S/C or Turbo guys help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-27-2001, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Question S/C or Turbo guys help...question

I have an Incon Twin Turbo set-up and I'm looking to build a stroker (331 or 347) using CHP/Probe Street Fighter flat top pistons topped with AFR 185 heads (64cc's) and was wondering if you guys thought these pistons would yeild too much compression for the 8 to 10 psi charge I may have. Thanks for all help in advance!

88 Saleen Conv. #368
78 Fairmont Wagon
02 ZX3 Turbo Focus
93 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-28-2001, 05:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Why are you building a stroker motor? Is this going to be a car limited to the track? If it is street driven car just stick to a 302. You will make tons and tons of power. You can easily go to the 500rwhp and 600 ft/lbs threshold without the additional stroke.
Another question, are you putting this stroker in a factory roller block? Again, I wouldn't want to do this because you can make more than enough power with 302 to comprimise the block. With a stroker you just increase the chances of braking something because of sidewall loading.
As far as the compression goes do you know what kind of compression the CHP kit will make with a 64cc head? I would think 10-10.5:1 I would guess this would limit you to less than 6psi.
My recomendation would be just to stick with a 302-306 motor. If you want to stroke it go with a A4 317 long rod with 8.5:1 compression, TFS heads and TFS R intake. If you went with this combo plus 10psi you would make 550rwhp very easily, on pump gas. With the low 8.5:1 compression and long rod config. you could go up as high as 14-15psi on pump gas. This would net into the low 600rwhp range.
Just my opinion.
If you have not already done so join [email protected]. You will learn plenty.

post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2001, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Why a stroker?...WHY NOT?

Why a stroker? Well for one, the extra cubic inches couldn't hurt and two, I could beef up a stock 302 but for pretty much the same money, I could have more cubic inches; seems like a no brainer to me.

The reason I ask about compression is that I already have a 9 lb. Powerdyne set-up pumping into basically a stock 5.0 w/GT40 heads and was wondering how much different these flat top stroker pistons would be over the stock 5.0 pistons. What cc volume is a GT40 head anyway, maybe 61cc's? I don't have to go with a flat top piston but found a pretty good deal on a complete set-up. It will be going into a street car with limited track use, and yes, probably a stock block w/a girdle.

88 Saleen Conv. #368
78 Fairmont Wagon
02 ZX3 Turbo Focus
93 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-28-2001, 02:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Josh gave you good advise based upon first hand experience. basically it comes down to the fact that the 302 has better arcitecture for forced induction because it doesnt comprimise piston integrity and has a better rod/stroke ratio (less cylinder wall side load). if you do this i'd recommend a sportsman block, steel crank and good rods. but that wont be as reliable as a smaller stroker or a 3" stroke motor. when going for more cubes on a 302, the limiting factor is the 8.2" deck height block, above a 3" stroke you have to start making compramises, and the bigger you go the more compramises you have to make. it comes down to this, are you going to listen to the engine builder who is trying to sell you something, or the people that have tried it, learned the hard way, and will not benifit from you doing one or the other. have a nice day.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2001, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Good advice guys!!!

Thanks Josh & Clement. I will slow down a bit and do more research before I jump into this. Those were excellent points and made me re-think my plans a bit. Josh, I have been on the Incon message board before and I think I'll take your advise, hang out there for a while and soak up all I can from what you guys have learned along the way.

Thanks,

BlownSkillet

88 Saleen Conv. #368
78 Fairmont Wagon
02 ZX3 Turbo Focus
93 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement