procharger "race" intercooler - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By justa306

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (161)
Unhappy procharger "race" intercooler

I bought this “race” intercooler 3 years ago from a member on here who changed his setup. The intercooler only had dyno time, looked new, and for safety I had it tested by a local radiator shop and all checked out.

My car was getting painted few months later so the intercooler went on and I drove with it na as just months prior to paint I installed a new motor and had a turbo ready to be installed after I put some mileage on the new motor. Last summer the turbo was installed and the car was tuned where it made 550/550 at 10#, 650/650 at 15#, and 705 and 780 at 15# and meth… needless to say I was happy.

Late last season I noticed that the turbo didn’t spool as fast and wasn’t making the boost it should of the gate. Figured I had an exhaust leak or a bad coupler and with the winter around the corner the car was parked away. This spring while under the car I found that the tank on the intercooler separated.

Procharger’s Jason Medlin, tech manager, took the initial call and eventually Jon MacQuarrie, assistant tech manager, called me back and told me that they can’t do anything for me outside of offering me a new intercooler at a “discounted price” of $890 plus shipping as judging by the first two pics the intercooler was "overboosted", although he couldn’t tell me a what he meant by overboost as far as numbers go: 30, 40, 50psi, etc. I once again explained that I have an electric boost controller that’s set to 15# and if it was to malfunction it will go of the spring in the wastegate which is 10# and this turbo wouldn’t make 50# of boost if that’s what he’s thinking. Isn’t this a “race” intercooler after all??? Truthfully, Jon seemed like a nice guy but you could tell he was new and was simply making the call. I have left 3 follow up voicemails to Jason explaining my unhappiness with the situation and that I would hope they could at least physically examine the intercooler and could go from there. That request went unanswered. I NEVER asked for a new intercooler and simply wanted a real explanation and possibly have the intercooler fixed and leak tested by them.

I brought the intercooler to one of my customers who welds for the military. His opinion was that the weld had very poor penetration. I then took it to a welder who has done some work for me in the past and had him fix the separated section as well as a cracked section in the weld on the back side which I discovered after pulling the intercooler. His feedback was also the same. I then leak tested the intercooler myself and found another bad section at which pint I decided to simply buy a new intercooler from IceVex, as my faith in this “race” unit is gone and I’m rather shocked at the support from procharger. Again, I NEVER asked for a new intercooler and simply wanted a real explanation and possible solution/repair to the existing unit.

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory

Last edited by pkstang; 06-11-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (23)
wow!! that sucks!!!

2012 GT AUTO
bbr tune ,bbr x-pipe,jlt cold air
[email protected]
post #3 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 02:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Had the exact same thing happen to mine. It blew apart at 16psi about 18 inches across the top. You could see the welds we just laying on top of the aluminum. Glad i bought mine used. If it were new and they would not cover it, That would be the last thing i would buy from procharger. Seems this may be a common problem. Maybe bring this to prochargers attention and see what they say.. good luck
winey99cobra likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Procharger has always been known for crappy after sale support.

Their intercoolers are beyond ridiculously over priced.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.

Last edited by r.barn; 06-12-2010 at 01:20 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
just get an ebay intercooler. I'm sure it would hold up better then that one

90 Turbo GT
post #6 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Mine on monday. THe welder that fixed it said procharger only welds it halfway through the metal. Not the first time he has seen bad procharger welds
post #7 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM

I think how fast your bypass opens will also do this
post #8 of 27 Old 06-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Thats just pathetic...aren't those intercoolers around $1k new?

1992 2V Notch
S-Trim 14lbs
[email protected]
post #9 of 27 Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedi5775 View Post
I think how fast your bypass opens will also do this
i got a vortech mondo on there and the tubing to it as well as my ebc is very short and besides i'm not running 50#

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #10 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 PM

wow,
Thanks for the pics. I didn't buy a procharger intercooler because of the price, but now it looks like it I made the right choice. I wouldn't want one to fail on me.

post #11 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
Garage
I seen the same think happen on my friends intercooler.

1987 GT FOX [email protected] MT 275's DR
2010 GT500 [email protected] 20in NT555R
post #12 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 04:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Who else makes a good vertical flow intercooler?
post #13 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Procharger

I have seen this before. Its due to compressor surge. Everytime the throttle is shut, the intercooler is going to flex due to excess pressure. This flex will eventually wear out the welds from flexing back and forth. The race intercoolers now have supports welded on the inside of the tanks so anyone can run it now with a bypass thats too small without worry about breaking the intercooler.
post #14 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyrider564 View Post
Who else makes a good vertical flow intercooler?
www.treadstoneperformance.com

Treadstone uses nice thick cast aluminum end caps, not sheet metal like the
procharger ones. Should hold up much better.

post #15 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED4LIFE View Post
I have seen this before. Its due to compressor surge. Everytime the throttle is shut, the intercooler is going to flex due to excess pressure. This flex will eventually wear out the welds from flexing back and forth. The race intercoolers now have supports welded on the inside of the tanks so anyone can run it now with a bypass thats too small without worry about breaking the intercooler.
how is a mondo bypass tooo small?

and again i run 10# about 90% of the time and 15# the rest...

post #16 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
how is a mondo bypass tooo small?

and again i run 10# about 90% of the time and 15# the rest...
Aluminum is different than steel on flex fatigue.

You can bend aluminum within its strength range enough times
and it will still break. Steel doesn't do that.

This failure though was clearly poor weld penetration. You can clearly see
in the very first picture that the weld did not penetrate beyond the surface bead.

Last edited by r.barn; 06-16-2010 at 08:53 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

yes we have already established the weld problem r.barn and

i was asking BOOSTED4LIFE how exactly is a mondo bypass "too small" at 10#

post #18 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
Whats crazy is the ebay ones aren't doing that (yet). Might wanna try that.

www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats
post #19 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 PM

the intercooler is so big it has four mounting points across the bottom and on both sides of the cooler. is the cooler mounted to the frame? if it is then it could be flexing with the front end movements of the car and ripping the end tanks apart from the core

03 Mustang GT
Turbo 2v
post #20 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Breakage

I never said that your mondo was too small. I was speaking in general. What I have learned is no matter how fool proof a company makes a product, somone out there will screw it up. Wether if its a intercooler or bypass valve, doesnt matter. This could have stemmed from where your valve is located, how its hooked up, how the i/c is mounted, how bad the guy before you treated it, or just poor penetration on the welds. I am not saying anything about your ability, just that there are too many variables in something like this to start pointing fingers. Buy another i/c, make sure your valve is mounted before the i/c and be done with it.
post #21 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 02:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
A fully penetrated bead won't split at the edges of the two pieces of material like that. The weld will actually be stronger than the source materials being welded if done correctly. NO AMOUNT of pressure spike should cause this. My guess is internal inspection of the welds that are still intact will show very little penetration as well.

'91LX Vert- Stock Shortblock, Stock Cam, Cobra Intake, Edelbrock Performer 1.9's, 42#er's, PMAS 3", AOD, 3.27 gears, B&G 70mm Single, 3500lbs w/ me
Best 1/8- [email protected] with a 1.64 60'
Best 1/4- [email protected] with a 1.66 60'
Funniest 1/4- [email protected] LOL
post #22 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (61)
the e bay coolers are junk i had one 31x12x3 specs and a tail 50mm bov before the intercooler and for 2 years kept blowing pipes off my 408w d1 procharger got this procharger race intercooler now guess what work mint i like this intercooler no more blowing pipes off no more
post #23 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408wd1 View Post
the e bay coolers are junk i had one 31x12x3 specs and a tail 50mm bov before the intercooler and for 2 years kept blowing pipes off my 408w d1 procharger got this procharger race intercooler now guess what work mint i like this intercooler no more blowing pipes off no more
Myself and numerous others are running the ebay cooler with no problems yet. Hell my IATs are usually about 10-20 over ambient on the hottest days. I don't blow pipes off either.

www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats
post #24 of 27 Old 06-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
if the thing was destroyed by frontal vehicle impact, or ground up from vehicle bottoming out, then the user should be responsible. products that fail that are used within their design parameters should be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer period. this is a drop in the bucket for a manufacturer commanding thousands of dollars for said product. I understand procharger is hardcore, but it seems the only folks they "take care of" are the pros who routinely #### #### up. they are "in" with them and get preferential treatment. gotta remember though, take care of the the guys who have your stickers all over their winning cars, o.k. but manufacturers like procharger need to take care of their largest asset.....the freaking customer!!! support the customer and the customer will support you back. this guys pissed about a bunk intercooler, and others are chiming in about treadstone being better.... Procharger, you've already lost more than a replacement intercooler just from this thread. better believe it. I won't run another procharger item on my combo unless perhaps it's given to me. I ran an F1R and loved it. the products ARE good, but if the product fails, I want to know i'm taken care of! Even it's being used in a "racing environment" where there are no warantees, Procharger is hawking this product as a "race intercooler".. the only reason they can expect to command 3 times the amount for it than other "ebay" intercoolers that apparently work good as well. The best customer is the one that keeps coming back as his combo changes, this thread probably didn't win procharger any of those. later......

AARON
_______
post #25 of 27 Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 PM

lol I blew the other end tank this weekend, awesome
post #26 of 27 Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
The same exact thing just happened to me, to my Procharger race FMIC. It's an older IC -I got it 9 years ago, so it doesn't have the internal braces. I had no problems at 15 psi, but I just went up to 20 psi, and this happened.

I'm on the fence about fixing it or getting a new unit. Based on PK's input, I wont go with Procharger if I replace it.

T-trimmed black 99 GT
Terminator SB, 44cc TFS heads, HP292 cams,
RR intake, faceplated T56
20+ psi @ 7k, 10.327/136.14/1.417
post #27 of 27 Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnipples2002 View Post
Myself and numerous others are running the ebay cooler with no problems yet. Hell my IATs are usually about 10-20 over ambient on the hottest days. I don't blow pipes off either.
Same here, 4 inch thick ebay unit with 3 inch in and out. I put hairspray on the couplings before installing them and use quality t-bolt clamps. Only pipe that has ever blown off was at the throttle body and that was my fault.

I mounted mine with strap steel bent like a capital L on top and the bottom half is mounted on rubber.

BOSS 331, GT4276, High Ports, Manual Trans w/RXT twin disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement