Boost questions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
Boost questions

so i do believe that my 2001 mustang cobra does not have a map sensor so how does that all work with it getting positive psi instead of a vaccuum and will my fuel pressure regulator on the rail be ok getting pos psi or do they cap it off and just tune it for always wide open. Trying to learn more about how this stuff works. not just bolt it together and go

1999 Mustang Cobra
On your own performance (on3) turbo kit TC78, Diamond pistons, Manley h beam rods, Forged Crank Kurgan tuned 580hp 605 tq on 76mm, 01 cobra heads, Built Th400 trans, Straight axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Typically you leave the fp reg hooked up. Some are setup to add more fuel P under boost. No MAP sensor. You do want to make sure boost does not get into the crankcase tho. Make sure there is no vent from the valve covers going to an inlet pipe that is after the turbos. NA, that is fine but under boost, you will pressurize your crankcase and blow oil everywhere-including from your turbo (blows right up the drain from the oil pan and out the seals)
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #3 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

ya what I am basically asking is... with that electronic/vaccuum fuel pressure reg does it sense the boost and vaccuum and will the fuel pressure reg be able to handle the boost knowing that it is designed for vaccuum only

1999 Mustang Cobra
On your own performance (on3) turbo kit TC78, Diamond pistons, Manley h beam rods, Forged Crank Kurgan tuned 580hp 605 tq on 76mm, 01 cobra heads, Built Th400 trans, Straight axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

So for anyone else woundering this same thing i did a lil research and the fuel pressure reg works, it actually senses the difference between the intake and pressure and fuel rail. So i do belive that there is no need to worry about this, as long as the pressure reg can take a pound or so coming from the intake through the lil hose that comes for vaccuum and boost...still have to run a vaccuum canister for the hvac

1999 Mustang Cobra
post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
you need a FPR that will raise one psi per psi of boost. You need to raise fuel pressure by the same amount of boost you have to compensate, your trying to keep the differential pressure the same all the time. Your stock FPR should be fine AFAIK, the foxs had boost sensitive regulators stock, so i am sure a newer one does too.

Theres no MAP on your car, your MAF reads airflow as a mass, boosted air is more dense/more massive, your MAF simply reads more mass coming in, only thing you need to make sure is your MAF's airflow range is enough for what you combo will move. If you "peg" the meter, your engine wont know more air is coming in and will cause a lean condition.

Brett
91 GT 302 CID c4 w/brake
TFS TW heads, f-cam, typhoon
70mm masterpower single turbo setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement