1 Chamber Flowmaster & Turbo? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ffdbrooks's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 110
1 Chamber Flowmaster & Turbo?

Just curious if anyone has ran a single 1 chamber flowmaster with a turbo set up and if so how did it sound. Would this be a good muffler for a street/strip car?
Thanks

ffdbrooks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Registered User
 
Radrick50's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (60)
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Altoona, PA, USA
Posts: 1,768
I ran 9.90s with 2-chamber flows and a turbo...I don't see why 1-chambers wouldn't work...With that said, I picked up 3 tenths and 4 mph by switching to Ultra-flo's, but the Flow's will get the job done.

Radrick50 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ffdbrooks's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 110
I am a big fan of Flowmasters and the way they sound on a N/A car. Just curious how they would sound with a turbo. I currently have 2 chambers but I will be putting a turbo on shortly. What was your set up when you ran 9.90s and do you have some pictures? Was this in a Fox or SN95?
ffdbrooks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Registered User
 
millhouse's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdbrooks View Post
I am a big fan of Flowmasters and the way they sound on a N/A car. Just curious how they would sound with a turbo. I currently have 2 chambers but I will be putting a turbo on shortly. What was your set up when you ran 9.90s and do you have some pictures? Was this in a Fox or SN95?
The 2 chambers literally mad mine sound stock. You will sacrifice some serious horsepower and decreased turbo spool (lag) by running them however...even on a mild combo.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
millhouse is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ffdbrooks's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 110
Yeah, I have heard that the turbo will act like a muffler. I think the 1 chamber will sound pretty good. Thanks for the input everyone.
ffdbrooks is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Registered User
 
MY 93 GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,977
Off topic kinda does anyone know if you can use the Pypes exhaust is that a straight thru design muffler?..I love flows i dont want to sacrfice HP to...LOL...

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
MY 93 GT is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered User
 
red89coupe's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (31)
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdbrooks View Post
Yeah, I have heard that the turbo will act like a muffler.
NOT a very good one I assure ya !! lol I run a open downpipe. It dosent sound like a stock motor and open headers but its still louder then I like it

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
red89coupe is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Omaha,NE
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY 93 GT View Post
Off topic kinda does anyone know if you can use the Pypes exhaust is that a straight thru design muffler?..I love flows i dont want to sacrfice HP to...LOL...
I switched from 2-chamber Flows to Pypes straight through for the same reason. The Pypes mufflers were the cheapest straight though design out there, cost no more if not cheaper than the Flowmasters did. They acually made the car quieter at idle for sure, cruise is about the same tone, but I dont get that drone that the Flowmasters got around 2500 rpms. Very happy.

Don't get me wrong I love the sound of Flow on a N/A car. They also sounded great on the turbo, with a slight bubbling sound coming from the turbo. I just wanted to get every little once of power out I could.

88lx Conv. 200K mile stock longblock. Trickflow intake, 42lb inj, Pmas protube,TKO500, 3:27, pypes muffs, Pa Racing tubluar K-member, DIY single turbo setup. Summit aluminum rad, Crane Hi-fire ign, subfames, 17" sc saleen's, Saleen ground effects, SCT tune by Dynosport. 380HP 435ftbs.
71swing is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered User
 
MY 93 GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swing View Post
I switched from 2-chamber Flows to Pypes straight through for the same reason. The Pypes mufflers were the cheapest straight though design out there, cost no more if not cheaper than the Flowmasters did. They acually made the car quieter at idle for sure, cruise is about the same tone, but I dont get that drone that the Flowmasters got around 2500 rpms. Very happy.

Don't get me wrong I love the sound of Flow on a N/A car. They also sounded great on the turbo, with a slight bubbling sound coming from the turbo. I just wanted to get every little once of power out I could.
Thanks for the info thats the muffler i guess im going to use...a cat back Pypes violator...Thanks again...

Turbo installed!!!!
87 GT Vert.On3 turbo making 14 psi,Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,AOD,Lentech VB,electric OD 3000 stall.3.55's
MY 93 GT is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Turbo Wizard
 
snipe656's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
Posts: 4,289
1 Chamber Flowmaster & Turbo?

Long time we ran the one chambered flos for big block cars. It sounded pretty good but not your typical flowmaster sound at all. Ran some three chambers on the same car and when it had those it was quieter than stock, actually liked that a good bit.


--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snipe656 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered User
 
97GT FREAK's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Altoona, Pa USA
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrick50 View Post
I ran 9.90s with 2-chamber flows and a turbo...I don't see why 1-chambers wouldn't work...With that said, I picked up 3 tenths and 4 mph by switching to Ultra-flo's, but the Flow's will get the job done.

How fast did it go after you put the cherry bomb on it?

-gt40mkII's sig pretty much sums up working in a union shop- "People who do things badly are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well." -Journal of Personality and Social Psychology-

1998 Cobra MPT76 @ 16PSI
97GT FREAK is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Registered User
 
Radrick50's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (60)
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Altoona, PA, USA
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GT FREAK View Post
How fast did it go after you put the cherry bomb on it?
Ahahaha!! Shhhhh! That was supposed to be a secret...
Radrick50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS - BBK 1 3/4 longtubes & Flowmaster 3inch D-chamber w/3 inch Super 40s! qikazz Exhaust Parts 8 04-29-2006 01:37 PM
2 Chamber Flowmaster & More FS swc Exhaust Parts 4 05-10-2005 04:00 PM
Brand New Pair of Flowmaster 2 chamber 2 1/4" Flowmaster Mufflers highhorseb Exhaust Parts 5 07-20-2004 02:45 PM
Length of Flowmaster 2 chamber vs. 3 chamber Blown85GT General Mustang Tech 2 06-14-2003 01:38 AM
What sounds best, Flowmaster 2 chamber or 1 chamber? frank97gt GT & SOHC 3 09-29-2002 02:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome