REAR TURBO 96 cobra,(help,suggetions?) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 09-06-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
REAR TURBO 96 cobra,(help,suggetions?)

Hey guys,
Ive been building a rear mount turbo cobra for a couple months now,And i got the hole kit on fab'd up, all the cold side hooked up, and the turbo hooked up.

here's some pics: http://www.stangtuning.com/album.php?albumid=25

well, I got the car running, had some issue with IDLE/MIDRANGE i had to clock' the (C&L 80MM stock cal) to the outisde of the 45* coupling that connects it to the cold side and change some settings in the PMS, and it seem'd to solve the problem.
BUT, i wanna know if i hook'd up my wastegate and bov ok? this is what it looks like, I ran the BOV line, and the Wastegate side port line to the same T'
whic then from the T' runs to the on intake tube nipple/port (were the valve cover breather went into).
heres a diagram:

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...=REARTURBO.jpg

Is this ok? will it work like that? i know the BOV has to be before the T/B.
but the wastegate to?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Why do you say the BOV needs to be referenced in front of the throttle body? I believe it needs to be from the manifold (behind the throttle body) so it can open as soon as the throttle body closes. The wastegate needs to be refernced from in front of the throttle body. My wastegate is referenced off the boost reference port on my turbo compressor housing and my BOV is refernced off of my manifold.

Hope this helps!

Jason

post #3 of 26 Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

well thats what the tial instructions told me, but im gonna agree with you, after i took it for a ride yesturday and found i have some problems.
like you said the BOV has to have a constant supply of vaccum, were i have it, the throttle body will stop it from gettin anything when its closed.
also i dont think my wastegate is working either,
i took it for a ride, and it spits' sputter bad midrange, and the more i throttle it the worse it gets, the turbos spoolin away, but the engine die's out.

also this is the way some guys recomended for a rear mount, but i think there wrong. i had someone put there hand by the wastegate, and i rev'd it up and they said it never opened, so i m gonna hook' it up to the port on the compressor housing like you said. Idk why i listem to people, the way i have it now, its probaly gettin max boost. Cuz if that W/G open'd i think id hear the strait exhaust coming out of it since its on the X- pipe.

and i tried changing timing and fuel in my pms, and it didnt make a dif'. so its gotta be a boost problem, get'n wayyyy to much boost and killin the engine. It dosent sound like detonation, just a missfire, and bog's out. Cuz i heard the thing spoool up real good, and when i let off i heard compressor surge, so neither the BOV or w/g is working i think. Cuz if its dumoin 25psi into that engine at around 3000k rpms, i'd imagina this is exactly what it would do, so much air it just stalls out the engine.

IDk why i listen to honda people, they swore it works on there cars, but i guess it wont work on a cobra.
I'm gonnna hook the bov to the manifold, and the wastegate to the compressor.
They way i have it hook'd up now, like the diagram i showed is gotta be the reason im having problems. and my wideband never moves off of 14.1 so i know thats not rite i think thats broke it has been in 4 cars, and my boost gauge hooked up to the manifold, is junk to, it never leaves vaccum, and i know im makin boost.

you think the way i have it hooked up now would cause these problems?,

I noticed that a lil' oil is coming out of the turbo and it is smokin a lil' from burnin the oil, i think the seals are a lil' worn. i got the turbo used, but it was just rebuilt, and theres no shaft play, so maybe i gotta slow the flow goin down to it, from the engine so the scavenge pump can keep up. but i dont think a lil; oil would cause that bad of missfire/detonation issue, to were it gets dead missfire's and dies out, would it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 AM

Yes, having it hooked up the way you do could cause a variety of problems including those you are experiencing.

The compressor surge is definitely because of the BOV. Its either too small, or more likely not opening because it doesn't see enough vaccum.

Go ahead and connect a separate line from the wastegate to the compressor. Most wastegates have two ports for a boost/vaccum reference line. It will need to go to the bottom port. The top port is used for a boost controller. BTW, what PSI spring is in your wastegate?

If you are actually making alot of boost by 3k rpms, then it may be blowing out the spark. Is it possible there is a leak in the discharge tube between the turbo and the manifold somewhere? Also, I've had a ton of drivability problems with a blow through MAF on these Cobras including similar midrange problems like you describe. Of course my experience with that is many years ago, so maybe they have some better technology out now. I spent weeks working with PRO-M trying to get one to work 100% of the time. Finally I gave up and went to draw through and everything worked great. So I'm not saying thats your problem, just another possibility.

The turbo could be leaking oil due to bad seals, or it could have too much oil pressure going to it. (which could also damage the seals) I had to back my pressure off using a regulator because it was blowing past my seals.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-09-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

yea, i know the ports on the wastegate, and what they do, i got a MBC coming next week. Rite now i got around and 8psi spring,
since its a rear mount setup, i ran and 8lb'r, if it was a regular setup i would have ran a 6-7lb'r.
And as for the MAF, im not actually using a blow thru, i'm using and 80mm C&L, calibrated for stock injectors, cuz i'm running stock injectors, i had some problems in the beginning, and all i had to do was clock' the MAF to the outside of the 45* silicone coupling that connects the MAF- thru the fender well, to the pipping. And it ran fine. But it still could be causing problems.

Like you said, i'm gonna connect a seperate line from the side port of the w/g, to the compressor, except, the T70 dosent have a nipple/port, to conect the line to. so I gotta drill and tap it, do you know what size it is? You can see were it's suppose to go, my turbo looks like this,

But i need to put the port in like this,obviously,
i was gonna drill and tap it for 1/4 npt fitting, same size used on aircompressor stuff, but its a lil' to big. You know what size it is?
post #6 of 26 Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Mine looks like its 1/8 inch NPT
post #7 of 26 Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
most race cars dont even have BOV's so just get rid of it and u wont hurt anything. Im not putting the tial on my new setup.

Dart Blocked SBF, PT106mm, Callies Magnum Crank, Oliver billet rods. New top end package in the works
post #8 of 26 Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Are you using this for race only? Cause if he plans on daily driving this or running it on the street i would definitely use the BOV or the compressor surge will kill your turbo eventually. Keeping the boost up is nice but if it needs some streetability / reliability i wouldn't purposely damage my turbo.
post #9 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Heres a lil game plan for me so you got and idea what im goin for,
im street guy wanna get into driftin, done some autocross, I'm not plannin on runnin 9's at the track. im a road runner, so im goin for all suspension work,(most of the parts sitting in my basement gettin rusty cuz im to busy cuttin trees for a livin till winter comes) and i dont really plan on buildin over
500hp, I just need something in that area for the power/weight ratio so i can get into a class in autocross & driftin. so yea i kinda need the BOV for the response, and quick gear change. plus i got a cheapo turbo for now, that id like to make last till i finish the suspension work next summer.

I'll have all the lines to the wastegate & BOv re-done by tomarrow for a test drive.
I drilled and tapp'd the compressor for a barb/nipple to feed the side port of the wastegate today, and i really thin kthat was the problem, i had it on the intake, like someone told me to do, but when i rev'd it up to 3k rpm, the w/g wasnt opening, cuz i would have heard it for sure, plus i had someone put there hand there, and got nothin comin out.
Like jasont said, and i was thinking, the turbo was prolly gettin full boost to the motor, 25psi, and blowin out the spark, or just chokin the engine out when i floor'd it.
As for the blow off valve, its a imitation tial, off of my buddys supra, that worked fine. i just had the line hook'd up wrong.

so tomaroow i will find out.

Is this normal wear? for a turbo shaft/?

it dosent feel like anything is there, it just looks bad, i was having and oil problem, but it was way to bad to have to do with this lil' scoring on the shaft, its because my scavenge pump isnt keepin up with the supply from the engine. What can i ust to regulate the oil pressur to the turbo, beside one of thos lil' restrictor adapters, something adjustable? so i can match it with the scavenge pump.

Here is my wastegaet position, and as i said, i def' woulda heard it if it open'd. this is my old line hookup, now im gonna run some real air compressor house i got from lowes for only 00.30$ cents a foot, and its the thickest i have ever seen! its orange and rated to 50psi i think, go to lowes if you need some!, i dont have to worry about this collapse'n like i think the original rubber hose was. now its hooked up right, from the side prot of the w/g rite to the compressor nipple i put in.
(original hookup, i know my car is disgusting underneath, havent touched it in 2 years tho)

I really appreciate you guys answering me, with your knowledge and opinions, thanks much!!! I'm so glad i join'd these forums, im tired of being fed bull#### by the honda kid down the street, there mouths are as loud as there mufflers, and cars as slow as their brains! lmao, but they seem to know everything.

so tomarrow i will find out if this solve's the problem, i think it will, if not its gotta be the MAF, i know i should just get a blow thru P-MAS anyway, wich i will when i get the 42lb'r injectors, but i think the C&L should work for now, i had to clock it, it atleast runs.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

first ride/VIDEO, HELP!

well i took it for a test drive, this is what i got, got it runnin pretty well, the best ive got it so far.

I had some problems surging/bucking, got rid of them, and it runs great at cruize, actually seems to pull harder, when im in fifth gear,low rpm,rolling into the throttle,then it does when i try to pound gears, and really make it go, it just dosent wanta go past 5,000rpm, like somethings holding it back, any suggestions?
I got the AFM PMS, took out -5* timing in p/t wot menu, and dadded some fuel. 2 in global, and in p/t and wot, from 4-8 depending on rpm/load.
Timings down to around 20*, and running around a 5psi spring now,
what are some good settings to use in the pms for a turbo setup? mostly for hi-rpm, hi load i'm having problems.

my wideband isnt working at all now, so i was goin off a narrow band, so i atleast have something to tell me and idea were im running till i get a new wideband. And im gonna get the Interacq for the PMS.

post #11 of 26 Old 09-14-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

FIRST RIDE VIDEO!

heres a wuick video, sorry about the ####y camera, but as you will see its running pretty good, but just wont go past 5,000rpm,(didnt really want to push it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVYzJMQ0RA
post #12 of 26 Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 AM

Glad to see you got the drivability problems sorted out!
post #13 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

WELL, sort of, as you said, the drivability issues yess, but not making any power also, and cant seem to get it past 5k rpm, like somethings holdin it back, maybe timing, or not enough fuel, WOT.
whats a good total timing for a turbo ford? guys have told me these modualrs need less timing than the 5.0s, but whats a general area? 19* ok? for around 5-6psi?

And im waiten on a wideband since my old one dont seem to be working still, and the interacq software for the pms. Then i hope i can get all the issues solved.
The BOV still dosent seem to be working, i have it hooked up, dirrectly to the a port on the manifold plenum, try'd adjusting the spring rate, all the way to hard, all the way to soft. I also have the sunpro cheap boost gauge T'd off of the Bov feed, so im gonna move the boost gauge supply somewhere on its own, and increase the size of the hose feeding the Bov, maybe that'll work, any other suggustions?
post #14 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (109)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570cobra96svt View Post
WELL, sort of, as you said, the drivability issues yess, but not making any power also, and cant seem to get it past 5k rpm, like somethings holdin it back, maybe timing, or not enough fuel, WOT.
whats a good total timing for a turbo ford? guys have told me these modualrs need less timing than the 5.0s, but whats a general area? 19* ok? for around 5-6psi?

And im waiten on a wideband since my old one dont seem to be working still, and the interacq software for the pms. Then i hope i can get all the issues solved.
The BOV still dosent seem to be working, i have it hooked up, dirrectly to the a port on the manifold plenum, try'd adjusting the spring rate, all the way to hard, all the way to soft. I also have the sunpro cheap boost gauge T'd off of the Bov feed, so im gonna move the boost gauge supply somewhere on its own, and increase the size of the hose feeding the Bov, maybe that'll work, any other suggustions?
What plugs do you have in it and what are they gapped at? What are you seeing for boost on the gauge?

'97 Cobra...Terminator in SN clothing.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.3L Lysholm, Aluminator, T56, IRS.
post #15 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PritchSVT97 View Post
What plugs do you have in it and what are they gapped at? What are you seeing for boost on the gauge?
I got bosch platinum plus, hr8d px, i checked the gaps, they were over .35
my feeler gauges only go up to .35, so i closed them all up to .35, to much?
i know that .25 is the lowest you would want to go, and only with hi boost.

so there all .35, maybe .30 would be better?
i took it for a ride, with them at .35, and i def' noticed better driveabilitly, but still same problem with it not wanting to pull over 4,500-5,000.

And as for the boost gauge, i had a sunpro, cheap, hookep up to the barb on the plenum, tap'd in with a T' off the feed to the fuel regulator, (that back corner barb/nipple) regualtor feed(also feeds other sutff).

And it never reads any boost, just 30-25 vaccum, and when i get on it, 0 is the best i can get, Its gota be making boost, cuz i hear it, and the wastegate is opening fine, i even bought another gauge(same exact one) and got the same results, unless the feed line is leaking.

weres yours hooked up?

The nipple that use to connect to the PCV, is now hooked up all alone to the BOV, and it seems to be working now, i dont hear anymore compressor surge, so that help'd the drivability also.

But i still got the problem with WOT, and when i tromp it to the floor, i even tried some dif' adjustments in the pms, under accel, wot, p/t hi load.
I wish my new wideband would hurry up and get here, cuz i dont want to even bother going off the one i got now, its always on 14.2-14.6, its been in 3 cars, so it mite just be the sensor itself, but im gettin all new setup, and the interacq for the pms so i can datalogg.

any other suggestions? idk what its like to pegg' the MAF,
maybe the 80mm c&l? is causing problems?

i was thinking the IMRC'S? but if it was IMRC'S ID have alot more problems with the mid range driveability, and im not, only above 4,000rpm.And they work, i just had them out and cleaned,inspected,made sure there working.

I also have the muffler still on, and im thinking that mite be doin it? cuz its restricting the flow to the turbo at hi rpm, and creating back pressure, which is bad at hi rpm also. Waiten for some tubing, so i can fab up a new tailpipe without a muffler to feed the t70.
any other suggestions?
post #16 of 26 Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
somethings not right... Have you checked for any and all possible vacuum leaks??? Also I know I have a pushrod motor with tfs heads and a totally different ignition system them you, but why run bocsh plat? I run just regular old copper autolite 3923's gapped at .028" with an msd 6al and never had a problem. Only reason I ask about the plugs is that I too ran those and experienced something similar in N/A form.
post #17 of 26 Old 09-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
I read this thread quickly. Are you running an ignition box like an MSD? IF not I remember something about the 94-95's and possibly your 96's and up that need to run one while running a PMS. By not running one the engines wouldn't rev over 4000rpm if I remember right.

Also get rid of the platinum plugs. Just throw in a set or Autolites.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (109)
Quote:
I got bosch platinum plus, hr8d px, i checked the gaps, they were over .35
my feeler gauges only go up to .35, so i closed them all up to .35, to much?
i know that .25 is the lowest you would want to go, and only with hi boost.

so there all .35, maybe .30 would be better?
i took it for a ride, with them at .35, and i def' noticed better driveabilitly, but still same problem with it not wanting to pull over 4,500-5,000.
Autolite 764's gapped at .032 try that first. If you want to go to an even colder plug (shouldn't need that at this point) you can use an AR103.

Quote:
And as for the boost gauge, i had a sunpro, cheap, hookep up to the barb on the plenum, tap'd in with a T' off the feed to the fuel regulator, (that back corner barb/nipple) regualtor feed(also feeds other sutff).

And it never reads any boost, just 30-25 vaccum, and when i get on it, 0 is the best i can get, Its gota be making boost, cuz i hear it, and the wastegate is opening fine, i even bought another gauge(same exact one) and got the same results, unless the feed line is leaking.

weres yours hooked up?
Mine was tapped in at the same spot. I would question if your BOV/ Wastegate is functioning properly. Your seeing no boost reading on the gauge and the car is running A/Fs that an NA car would run. Check your piping and hose connections to make sure nothings leaking. Something definitely not right there.
post #19 of 26 Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper View Post
I read this thread quickly. Are you running an ignition box like an MSD? IF not I remember something about the 94-95's and possibly your 96's and up that need to run one while running a PMS. By not running one the engines wouldn't rev over 4000rpm if I remember right.

Also get rid of the platinum plugs. Just throw in a set or Autolites.
No, no ignition box, they say the pms does a good enough job.

Its not that it wont rev out past 4k, it wil, but when theres a load on it, or boost, it just takes to long. Its gotta be a fuel or timing.
but thanks for the info, i'll remeber that in case i cant figure it out.

Another thing i heard, is the stock map sensor mite be causing problems, im gonna try unplugg it, i got a 3bar coming to hook up to the pms.
post #20 of 26 Old 09-17-2009, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PritchSVT97 View Post
Autolite 764's gapped at .032 try that first. If you want to go to an even colder plug (shouldn't need that at this point) you can use an AR103.

I'll grab some autolites when i get a chance and give that a try, i had no problem running the bosch with stock steup, but ya never know,i dont know what heat range they are, maybe there to hot.

Mine was tapped in at the same spot. I would question if your BOV/ Wastegate is functioning properly. Your seeing no boost reading on the gauge and the car is running A/Fs that an NA car would run. Check your piping and hose connections to make sure nothings leaking. Something definitely not right there.
i built the cold side myself, and i know all the fittings are tight, checked everything over, and my systems no more dif' than and sts, as for piping size, i did all the airflow calculations for my engine/turbo, and i need a minimum of
2"coldside. and exhasut 2.25" wich is what it is.
yea im thinking its my BOV, maybe i gotta adjust the spring, put some more pressure on it, maybe its blowing open under pressure, it is a cheapo.

I was thinkin maybe the stock MAP?, maybe its seeing the pressure and taking out timing, on top of my timing?
its something stupid i know it is.
I'm gonna try some more variables, ltomarrow im taking out the muffler, and adjsutin the spring on the BOV,wire open the imrc's, and check out some sensors, Iill see what i can come up with.
THANKS GUYS
post #21 of 26 Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (24)
Stock injectors and fuel pump? Probably running out of fuel. If I didn't miss something and that's the case, don't get on it or you'll for sure break a piston.

Also are you running all the exhaust through a single stock muffler before it gets to the turbo? That would be extremely restrictive.

'03 Mach 1
'98 GT, 410w/C4
post #22 of 26 Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslow_306 View Post
somethings not right... Have you checked for any and all possible vacuum leaks??? Also I know I have a pushrod motor with tfs heads and a totally different ignition system them you, but why run bocsh plat? I run just regular old copper autolite 3923's gapped at .028" with an msd 6al and never had a problem. Only reason I ask about the plugs is that I too ran those and experienced something similar in N/A form.
I checked over the vac sytem, everythings working, cuz if i had a leak, the bov wouldnt work, and my gauge wouldnt show 30' at idle rite?
and another trick i know is on most fords the HVAC system works off of vaccum to switch between the settings like defrost,floor etc. and they all switch quickly, i had a problem in a car once were it took forever to switch, and it had a hose rotted off.
as for the plugs, a year ago when i did msd wires, The guy con'd me into buyin new plugs, gave me a good deal on the bosch with the wires, so i grabbed them.
I never had a problem with them N/A, only prob i had was a missfire on #7 cylinder, from one of the msd wires, that cooked a pin hole thru the boot, and i still beat and 06 hooked up sti, runnin on 7 cylinders(only midrange for some reason), then of course i got a new wire the next day.
post #23 of 26 Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeMaster View Post
Stock injectors and fuel pump? Probably running out of fuel. If I didn't miss something and that's the case, don't get on it or you'll for sure break a piston.

Also are you running all the exhaust through a single stock muffler before it gets to the turbo? That would be extremely restrictive.
As for the muffler yea, and i think thats the problem! No one else has said anything about that, And Ive been thinking the same about the muffler,stock muffler i think is the problem!, its restricting flow to the turbo at hi rpm, when the wastegate is ope, and keepin all that flow in the engine at hi rpm creating back pressure, i was planning on taking it out anyway, I just ran out of tube to finish the tailpipe.
i just ordered some tubing for tomarrow to take it off, ill find out tomarrow.
Its got a basssani x pipe, and im only runnin the driver side to feed the turbo, the passenger side is got the wastegate on it.
All the pipe size is fine, No bigger than 2.25", i called sts, they said thats the maximum, any bigger and youll loose the velocity to feed it, plus i had a guy help me do the calculations on everything, and it was good.

As for fuel supply, i got a 255 walboro pump in the tank, and since im not runnin over 5-6 pounds of boost, i should have plenty of fuel.
Plus the PMS adding fuel for now till i have the 42's, new MAF, and anderson big pump inline, which should be overkill.
Just the intank pump, should work fine for only 5-6lbs rite?,or a boostapump, ive seen on a 96 vortech, running 6psi, and car ran fine.
post #24 of 26 Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Well ive come up with some variables, both from you guys, and from me,and a check list of what ive accomplished.

some possibilitys, & things im gonna check out, look into, and maybe solve.

1:spark plugs & gap,(change bosch to autolite & gap to .32")

2:timing/igniton,(taking out to much, or spark blow out? hookup 3-bar to pms)

3:fuel: need more,(bigger injectors, regualtor extra inline pump?)
(max boost of 6psi)

4:MAFpegging?, bad signal from elbows?need blow thru?)

4: STOCK MUFFLERrestricting flow/creating backpressure?)

5: BOV (opening up under boost)

6: LEAKING BOOST: Not gettin any boost in intake manifold
(gauge not showing, possibly wastegate opening to soon?,because its getting its signal from compressor, not intake manifold?)
(or leak in coupling or piping?)

7:stock MAP sensor:?

8:adaptive ability: of the ECU learning from 02s

AND ANOTHER ONE I THOUGT OF,

8: EGR: (stock egr system still hooked up,maybe boost pressure getting past egr vavle on manifold? at hi rpm?)
(did have a DTC for egr one time.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already eliminated problems:

Would not even idle/run/rev:
fixed by: Clock'ing MAF' to outside radius of 45* coupling that connects it to boost supply.

Wategate not opening at all, causing motor to completly fall on its face at mid range:
Fixed by: hooking wastegate supply directly up to compressor, instead of manifold.

Bov not opening, geting compressor surge:
Fixed by: supplying its own port off of manifold(port that use to be connected to pcv) and also increasing size of supply line.

most of the drivabilty problems:
fixed by: taking out timing, gapping plugs to .35 from around .38,

-------------------------------------------------------------------
just to go over again,Problems still occuring,
Showing no pressure on boost gauge, but hear turbo/wastegate working,
Falls on its face/chokes out when throttle is opened quick to WOT,(trompd)
No power, dosent pull like it should starting mid up to hi rpm,(wont rev out)
CAR Pulls PERFECT when in fifth gear LOW rpm,(lugging)
with the pedal to the floor, (HI TPS%,)

thanks guys for your help/opinons/info.
I'm gonna try a couple things on this list here, and ill see what happens.
post #25 of 26 Old 09-17-2009, 10:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (41)
Do yourself a favor and call AFM up ASAP and ask about the ignition system with the PMS. That MIGHT be most of your problems. It's a quick call instead of keep playing with everything.

Alos with no igintion system I would gap the plugs at .025-.028".

Your stock EEC does not have a MAP sensor. Its a BAP.
post #26 of 26 Old 09-17-2009, 07:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
Quote:

As for fuel supply, i got a 255 walboro pump in the tank, and since im not runnin over 5-6 pounds of boost, i should have plenty of fuel.
Plus the PMS adding fuel for now till i have the 42's, new MAF, and anderson big pump inline, which should be overkill.
Just the intank pump, should work fine for only 5-6lbs rite?,or a boostapump, ive seen on a 96 vortech, running 6psi, and car ran fine.
Not fine in my opinion. Still needs larger injectors. The PMS might be trying to increase the pulse width to them to get more fuel, but they could be maxing out before meeting the needs of the engine, even at 5 psi of boost. Just be really careful until you get your A/F gauge on there and you know it is at least 11.8 to 12.5:1 range. Lower number = richer, as you probably know.

The stock pistons are almost like glass. If the engine rattles just a little bit they can break. A lot of guys have them break at 1/2 throttle and 4000 rpm even if the tune is good at full throttle. What happens is that it's not rich enough at part throttle at that point in their tune. They think they are being careful by not getting on it fully and....boom!

Also, when you pop a ring land sometimes the chunk will stay in place and not get loose and ruin the bore and the head. You still know it's broken because that hole will be low on compression and possibly oiling the plug a little too.

'03 Mach 1
'98 GT, 410w/C4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement