On3 kit oil in exhaust - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
On3 kit oil in exhaust

Hey guys. Got the car running with a pte 6765 journal bearing turbo and on3 piping. Just was making some tweaks at the exhaust shop today and noticed a bit of oil in the exhaust pipes. I am using the feed and drain that came with the on3 kit. What size is the feed line? -3 or -4? I am guessing that there is too much oil pressure and it's leaking by the seals? Center section is almost dead vertical, drain line is unblocked I ran 8 quarts through it to flush out the metal shavings after tapping the pan. Seemed to flow fine. Could it be my crankcase venting system? I have 3/8 vaccum lines run from both valve covers to a catch can with a breather. Does it need to be less restrictive? Is it possible that I just have too much oil pressure on the journal bearing and it's leaking by? Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by 01GTurbo; 08-11-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
You could have a number of issues. Personally 3/8 inch line from each valve cover is way too small. I would think a minimum of -10 (1/2 inch) or even better -12 (3/4 inch) from each valve cover is the way to go. I know some will disagree but I have seen too many cars use -8 from each valve cover to vent the crankcase and have issues.

Also make sure your turbo return is at least 3/8 inch, preferably 1/2 inch. Again I am sure I will get flack on this statement but I have seen small oil returns lead to issues. No one ever had a problem using an oil return or valve cover vent that was too big. Save yourself the headaches and use the big hoses.

Oh yeah, I run a journal bearing PT76 with -4 feed, no issue. From what I understand, you only have to restrict oil flow to the full ball bearing units.

post #3 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Bad turbo?

big question is, are you sure its oil? i know how exhaust can carbon up, and when oe is running right, you get a bit of water in the exhaust , and sometimes it makes you think its oil...(just went thru that)

I am on3 dealer. message me for some killer deals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 12:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
/agree with everything above, also i would consider doing a compression test.

95GT: 302, TEA TFS heads, systemax, jay allen cam, t-70, 60lb inj, moates quarterhorse, dynamic c4, and so on...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best so far (only pass on the car) 10.72 @ 123 (needs 3.27's)
post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 AM

if its oil it should be like sticky ass left out maple syrup. or lots of oil, an smoking while driving, been blown oil seals. did you prime the turbo before starting the car for driving?
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

It was not real sticky and there is no smoke while driving. I will beef up the valve cover breathers. I think the on3 kit drain is 1/2 inch so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what you mean by prime the turbo before starting the car for driving. I cranked it a few times over without firing it the first time to get oil going in in the turbo if that's what you mean.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

How likely is it that this is caused by my breather setup being inadequate? There is just a fine coating of oil inside the pipes, nothing major and it doesn't smoke. Just looked and I have a -4 feed and 5/8 drain but there is a stainless piece that makes a bend into the pan in the drain that is 1/2 inch stainless steel. Seems like it should work fine though. Could the breather restriction cause this amount of oil to accumulate in the exhaust? Should I run one of those smog pumps?
post #8 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GTurbo View Post
How likely is it that this is caused by my breather setup being inadequate? There is just a fine coating of oil inside the pipes, nothing major and it doesn't smoke. Just looked and I have a -4 feed and 5/8 drain but there is a stainless piece that makes a bend into the pan in the drain that is 1/2 inch stainless steel. Seems like it should work fine though. Could the breather restriction cause this amount of oil to accumulate in the exhaust? Should I run one of those smog pumps?
i dont think thats the issue!

post #9 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (60)
is the turbo clocked right??? is the oil feed all the way at the top??
post #10 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 PM

and i wish you wouldnt have made this title state this. some people dont read, ad just take it as a on3 kit has failed....(i got 3 calls on it today..lol)

so your just using the on3 piping, and a pte turbo?

maybe you need a restrict-or in the feed line?

post #11 of 15 Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Turbo is clocked right. Center section is vertical. I called precision and the rep said the feed is fine as I assume it is a -4. Sorry about the title but people need to read before they do things.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (84)
You can get some minor oil seepage past the seal if you are beating on the car. I had that with my pt78. It wasn't smoking. From what precision and Frank at PSI explained the seal is like an oil ring and it doesn't prevent all oil from going through. If a little goes by I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

1989 Saleen 89-425 all original + Baer 6P Brakes
1990 Saleen 90-137 heavily modded
1989 Shadow Blue Metallic Hatchback LX
[email protected] -- 94mm T4 True Street Trim
Thanks: Baer, Haltech, UPR, National Parts Depot, Meziere, Weldon, BBRC
post #13 of 15 Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GTurbo View Post
Turbo is clocked right. Center section is vertical. I called precision and the rep said the feed is fine as I assume it is a -4. Sorry about the title but people need to read before they do things.
oh i know it... lol ad since i already did read it, first thing out my mouth was, "hey dumbass, read the thread...not just the title" i'd get a pause and then a

"OH"

lmao.

its all good man. just hoping the haters are reading it correctly.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (13)
The oil feed supplied with each kit is 1/8" id and you should have a 5/8" drain which is more than enough. We never run restrictors on that and have never had any issues. Master power will not cover warranty work if we use anything different. They told us 1/2" min on the drain

Did you get the Precision turbo from us or did you get the kit less turbo and add it yourself? If you bought it from us, you have a 1 year warrranty and can have them check it out for you.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Sounds like slight, but normal blowbye. To be safe you can go ahead with the advice, but I'd take a step back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement