Running hot around town but cool on the highway.. Is it the fan? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Running hot around town but cool on the highway.. Is it the fan?

I have a B&G Turbo setup on my '90 fox body and I have been running hot since I installed it. I have replaced my radiator with a three row all aluminum radiator and I have installed a 180 hi-flow thermostat. My car runs about 190 on the highway and at idle and around town it is running 230+. I am running a stock fan and shroud. I was trying to find some specific numbers but I was told the stock fan flows more air than a Mark VIII fan. Anyone have specific flow numbers? How effective is it running this fan with the stock alternator?

The only other thing I can think of that may be causing the car to run hot could be the tune. I had the car tuned by a reputable shop with an SCT chip and I am only running 14 degrees of timing and the tune is on the rich side. How much of an affect would this have on my tune? If it looks like I need to get a Mark VII fan, where is the best place to pick one up?

Thanks in advance for the info!

BTW, I am an a##hole, you shouldn't buy anything from me because I will screw you over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
im having the same freaking problem... but im running the crap black magic fan..
just ordered a UPR air dam... 39.99 and will help some more cool air get to the rad at low speeds dude

oh and the local junkyard for that fan

90GT,R Block 347,Brodix Heads,D1-sc=629WHP/599TQ 14LBS laracca tuned

Daily driver 08 STI
post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Lots and lots of people have been where you are.

I am currently, and from what I can tell, it is my clutch for the clutch fan. When my temps were at almost 230* today, I could spin the fan with very little resistance. If your clutch is pulling the same problem, it doesn't matter what the fan is "rated" at because it isn't actually pulling what it should.

The MKVIII fan will flow some serious air, and it should fix most of your problems, with the only problem being that it pulls almost 40 amps, at full tilt and that is a lot for one item considering you still have a stock alternator. An alternator that is rated at full sing at like 60 or 65 amps. You need to upgrade your alt. Especially considering the instant start spikes going over 100 amps. Not good for your puny stocker.

There is not a very easy way to measure the stock fan CFM, but from what I understand the MKVIII is capable of over 4000 cfm, with some people suggesting over 4500. It moves some serious air, and has proven time and again it can cool boosted plants. If I were in your situation, I would put a PA Performance 130 amp 3G alt or like I have a 200 amp one so I can have my stereo loud, electric fan, a/c on high, and be idling in traffic. I know it is overkill, but not replacing something twice makes me smile. I would then get something like the DCC controller, or a Flex A Lite VSC, and either the MKVIII or Taurus fan (pulls over 3600 cfm and less amps) and that should fix your issues.

Chris

1993 Notch HCI /1994 Lightning / 1973 F250 Hiboy/ 1986 Omni GLH /
1994 Cummins 3500 / 1997 Cummins 3500 /1980 F250 6cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Let us know if the new airdam helps you run cooler. My concern with that is that since the car cools just fine on the highway I think my stock airdam is doing its jobs and I don't know that I new one is going to help out in stop and go driving.

The car only has 10 degrees of base timing. I am going to try and increase this to 14 degrees today and stay out of the throttle and see how that effects my temps. That should tell me if the heat is a result of my tune.

BTW, I am an a##hole, you shouldn't buy anything from me because I will screw you over.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Its most likely the fan, i had a black magic fan with a stock rad and took the fan off and put a dual 11 inch puller setup on it and problem solve, car runs cool in all temps. Make sure all your hotside plumbing is heat wrapped as well, will def cut down on underhood temps.

Rob

95GT: 302, TEA TFS heads, systemax, jay allen cam, t-70, 60lb inj, moates quarterhorse, dynamic c4, and so on...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best so far (only pass on the car) 10.72 @ 123 (needs 3.27's)
post #6 of 8 Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
You're lucky you are in Dallas.

Go around to the junkyards and find a Mark VIII fan
for $50. They're around.

Then go down to AlterStart and get a 160amp alternator
This company rocks !!!! they sell up to 250amp alternators.

http://storesense1.mysuperpageshosti...ail.bok?no=548

Wire it up with flex-a-lite Hvy duty fan controller.

Upgrade all your battery, power cables and grounds and add more grounds.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
OR u can rock it hoodless

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
check you antifreeze mixture make sure its correct improper mix can cause a car to run hotter also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement