put a rebuild kit in it just to be safe, and a new compressor wheel. Then polished up the area around the compressor where it had some nicks and all. From what I was told, they decided not to run air filters on those because of space constraints lmao. Ended up with about $360 bucks in it after all was said and done. Here is the turbo torn apart, minus the turbine housing(which was in the hot tank)

Last edited by 302f150; 08-28-2010 at 01:18 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-09-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Well, i put the stiffer wastegate spring in, did a pull, pegged my MAF, and leaned to 13.5:1.....it didn't blow the engine up, I believe it just lifted the heads(been driving it since, no problems) but if i get into boost for like a split second the coolant starts bubbling out of the overflow lol. Got into it at 40mph in 2nd, blew the tires off, let up, went to third, pulled crazy hard. 60-90mph in 3 seconds according to the datalog. Pulling the heads off this weekend, going back in with fel pro 9333pt-1 head gaskets and ARP studs. Will have more updates later....can't afford to buy a new MAF and injectors(91% duty cycle and still leaned out) so I'm gonna get a manual boost controller and find a happy medium b/t my old boost level and the one that caused me all this grief lol

Last edited by 302f150; 11-09-2010 at 12:43 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
How much boost was the stiffer spring?

-Nate
'95 GT
post #14 of 15 Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

According to my gauge and the quick glimpse I got it was like 12-13psi. I know it was over 11. A lot of people seem to have problems with the heads lifting on gt40p's right around there, so I believe the leaning out might not have even caused it. Either way, I'm turning the boost down and and putting studs in until I have more cash to throw at it.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I pulled the heads off and got everything put back together this past weekend. Did a quick paintjob on the valve covers and ran some taylor spark plug wires. It looks a lttle nicer under the hood now. Couple quick pics, hopefully I'll have vids soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement