are Mac mufflers o.k for my set up??????? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
are Mac mufflers o.k for my set up???????

I have a pair of mac's on the car now with a precision 67, heads, cam, intake. just all of your normal stuff. I run 12lbs of boost but I was told I need to run straight through mufflers. What sucks is that the tone of the car is awesome right now, and I dont want anything to obnoxiously loud like bullets or something. but please let me know if you think the back pressure of these macs willl be fine or if I will HAVE TO get different ones. And give me your suggestions on what to get...like I said something that sounds nice, just not LOUD and crazy. Thanks Rodney

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If they are a chambered muffler, absolutely not.

post #3 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 04:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
i guess if youre happy with the way it sounds then leave it on there. ive seen a twin turbo terminator with a mac catback running more than 12 psi ran and sound great. idk if dynomax's ultra flow are straight through but i think they sound good also

Aaron

1993 Mustang GT built and tuned by JPC Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 05:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (27)
i've heard chamber mufflers are bad with boost
post #5 of 10 Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
My buddies car sounded awsome NA w/ mac exhaust but after a turbo it sounded horrible so he added SLP LM2 and it sounded better. Usually you want a straight through mufflers w/ a turbo

1999 Rio Red/ Black Cobra . Manley Pistons, Scat rods Arp hardware.... On 3 Performance Kit w/Master power 70mm Turbo, 03/04 cobra tank and pumps , 60lb injectors ,HPX Mass air, 4:30 gears 03/04 axles & diff & SCT tuned by EFI logics
post #6 of 10 Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
3 chamber flows here. I really wonder if it makes that much difference on a non all out setup.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #7 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
The dyno max ultra flows are straight through and ofton said to be one of the best turbo muflers. I had the mac's as well prioir to turboing my car, was sad to see them go, but the welded ultra flows sound good, my car is nice and quite now which I was happy to hear.

Yes there is a difference when you have a chambered muffler and a striaght through. If you had a back pressure gauge set up you would see it. Although 9 PSI is not going to creat a huge amount of back pressure. There are other factors to account for like CI of the motor, turbo and flange size and pipe size.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
yup theyl work fine they are pretty much strait threw one of the best flowing muffs out there. ive cut them open an let me tell you there free flow only a small trap in the middle and all the gasses pass around it and through it like i said pretty much a strait threw without sounding like one.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Thanks alot for all of your help. I went with the welded ultra flo's and Im putting them on in the morning. I was just afraid of too much back pressure possibly blowing out gaskets or what not. So thanks again for all of your suggestions.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
the turboforums has a sticky about mufflers. They swapped out a set of flowmasters for a set of the ultraflow weldeds, and gained 25hp. Pretty big improvement for strictly a muffler swap, plus lower pressure in the exhaust creates a higher pressure differential b/t the inlet and outlet of the turbine, which helps spool speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement