trouble starting - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (36)
trouble starting

so im finally done with my turbo build. stock rebuilt 86 long block(crank, rods, pistons, heads and cam) 96 explorer upper/lower. 65mm BBK throttle body. cartech outlaw turbo kit with a 66mm. Pmas blow through meter calibrated for my 60lb injectors.

this past weekend i get it running for only a few seconds with my foot on the gas. ran but ran poorly(very sputtery). i thought it was timing so i got out and played with the distributor some today, but got no where. i know its getting spark and fuel. and im 99% positive i have the timing pretty close to base 10*. maybe a degree or two off. but not enough to make it not start.

i am getting a strong odor of fuel but no leaks. could i just be pushing too much fuel for it to fire?

im at a complete loss here.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
How do you "know" it's a degree or two off? A timing light doesn't say it's close. Either it is or it isn't and that could be your issue. Buy a timing gun.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19935.slow View Post
How do you "know" it's a degree or two off? A timing light doesn't say it's close. Either it is or it isn't and that could be your issue. Buy a timing gun.
i have a timing light but it doesnt really read when the motor doesnt even start....

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I run 60s and a PMAS, I had to pull a #### ton of fuel out on start up with my PMS to get it to crank easy and fire easy. Think I am pulling like 45% on start up. It should still start without a tune though. Double check the connection to the PMAS and make sure its installed correctly. A MAF that's messed up will certainly present with the issues you are having.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJUSTLOST View Post
I run 60s and a PMAS, I had to pull a #### ton of fuel out on start up with my PMS to get it to crank easy and fire easy. Think I am pulling like 45% on start up. It should still start without a tune though. Double check the connection to the PMAS and make sure its installed correctly. A MAF that's messed up will certainly present with the issues you are having.
i have the maf flowing the correct direction but should it be clocked a certain way? right now i have it so the meter is on top

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
post #6 of 8 Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
with the 60lb injectors you need to be able to pull fuel out at cranking pulse with which means you need a tune, i am running the same stuff as you on my sn, and my car would not even come close to starting. With big injectors and a pmass it NEEDS a tune. fuel pressure will not cure this issue, just because some people have done it, doesnt mean it will work on all, trust me, i tried for a while before biting the bullet and buying a moates quarterhorse and tunning it myself with some help from radical racing. 10x better. and like ujustlost said, i took almost 50% fual out at cranking to get my to fire. Now it starts everytime with a flick of the key, just like stock. Also, my pmass transfer was so far off the way it came, it was SOOOO rich. took out about 12% of fuel out of the whole transfer.

95GT: 302, TEA TFS heads, systemax, jay allen cam, t-70, 60lb inj, moates quarterhorse, dynamic c4, and so on...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best so far (only pass on the car) 10.72 @ 123 (needs 3.27's)
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
deva if you want, order yourself up a moates quarter horse, and bring the car down, im in albany ny, not sure where in mass you are, but ill help you get it straightened out if you want.

95GT: 302, TEA TFS heads, systemax, jay allen cam, t-70, 60lb inj, moates quarterhorse, dynamic c4, and so on...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best so far (only pass on the car) 10.72 @ 123 (needs 3.27's)
post #8 of 8 Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Well little update. After turning down the pressure some and locking the timing out at 20* the car fires right up. It's far from perfect but still starts! I have a tuner and dyno lined up so I'll be getting a tune soon. Just need to get the exhaust and gears done. Thanks for the help guys!

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement