How important is turbo technology to you? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
How important is turbo technology to you?

What is most important to you?

Does your turbo need to be billet, ball bearing.......?

Does the price make the difference?

What is it you are looking for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

231-830-5102
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

What is it you are looking for?

Ball bearing performance in a journal bearing turbo with the quality
of a Precision Turbo at the cost of a Chinese knock off but still made in the USA

you asked .............

Personally on a V8 I dont think turbo dynamics are as big of a deal
as they are on a say a high revving 4cyl, just cause the V8 has the
grunt and torque to gloss over any turbo imperfections.

A simple but solid journal bearing Garrett seemed to be more than enough,
past that its just fluff, until you start making really big hp numbers.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
For a street car, turbo technology means very little outside of spool speed and little drive-ability issues. In a competitive racing environment, like any of the heads up classes out there, all of the above are important. Turbo technology is what keeps the winners in the winners circle. High flow billet wheels, custom housings, bearings, and even specialized coatings will all increase performance in a heads up class racing environment. On the street, no one will know the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I wish I could find some reasonably priced Garett T3 0.60/0.63

For me the technology is interesting but pretty primative turbos will make a 5.0 really go. Made in USA is important to me for any major purchase.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #5 of 15 Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
A quality kit and quality customer service like Hellion Power Systems, but not rediculously overpriced with the reasoning being "made in America."

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #6 of 15 Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingus View Post
A quality kit and quality customer service like Hellion Power Systems, but not rediculously overpriced with the reasoning being "made in America."
Roger that brother.

It is hard to find a company that is perfect. You can find a badass turbo but price or customer service does seem to be the issue in most cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

231-830-5102
post #7 of 15 Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.barn View Post
Ball bearing performance in a journal bearing turbo with the quality
of a Precision Turbo at the cost of a Chinese knock off but still made in the USA
x eleventy billion

www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats
post #8 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingus View Post
I love the word overpriced. Let me know when you find a welder that can weld with quality to your liking, and work for 2 dollars an hour. Tell Osha where to stick it, the workers can buy their own safety equipment. Tell all the landlords in America to lower their rent. If you want cheap parts, buy a cheap kit. Something I will never understand about this industry is why when someone makes enough to dump 25k in a car, why the people providing those parts, can't earn the same living. You live in the same city. Stop by anytime and I will show you why good stuff costs what it costs.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secgoal View Post
I love the word overpriced. Let me know when you find a welder that can weld with quality to your liking, and work for 2 dollars an hour. Tell Osha where to stick it, the workers can buy their own safety equipment. Tell all the landlords in America to lower their rent. If you want cheap parts, buy a cheap kit. Something I will never understand about this industry is why when someone makes enough to dump 25k in a car, why the people providing those parts, can't earn the same living. You live in the same city. Stop by anytime and I will show you why good stuff costs what it costs.
Hey what shop do you have?

231-830-5102
post #10 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secgoal View Post
Who are you, and where's your shop? PM me if you'd like...

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #11 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Ah, you've never heard of me

Now what would everyone think of a person who wanted a Lamborghini for the cost of a Ford Focus ? It does the exact same thing as the Lambo right. It starts, and it drives, probably has A/C. So why does the other cost more ? But I want the Lambo, but I only want to pay what a Focus costs because the Lambo is overpriced. Or is this just me that sees it this way ? Probably.

Hell yeah we want the best for the cheapest. But that's pretty damn rare. Something that works and is better in more than one area that costs more, being called "ridiculously overpriced " is truly beyond me. ESPECIALLY coming from the public side who hasn't the foggiest how much attention to detail is take to make a kit that fits. The hours of R&D, money and hours to make jigs and fixtures, tooling, tools to only be used to make said product, etc. How do you pay for all that ? The employees, their taxes, their unemployment insurance, their workmans comp,soon to be their health care,too, your insurance, your building, GOD forbid earn a living ? People for some reason think the 75-100 bucks and hr you have to charge, goes right in your pocket. Hell if that was the case, I would have retired after 2 years.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 PM

I understand what you're saying, but you can't tell me that the founders of Hellion are just "gettin by" on what they charge for a kit. I'd bet money they're much better off than the common man, and that's because their prices are so high. I'm not saying that hard work doesn't require compensation, but I just wonder why turbo systems are so much more expensive than superchargers. I understand that there's more piping involved, but enough to double the average price of a kit? PLUS, once all the R&D is done and the kits are proven, why does the price still have to stay six grand? They've got all the info punched into a computer, and machines doing most of the fabricating at that point. All their piping is made at bassani right? It's like to coronado bridge, we were paying a toll to cross that thing many years after it's construction was paid for.....

97 GT/03 Cobra
post #13 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
hellion needs to pay for their huge semi-race trailer i saw in atco nj last month.i guess theres lots of overhead to be the best. plus materials only get more expensive.

89 gt turbo- R.I.P - f#@K TURBO GOING OLD SCHOOL CARB AND NITROUS...... BUILD IN THE WORKS.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 PM

I'm sure the owners of Lamborghini aren't hurting either. But that's the nice part about busting your ass for years, just to make what ever one else does ? I'm not going to do it. If I wanted to make 18-25 bucks an hour, I would work for someone else, ONLY work 40 hours a week, go home and not have to worry about anything else until I clocked in the next day. Nobody puts up with the headache for meager earnings. Haven't a clue what they make, or on a kit. But when it become successful should they drop there prices ? When you work at a company for X amount of years, do you take a pay cut or a raise ? Sure his guys are the same way. Companies take lots of money to keep alive. I will tell you my rent alone, just the rent is 3500 a month. I have to profit 3500, which means I need to make probably 8k, to see that much profit. Just to pay rent. Not to mention everything else I mentioned before. If you don't want to buy it just because you think he's making more don't. But remember I said whatever he makes, doesn't go in his or any business owners pocket. If you get 30% if "profit", your doing GREAT.

Once it's in the machine, that's the easy part. The room for human error after that is the problem. The tubing is the cheapest part of the kit for sure. It's the labor to put it together that's costs the money. Turbo kits will always be more than blowers for that reason, unless CNC coolant becomes 100k a gallon. But that's the advantage with maching. One guy can run more than one machine at a time.So essentially you have one guy building parts for multiple blowers at a time. I guarantee you blowers companies make WAY more per hour than turbo companies. Look at some of the job openings for them. I can't, nor will I ever be able to offer benefits like they do. Think about why that is. Comparing turbo company cost to blowers is like comparing casting cost vs billet. Next time you compare, try one of the BIG blowers to a turbo kit. Then see where the value is.

Think about the bridge like you owned it. You put out the billions to put it up. You finally after 15 years get your money back. Would you stop charging a toll just because it was paid off ? Nope, time to make your money.

Point is, although more expensive, the mark up, profit % is not close to the same. If it was, turbo companies wouldn't go under all the time. There is a small margin for error. If you don't have your #### together, it doesn't take much to put you under, as we've seen time and time again. Blowers are the way to go if you own a business honestly. MUCH less labor intensive, less customer calls with install problems/questions, less time ($) for the customers who can't install themselves,etc. Their setup and up front is much more. But once they are setup, whamo.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellam View Post
hellion needs to pay for their huge semi-race trailer i saw in atco nj last month.i guess theres lots of overhead to be the best. plus materials only get more expensive.
Would it make you guys feel better if we stayed at home in a shack and could only afford beans and rice ? Would that make it easier to justify spending the money on your toy, that you took to the track where you saw him. A luxury other people don't have ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement