On3 50mm BOV question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
On3 50mm BOV question

The BOV come with a spring in the box, but I talked to mike at on3 and says it doesnt need to be installed and just throw it away. I've heard mixed opinions whether it should be closed or open at idle. Anyways mine is open at idle, and it seems like it blows off way to early, like under accel if I accel somewhat hard at first say cruisin in 4th gear and its making boost and If I let up whatsover (not completely closing the throttle) it will blow off. Im losing all boost between shifts even with a quick gear change which is really hurting my 1/4 mile times. I ran a best of 11.70 @ 123 this past weekend. It falls on its face completely when I shift which I think is really hurting my time.

Anyway, Im assuming with some tension on the BOV with the spring included would help my boost issue however the spring is 6" long and it seems like that would be too much tension and not allow the boost to blow off at all. So does the spring need to be cut to the proper length to match my vacuum level? how long would I know how to cut it? Any help would be appreciated...

90 Turbo GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
if you go to the Tial website they actually sell different springs for what you need. they even set them up by how much vacuum you have at idle so the valve will stay shut. i talked to their rep and thats what he told me would fix it. the springs are color coordinated for stiffness. even though ours are a knock off, they are pretty much identical to Tial's valves. the spring that came in the kit is way to stiff. the valve wont even open. trust me i already tried.

post #3 of 5 Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxboostedGT View Post
if you go to the Tial website they actually sell different springs for what you need. they even set them up by how much vacuum you have at idle so the valve will stay shut. i talked to their rep and thats what he told me would fix it. the springs are color coordinated for stiffness. even though ours are a knock off, they are pretty much identical to Tial's valves. the spring that came in the kit is way to stiff. the valve wont even open. trust me i already tried.
lol, yeah I wasnt even going to attempt putting it in. it feels like it would be a 50 psi spring. I was just hoping to be able to cut it down to get the right pressure. Oh well guess I'll order a tial one

90 Turbo GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fiveoh View Post
lol, yeah I wasnt even going to attempt putting it in. it feels like it would be a 50 psi spring. I was just hoping to be able to cut it down to get the right pressure. Oh well guess I'll order a tial one
Yep I did cut it coil after coil until I could push it with my thumb under vacuum and it worked great. Now I have Tial Q bov with 11psi springs.

Voodoo racing innovation built 4v , powerglide, borg warner s475 at 29psi, custome turbo kit , pro efi ecu, Aeromotive fuel pump, aeromotive fuel rails, id 1000 injectors, e85. Best to date 1.36 60'
Best pass to date 8.92 at 156mph. Best 1/8 mile 5.6at 127 mph.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-12-2010, 05:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I have the same bov that you have and had the same problem with it staying open at idle. it was actualy making the car idle rough, so i bought a tail 50mm bov 11psi spring, and solved that problem. you might want to try that. mine stays closed at idle now.

1993 GT 357W T76
Sponsored Links
Advertisement