Do you have an O-ringed block? come on in - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Do you have an O-ringed block? come on in

my new motor build is currently in an O-ringed block and im trying to decide what head gaskets to run i have got many diffrent opinions from local shops but im trying to see whats working for people out there currently running O-ringed blocks. I've hears to leave the wire in use a copper gaskets with lots of RTV,or to just leave the groove in the block pull out the wire and run a cometic.i dont want anything im gonna have rip back apart for leaks so im trying to stay away from copper and really dont want to get my heads machined with a receiver groove but i heard thats an option you dont have to with an Oringed block

9.5:1 333 ci Boss block
Dart Pro 1 heads
Precision PT70 16-18 Psi

95 Mustang-Let's just say it's a stock 302 with some bolt on's who really needs all the details
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"racing from a roll is like masturbation, its good but it's just not the real thing."

Last edited by 95stangsvt; 09-09-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
O-ringed block here. I did it myself.

I *think* if you run copper gaskets with an o-ringed block you will need a receiver groove in the heads.

I run o-ringed block with stainless wire and use regular old felpro gaskets #8548 pt-2 (about $30 for em). My o-ring is directly on the fire ring and is crushed up into it when the heads are bolted down.

Since o-ringed I haven't had any problems. Some say it's old school, but it WORKS.

post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra2615 View Post
O-ringed block here. I did it myself.

I *think* if you run copper gaskets with an o-ringed block you will need a receiver groove in the heads.

I run o-ringed block with stainless wire and use regular old felpro gaskets #8548 pt-2 (about $30 for em). My o-ring is directly on the fire ring and is crushed up into it when the heads are bolted down.

Since o-ringed I haven't had any problems. Some say it's old school, but it WORKS.
i was thinking that too just leave the wire in and use like a MLS headgasket or cometic thats thick enough so the Oring dont cut all the way through the gasket just enough to bite into it when torqued...i really dont want to O-ring my new heads to use copper gaskets plus copper gaskets leak to much no matter how much RTV you use and you always have to retorque them

95 Mustang-Let's just say it's a stock 302 with some bolt on's who really needs all the details
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"racing from a roll is like masturbation, its good but it's just not the real thing."

Last edited by 95stangsvt; 09-10-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
The felpro gaskets i use are just graphite.

You'll need to measure how high the o-rings are above the deck surface. That'll probably determine what gasket you use.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2009, 01:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
I run an o-ringed block. It's all about who did the work and where they cut the groove. I had mine setup to run 1011-2 felpro gaskets. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the cooper head gaskets for street use. I have seen too many of them that seap. As stated above, just checkand make sure the o-ring is crushing the fire ring on the gasket.

93 Lightning t-trim @15psi a/a intercooled,Windsor sr heads, tfsr intake, 75mm tb,full fuel sys 72lb, Fast xfi, be trans controller,built E4OD 2800 stall,1-3/4 longtubes 3" exhuast Auburn pro 87 Lx coupe (in progress) 393 stroker coated pistons/bearings built 4r70w. Rusertmachine.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement