Water shooting out the radiator when revving engine??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

Trader Feedback: (3)
Water shooting out the radiator when revving engine???

Hey guys, got a question, Why is my car shooting water about 2-3ft out of the radiator when revving the engine?? I just installed a set of stock heads and used my mls gaskets i had on the other heads (looked fine), havent driven the car yet just played alittle in front of the house. the tune was set up really rich as i have been working on bringing it down, but only with key-on position with my pms. Anyway, the car isnt running hot if the fan is on it stays around 170* may go up to 190* at the most while idling for 10-15mins at a time. it only does this when I rev it up past 4k??? and then it doesnt do all the time either? If the car is idling it never comes out of the radiator, you can see in the radiator that its circling through it. im starting to second geuss myself on installing the head gaskets correctly, small holes in front and large holes in rear. would this cause the same issues??? also the radiator hoses are getting really tight, i blew the bottom hose when I attempted a
2step launch lastnight lol. any insight is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Sounds like either a blockage or possibly water pump spining backwards if thats possible?

Stock block, GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 67mm, 10lbs, 431HP 497TQ on 110 octane. 12.01 @ 123
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Im just guessing on this but, you said you put on new heads and what not, did you put all the gaskets on correctly? Hopefully you didnt block any water passages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSZ03 View Post
pretty interesting...although I knew a guy whose son chewed through the backseat of his new Chevy Blazer on a vacation once....the guy asked the kid why, and the kid said he was just bored....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

Im gonna remove the belt tomm and try revving the motor without it and see what happens, my enitial thought is i installed the driverside head gasket on wrong (small holes in rear instead up front) would this cause this symtoms im seeing???? more insight please, i really dont want to pull those twin turbo headers again lol
post #5 of 25 Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Where are your in GA just courious? Sounds like a blown headgasket to me. Blew mine last weekend(15psi on 1011-2's with arp bolts). Mine had similar symptons and I tore it down tonight and passanger side was blown as hell.

95 GT-306, cnc Victor Jr's,R intake, GT4788,Glide,E85,28's
95 cobra-MM suspension, bolt ons, DD
post #6 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

im gonna pull it back down tomm, and look. I think i installed one of the gaskets backwards I hope. I used the pro comp mls head gaskets, looked real good no problems with them. i will try to post some pics at what I find tomm. Thanks guys-
ps im gonna run a few chks to see what i come up with prior to removing the heads.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

im also running arp head studs, torqued 85ftlb on top and 80ftlb on bottom. Is this the correct ftlb on stock heads with 30wt oil? , no arp moly to use.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (35)
Stock heads and stock shortblock plus MLS gaskets?? Why in the world.
MLS gaskets are real finicky, go get yourself some stockers and throw them on correctly.

Definitely sounds like a headgasket issue to me, what happened when you removed the belt?

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
post #9 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 AM

sounds normal to me if you got the radiator cap off and revving it to 4k...but why the #### woudl u do that?

Dart Blocked SBF, PT106mm, Callies Magnum Crank, Oliver billet rods. New top end package in the works
post #10 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

dont be an ass on this thread! if you have helpfull insight great, but if not dont reply!!
Because of mls head gaskets is what I had, and why not use them on stock heads??????? 1000s of people have! Why do people o-ring stock heads and blocks??? they keep a good seal under boost. Im running upwards of 12-15lbs guy. Im checking the belt theory in a bit. Why would I revv my engine to 4k with the cap off??? to see if the water is moving in the radiator effeicently. Geeeze
Its not a stock short block, its 60 over and has stage 2 cam holley lower with boxed upper, 42lb injectors, pmas meter, twin 57mm garrets, 75mm tb, anderson pms

Last edited by zombiestang; 06-10-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: g up
post #11 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiestang View Post
. Why would I revv my engine to 4k with the cap off??? to see if the water is moving in the radiator effeicently. Geeeze
oh yes how did i ever forget that you can check the efficiency of the radiator by reving the motor up.

Try this...fill up radiator, get rid of air pockets by letting it idle, put rad cap on then go DRIVE IT! If it overheats then you got a problem...Otherwise turn the boost up! (not really but you get the point)

Dart Blocked SBF, PT106mm, Callies Magnum Crank, Oliver billet rods. New top end package in the works
post #12 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Were the heads and the block properly prepared for the MLS gaskets?
I tried to use them on a newish long block that had been machined just for regular stuff. Everything looked smooth but they did not seal the water ports. That may be your problem. You should not have coolant flying out the radiator. It appears you are getting compression into the cooling system. Either by a mis install or that the mls gaskets do not have the fine enough surface to seal against.
ERich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #13 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

thanks slowstang, geuss you didnt read my post all the way??? I have let it run up to 15mins idling and it was fine, put the cap on and the temp was 170* , pulled into the street hit the 2step and the launched the car as as i was at the top of first gear the lower radiator hose burst!!! it was fairly new 2 months maybe. So I pulled the belt off and it did it again today, i have pulled the intake and there was milkshake inside, pulled the headers and heads the gaskets dont have any heat spots on them?? so im just gonna throw some felpros on and see where im at. im thinking the mls just didnt seal?? no biggie just another day turning wrenches. Slowstang - sometimes a smartass comment is the last thing a guy wants to hear when he is looking for helpful advice as to what could be wrong with something- No hard feelings and thanks for the helpful hint on your last post to the thread-
Thanks erich, the short block is the same , all i changed was the heads. the head surface was milled to get a fresh starting point for sealing. Hopefully the felpros will help if not who knows lol. never had this issue with the aluminum heads I just pulled off. oh well

Last edited by zombiestang; 06-10-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: g-up
post #14 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
dont be an ass on this thread! if you have helpfull insight great, but if not dont reply!!
Because of mls head gaskets is what I had, and why not use them on stock heads??????? 1000s of people have! Why do people o-ring stock heads and blocks??? they keep a good seal under boost. Im running upwards of 12-15lbs guy. Im checking the belt theory in a bit. Why would I revv my engine to 4k with the cap off??? to see if the water is moving in the radiator effeicently. Geeeze
Its not a stock short block, its 60 over and has stage 2 cam holley lower with boxed upper, 42lb injectors, pmas meter, twin 57mm garrets, 75mm tb, anderson pms
Simple, because they seal a little too well when installed correctly. You want the head gasket to be the weak point in the system for when something is wrong(tune, bad fuel, and so on). If you have too well of a sealing headgasket then you relocate the weak point to some where else and pretty sure that will ultimately be something a lot more costly to fix than a headgasket and resurfacing of heads.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
Simple, because they seal a little too well when installed correctly. You want the head gasket to be the weak point in the system for when something is wrong(tune, bad fuel, and so on). If you have too well of a sealing headgasket then you relocate the weak point to some where else and pretty sure that will ultimately be something a lot more costly to fix than a headgasket and resurfacing of heads.
Thats what I was getting at but if he wants to put MLS gaskets on stock junk let him, his next post will be "Why did I hole my pistons"

post #16 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
I have run MLS gaskets for years on my junk and never needed a head gasket "fuse". If you tune your stuff conservatively, correctly, and not on the edge, there is no reason for a "fuse". Running an inferior head gasket as a weak point on a boosted car, is only setting yourself up for an education in changing gaskets, but never learning how to tune your stuff safely. I couldn't disagree more with the idea of using a head gasket as a weak point. JMO
post #17 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Turbo Wizard

There are variables, especially in a street car, that a tune just can't always be safe enough to handle. MLS for what he describes is completely overkill. Plenty of other gaskets that will hold up to that combo and with a good tune but the difference is if something happens that gasket will blow over staying sealed and as Rich put it go melting at a piston. I have seen this happen, people with good tunes and running around for years with their overkill headgasket solution and then one day something out of their control happens that would normally blow a headgasket but no instead since that seals so great they end up with bigger and more expensive problems.

--Admiral Aaron

post #18 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJUSTLOST View Post
I have run MLS gaskets for years on my junk and never needed a head gasket "fuse". If you tune your stuff conservatively, correctly, and not on the edge, there is no reason for a "fuse". Running an inferior head gasket as a weak point on a boosted car, is only setting yourself up for an education in changing gaskets, but never learning how to tune your stuff safely. I couldn't disagree more with the idea of using a head gasket as a weak point. JMO
conservatively, correctly, and not on the edge? come on! why not just leave it stock?
Maybe were talking about a different parts combination. This thread is relative to stock stuff.
fuse or no fuse.. sh*t will happen that we cant prevent.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-13-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

good god rich take a chill pill pal, this motor combo is far from stock. the only thing on it is stock heads, which were just put on. Oh and the block lol but not everone can afford a rodknocker block like you run right?? I have never heard the head gaskets seal too good,,, yeah and I have too much money lol ,, no the piston wont have a hole in them! srp doesnt pop like stock rod knocker pistons lol. The tune is a very rich tune since the heads have been changed. I had to retune the pms to adjust the a/f to get it back up to low 14s at idle. but geuss what its running awesome now and thanks for any help I recieved from the replies-
post #20 of 25 Old 06-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
good god rich take a chill pill pal, this motor combo is far from stock. the only thing on it is stock heads, which were just put on. Oh and the block lol but not everone can afford a rodknocker block like you run right?? I have never heard the head gaskets seal too good,,, yeah and I have too much money lol ,, no the piston wont have a hole in them! srp doesnt pop like stock rod knocker pistons lol. The tune is a very rich tune since the heads have been changed. I had to retune the pms to adjust the a/f to get it back up to low 14s at idle. but geuss what its running awesome now and thanks for any help I recieved from the replies-
So let me get this straight, the gaskets wont pop and the pistons wont pop.. so under heavy detonation or a super lean condition... what will?

But why listen to everyone else, I mean you obviously know all about tunign and combos, just couldnt figure out why you are throwing coolant..

Good Luck man

post #21 of 25 Old 06-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
If you have a proper tune then why do you need mls gaskets? I mean I have ran upwards of 17psi with stock gaskets.

post #22 of 25 Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gill View Post
If you have a proper tune then why do you need mls gaskets? I mean I have ran upwards of 17psi with stock gaskets.
Because in my previous combos I have ran MUCH more than 17psi, which pressures would kill a stock head gasket. Give Tim Lynch your tune and stock head gaskets and show him how its done. I suppose its a waste to run a copper gasket too.
post #23 of 25 Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Because in my previous combos I have ran MUCH more than 17psi, which pressures would kill a stock head gasket. Give Tim Lynch your tune and stock head gaskets and show him how its done. I suppose its a waste to run a copper gasket too.
no no no, see now your talking big horsepower motors, the OP is talking about stock stuff... not even in the same league and should be handled differently.. Tim Lynch tears down his motor probably after every race, I doubt the OP is gonna do that.

post #24 of 25 Old 06-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gill View Post
no no no, see now your talking big horsepower motors, the OP is talking about stock stuff... not even in the same league and should be handled differently.. Tim Lynch tears down his motor probably after every race, I doubt the OP is gonna do that.
The only thing stock on the OP's engine is the heads, its on a built bottom end. See his post above.
post #25 of 25 Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned Alleged Scammer

been stating that in several post, lol no i dont tear my engine after every run, i dont make money with my car, i just have fun with it you know a hobby?? I have been doing this for 14yrs and have some knowlegde about this stuff, i know what your gonna say next ketboard hero, why cant you diagnose a leaking headgasket??? well thats what this forum is for, asking to see if anyone else has had simuliar experiences, afterall who wants to tear the heads off the car if they dont have too?? as you can tell by the responses there could have been several culprits to this issue. water pump, thermostat, head gaskets, radiator, blockage in the cooling system. But you have a 10sec mustang and think your the shizzzz, dude get over yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement