New Turbo intake manifold for the 2v 4.6 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
New Turbo intake manifold for the 2v 4.6

Here is a sneak peak of the New Tork Tech intake manifold coming out for the 4.6 2v. We have been working with Tork Tech over the last few months helping on design. The new castings are in and we hope to start testing in the next few weeks.

Notice the intake has the intercooler core inside the intake manifold. This is a liquid core and will flow over 700whp worth of air. Turbo kits will no longer need a mile of piping routed around and through the front end of the car. One pipe from the turbo outlet to the throttle body is all that will be needed.

With the intercooler being close to the intake valve the air charge will be very efficient and cool as it enters the combustion chamber.

The test car we will be using is a 2000 Mustang Gt making 500 whp now @ 13 psi with a 67mm turbo on it. The 67mm is being replaced by a 76mm and will be redynoed before making any other changes. Once we have our base line the new TT intake will be installed and the testing will be under way.

If you interested in the intake feel free to pm me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

231-830-5102
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
That is a sick design would def would make piping alot easier but wouldnt the air intake sensor be giving off false data because the air would obviously be alot colder....just kinda woundering would they all have to run like speed density tuning or what loving the design though

1999 Mustang Cobra
On your own performance (on3) turbo kit TC78, Diamond pistons, Manley h beam rods, Forged Crank Kurgan tuned 580hp 605 tq on 76mm, 01 cobra heads, Built Th400 trans, Straight axle
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo99svt View Post
That is a sick design would def would make piping alot easier but wouldnt the air intake sensor be giving off false data because the air would obviously be alot colder....just kinda woundering would they all have to run like speed density tuning or what loving the design though
The Turbo kit on the test car has the air temp sensor in the air filter as per the instructions.

We can put it in the intake if need be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

231-830-5102
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM

Will you guys be dynoing with ice ? Curious to see the AIT's like that surrounded by that much heat. I actually just ditched this design in favor of a front mount.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
sweet intake setup, it looks like the bottom half of a innercooled Kennebell intake. if so it will work. i like fluid cooled allot more than air to air. this intake with an afco cooler and dual fans will be off the hook. if aircraft mainly use fluid heat exchangers to lower temps then i think this intake will surely do the job.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-10-2010, 12:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
The problem the Cobra guys are having is the intercooler core acts like a giant heatsink. Soaking all the heat up from being down in the valley in between the cylinder banks...some of them have ditched the intercooler and run meth injection. Picked up boost and got colder ACT's. Even with fans on dual pass afco heat exchanger's they are still having troubles getting the ACT's down. The only ones having any luck are the ones running the ice boxes or the Killer Chiller systems that use your A/C system to chill the water.

1992 2V Notch
S-Trim 14lbs
[email protected]
post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ryan View Post
The problem the Cobra guys are having is the intercooler core acts like a giant heatsink. Soaking all the heat up from being down in the valley in between the cylinder banks...some of them have ditched the intercooler and run meth injection. Picked up boost and got colder ACT's. Even with fans on dual pass afco heat exchanger's they are still having troubles getting the ACT's down. The only ones having any luck are the ones running the ice boxes or the Killer Chiller systems that use your A/C system to chill the water.
Agreed. The front mount for mine will be A/W, but no heat exchanger. I know it's possible. But hoping that because I can't get cold air in this car, it won't need the exchanger. But with ice expect AIT's in the 50's depending on voltage to the pump. (not knocking your #### Dan, just discussing theories.)
post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ryan View Post
My KB GT was like this, every 03 Cobra & Lightning I know around here is like this. Once it gets heat soaked, you are fugged. Great for glory runs on the dyno, or even the drag strip, but without using ice, and with driving on the street the air/water setups suck.

I wonder how it would do without actually having the turbo sitting on top of the intercooler, like the eatons/whipples/kb's do? Should help with temps, then again, turbos put out some hot air, whether they are sitting on top or not.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (13)
Hope everything works out on this for you Dan, hopefully we will be able to offer this as an upgrade.

I think if the top portion is designed to fit the 03/04 cobras to ditch the s/c, our 4v systems should work on them with just a change of the charge pipe. Should be interesting nonetheless and hope it all works out well
post #10 of 10 Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

It's great to see everyone taking an intrest in our intercooler intake system.

We have taken note of the concerns that everyone has from the 03 04 Cobra and Lightning style intake/intercooler and will make sure those issues are addressed.

The intercooler system will have an option to run ice water through it for track days.

Thanks On3.....
I should have some more pics for you next week.

231-830-5102
Sponsored Links
Advertisement