PMS ?'s - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
PMS ?'s

hey guys, just looking for some opinions here. for the longest time i've been trying to get my car running good (mods in sig) and finally got some where. i'm just curious if anyone else has tried this.

my car was bucking really hard while cruising sometimes under 2000 rpm, could never really get good control of the air/fuel at idle or cruise. every time i'd adjust the pms the eec would re adjust what i did so i didn't know if it was getting better or worse. i thought if i could stop the eec from self adjusting i might get somewhere so i unpluged the O2's. once i started it it was rich so i used the global fuel to get it to a good air/fuel and took it for a drive, that was the best driveability i ever had. i pluged the O2's back in and so far its been really good, is this the right way to do this or is there a better way?

i also would like to know how i can safely turn up the power on this thing. i've been shooting for 11.0 air/fuel at WOT and i've run up to 20 degrees total WOT timing at 11#'s. the ppl that sold me the heads/custom cam/intake said this thing should make roughly 500 rwhp, but i dont believe its there yet. if anyone has any tips for me to make this car move hard that would be great. low, med, high and wot throttle adjustments is what i need advise for. i finally have drivability so this is the next step

sry about the long post, thanks.

93 lx, stock block, windsor jr. heads, custom cam, track heat , 75mm tb, hellion turbo kit (62-1), abaco 85mm, PMS IV, 3:27's, t5

proud member of the "jackstand turbo mustang club"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-14-2009, 12:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
are you runing turbo?
Cuz I'M having the same problems, bucking/ surging, at low rpms, and when i romp it to the floor it just flat out falls on its face, cuts the engine rite out,
im runnin a remote turbo on a 96 cobra, and cant seem to get rid of these problems, i tried taking out the timing, down to around 19* and adding fuel, but the stock settings seem to be the best.( I got the series 4 pms)

im in the same boat as you man, my car wants to run with the turbo, but it just wont.
I got it the best i could messing with settings,& only runnin 6psi to start, and now it runs pretty good, but just dosent wanta pull past 5,000rpms, like somethings holdin it back.
I think im gonna ahve to get the INTERACQ software, so i can datalog. and my wideband cant be working rite,its stayin on 14.3 alll the time.
Im gonna try unpluggin the 02's like you did

heres a video, best i got it running so far,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVYzJMQ0RA

post #3 of 24 Old 09-14-2009, 05:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (35)
Sounds like you need to take it to a tuner

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (10)
thats a problem with the PMS.. you have a dead spot between idle and 2000rpm thats nearly impossible to tune the transition.

PLEASE EMAIL --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- DO NOT PM for prices or tuning!

815-669-RACE (7223) <--- Sales

Please visit our e-store --->
<---

Chicagolands largest Vortech dealer since 2006!

We stock many parts! If you dont see it, just ask!

Before you buy ANY mustang part, give us a chance. We accept mastercard and visa.
Authorized SCT, AEM, Diablosport, Vortech, Paxton, BS3, FAST, UPR, PA Racing, Harland Sharp, Team Z, GMS, Trickflow, Kooks, and MANY MORE!

post #5 of 24 Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
why haven't you guys gone to a chassis dyno yet?
post #6 of 24 Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I also use a PMS and did the same thing. Unplug both o2's, disconect the battery for a few minutes to clear the computer. Hook the battery back up and tune with a wide band. You can leave both o2's disconected after it's tuned. You will get a CEL light with them unpluged. I just kill the power using my battery shut-off after I drive it. You can put them back in after you tune it. I just leave them out to disable the adaptive feature in the computer. My car runs much better doing this. Hope that makes sense?
post #7 of 24 Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM

thanks, i forgot all about unplugging the 02's, and unhooking the battery for 10 mins rite.
i'll give it a shot, Whats a good overall timing for a 5-6 psi? i know these my mod' motor likes a lil' less timing than a 5.0,
19* sound about right? at max boost?

I dont have any issues low rpm anymore, got it tuned that area,its just WOT, When i romp on it, sometimes it just boggs right out, and it just dont seem to want to go past
5k rpm, Like somethings holding it back.
And as for a tuner, every guy i know, is gonna say take the pms out, and put a chip in, which no good for me, cuz im making changes every week, thats why i bought the PMS.

as for a dyno tune, or tuner
the closest tuner/dyno is 3-4 hours away,
The 500$ i'm gonna spend on dyno session and pretty much someone to mess with settings till they get it rite, I can do with my buddy up on the highway, and i can doo all the pulls i want for free, with a real load,real secenario since im building a
street car/drift/ not for the WOT 1/4 mile.

I've had a couple cars, 91gsx eclipse 50trim, 96 probe gt, and many others tuned at a dyno, and if it wasnt the ride home or within the next week it was running like #### again.
Then when i added a part, back to the dyno(when it was only and hour away) to get another tune done, and spend another 300$
Thats why i bought the pms, and the money im gonna spend on a dyno tune, i can get the interacq, and a new wideband(mines shot been used in 3 cars) and like i said, tune it myself with no cost but fuel on the hiway.(maybe a ticket) lol.

Personally i have never had any luck with dyno tunes, maybe it was just the 2 different guys i took it to sucked, but ive always had better luck street tuning it, same with all my buddys and there cars do the same thing, get someone to drive, and the laptop, and head for the interstate.
Tune on the street for the track, tune at the track for the street.
I'm not sayin the dyno is junk, or not important, it most def' is very important, i jsut got alot more things i gotta do/finish before i take it to the dyno for a final number. I just wanted some quick help/ideas to get me running descent, and get a base, so i dont have to do trial and error all day like i use to do. i just want it driveable to go out and get fuel, and drive from home to my shop, and yea to hear that turbo whistle and from what ive noticed, these modular motors need alot more attention to detail in the tuning tables than a 5.0, pushrod motor in general.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-15-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew89lx View Post
I also use a PMS and did the same thing. Unplug both o2's, disconect the battery for a few minutes to clear the computer. Hook the battery back up and tune with a wide band. You can leave both o2's disconected after it's tuned. You will get a CEL light with them unpluged. I just kill the power using my battery shut-off after I drive it. You can put them back in after you tune it. I just leave them out to disable the adaptive feature in the computer. My car runs much better doing this. Hope that makes sense?
I'M gonna try it today, thanks, forgot all about doin that. As for diable'ing the adaptive feature, you mean turn standalone on right? cuz i got the series 4 pms for a 96 cobra/mustang, and i got some dif' settings.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570cobra96svt View Post
thanks, i forgot all about unplugging the 02's, and unhooking the battery for 10 mins rite.
i'll give it a shot, Whats a good overall timing for a 5-6 psi? i know these my mod' motor likes a lil' less timing than a 5.0,
19* sound about right? at max boost?
what compression ratio? what fuel?

on my motor i have 9:1 cr, 30* total n/a on that motor would be no problem. 6psi is nothing as far as boost is concerned. i would pull 1* of timing per pound of boost starting at 3psi so that would mean for 6psi your pulling 3* at 6psi for a total of 27* total at wot. if that scares you, start at 25 and listen for ping. i run 91 octane fwiw

TWIN TURBO!! Because bottles are for babies and superchargers blow
megasquirt, 331, twin 66s, ported 205cc head, efi spyder intake, 160# injectors, e85
post #10 of 24 Old 09-15-2009, 02:04 PM

When I say adaptive feature, I mean the stock computer will try and tune around the settings you put in the PMS. If you don't run the stock o2's, the computer can't do that. Yes, I have standalone ON. As far as timing, I would start at 20* total at wot. With standalone on, timing will be 25* + or - whatever you have in other tables. Hope this helps.

post #11 of 24 Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 AM

As for fuel, runnin 93 octane, stock compression,(9.8:1 rite?)
as for timing, thats what i did, -1* for every pound, and i even tried -1.5* for every pound.
thats what i did, with S/A on, total timing of 25* brought it down to around 19* total at wot/ & part throttle hi-rpm, hi-load, and im not gettin any pinging at all, even when i didnt even touch the timing, just left it at 25* didnt take out any in the WOT or p/t hi load-rpm table, and it dosent seem to make a difference.
I'm waiten on the gm map sensor coming thru the mail, so i can hook that up to the pms, and setup the system using that, the easy way.

Im also thinking It could be something else, like the IMRC'S or the c&l could be pegging,or the fact that i left the stock muffler in the system, and its probly restricting the flow to the turbo at hi rpm, and creating back pressure at hi rpm, both are no good, so im gonna get some tubing and fab' up a new tailpipe system that supplys the turbo. today i hooked the BOv up to the side port on the plenum, that use to connect to the pcv, increased the size of the supply line, and it seems to bee working, no more compressor surge, so that help'd some of my driveability issues i noticed.And also gappin the plugs down to .35
gotta do some more trial and error stuff, till i get
my new wideband, and interacq so can get some better answers, so i can get some real numbers to tune off of.

Drew89lx, yea i know what you meant by adaptive control, i just thought you ment there was somewere you could turn it off the way i was understanding you, but the only way is to turn standalone on, and do like you said with the 02's.& battery, which ill try shortly.

Thanks guys for the help/info.

i'll have some more variables as soon as i get the new wideband, and do a couple other things like get rid of the muffler.

not tryin to steel this thread, but i got a thread under turbocharger:
REAR TURBO 96COBRA HELP/SUGGESTIONS, i got alotta info on what ive done so far, and some other things so i dont have to repeat myself. thanks
post #12 of 24 Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 AM

most people will tell you that with stand alone on, you should go into your wot and HL table and put in
2000: +10*
4000: +10*
6000: +8*
8000: +6*

check out stangtuning.com and you will see this in every start up tune. that would mean your timing at 6000rpm would be 25+8=33* then if you want to be conservative, pull 1* of timing at 1psi and (assuming your max boost is set to 20psi) pull 20* at 20psi. more then likely if you have 20psi as your max boost setting (like i do), your lowest boost number will be 4psi. to pull 1* for each psi, you would put in -4* at 4psi and -20* at 20psi. this will get you to 27* total timing at 6000rpm (assuming your making 6psi at this point). 93octane it wont ping. my budy ran 10:1 compression with 11psi on 91 octane and 27* total timing and no intercooler. cam makes a difference in how a motor takes boost/timing but you get the idea

make sense?

megasquirt, 331, twin 66s, ported 205cc head, efi spyder intake, 160# injectors, e85
post #13 of 24 Old 09-16-2009, 09:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (23)
callANDERSON FORD MOTORSPORT and talk to rick anderson or danny biggs,they got mine perfect,from startup to full throttle
post #14 of 24 Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckythirteen13 View Post
most people will tell you that with stand alone on, you should go into your wot and HL table and put in
2000: +10*
4000: +10*
6000: +8*
8000: +6*

check out stangtuning.com and you will see this in every start up tune. that would mean your timing at 6000rpm would be 25+8=33* then if you want to be conservative, pull 1* of timing at 1psi and (assuming your max boost is set to 20psi) pull 20* at 20psi. more then likely if you have 20psi as your max boost setting (like i do), your lowest boost number will be 4psi. to pull 1* for each psi, you would put in -4* at 4psi and -20* at 20psi. this will get you to 27* total timing at 6000rpm (assuming your making 6psi at this point). 93octane it wont ping. my budy ran 10:1 compression with 11psi on 91 octane and 27* total timing and no intercooler. cam makes a difference in how a motor takes boost/timing but you get the idea

make sense?
yea i got ya,
I think thats were my problem was, im taking out to much timing WOT HL, I was down to 19*,cuz im def not gettin detonation, it sounds the opposite,like its not gettin enough timing.
I understand the whole boost menu/setup,i just didnt have the boost setup hooked up, waiting on my 3-bar map sensor to hookup to the pms(which must be coming from china by canoe!),

so im not even gonna touch it till i get the sensor,people said you can make a tune, and make it work without that boost setup,just by editing the P/T WOT tables correctly,i was just trying ot see if it could be done, which it could, i def' got it close, but its not worth it.
Im not gonna waste anymore time, or/and up with a broken rod or piston

just wondering; why you add timing in WOT H/L? then take it back out? when you could just take out less timing in the boost menu?

thanks
post #15 of 24 Old 09-18-2009, 04:19 AM

because you dont have boost off idle. you have to add timing in in from 2000 up till you make good boost. also, 9 times out of 10, -1* per psi is enough when running 32-35* total (before boost). the pms doesnt allow you to remove fractions of degrees per psi. also, i started tuning with the pms when i had a sc. it was easier then the turbo because you could take the belt off the sc, make a wot pass and tune the motor n/a. when the tune is perfect, put the belt on and just make adjustments for boost in the boost table. lastly, with stand alone at 25*, you dont have enough timing even at low boost so you would actually be adding in timing for the first few psi and then removing it as boost builds. much more complicated then just adding timing in the wot table and then removing a linear amount of timing in the boost table.

post #16 of 24 Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

the best i've done so far is unhook my o2's and set my idle a/f using the global fuel option, then i pluged them back in and with everything set to 0 on the pms i started workinig on the tune(except for the boost menu, i added alot of fuel and took out alot of timing to start with) i dont use the stand alone either, when i tried it my car would just turn off when it hit stand alone. so far i've tweeked it alot and picked up alot of power. as for getting it dyno tuned, i dont have 20 hr's to trailer it to a good shop, hence the pms. (i live in nova scotia, canada, i'd have to head to ontario to take it anywhere i'd trust) so far my car is driving pretty good now, i have some more tweeking to do but so far its working.

93 lx, stock block, windsor jr. heads, custom cam, track heat , 75mm tb, hellion turbo kit (62-1), abaco 85mm, PMS IV, 3:27's, t5

post #17 of 24 Old 09-18-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlx View Post
the best i've done so far is unhook my o2's and set my idle a/f using the global fuel option, then i pluged them back in and with everything set to 0 on the pms i started workinig on the tune(except for the boost menu, i added alot of fuel and took out alot of timing to start with) i dont use the stand alone either, when i tried it my car would just turn off when it hit stand alone. so far i've tweeked it alot and picked up alot of power. as for getting it dyno tuned, i dont have 20 hr's to trailer it to a good shop, hence the pms. (i live in nova scotia, canada, i'd have to head to ontario to take it anywhere i'd trust) so far my car is driving pretty good now, i have some more tweeking to do but so far its working.
you dont have to go to a shop that you trust, with the pms all you need is any shop that has a dyno and rent time from them. they arent doing the tuning, you are

post #18 of 24 Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckythirteen13 View Post
you dont have to go to a shop that you trust, with the pms all you need is any shop that has a dyno and rent time from them. they arent doing the tuning, you are
yea i guess when you put it that way, i just figured if i was gonna put it on a dyno i might as well have them tune it and be done with it. i'm also thinking now that i might upgrade to a tweecer so i can have more tuning ability, altho i'm not a big fan of how the tweecer doesn't read boost, i would prefer a tuner with a map sensor. everything's up in the air with my car, i was lookin at a dart block for a 363 and a really big turbo 2 weeks ago.

post #19 of 24 Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 PM

Why would you want to tune your AF at idle with the global fuel table? That is completly wrong from how I understand global fuel. Remember if you add fuel in the global fuel table it adds that amount from idle to redline. You need to tune the idle AF in the idle table. If I used global fuel table to adjust my idle, my tune would run like crap. You need a wideband to tune with PMS if you don't have one.
post #20 of 24 Old 09-19-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew89lx View Post
Why would you want to tune your AF at idle with the global fuel table? That is completly wrong from how I understand global fuel. Remember if you add fuel in the global fuel table it adds that amount from idle to redline. You need to tune the idle AF in the idle table. If I used global fuel table to adjust my idle, my tune would run like crap. You need a wideband to tune with PMS if you don't have one.
i have a wideband, i tried everything else i possibly could to make the car run and drive halfway decent, the global fuel adjustment was the only way i could tune anything under 2000 rpms except idle. its worked great so far, its gotten rid of my horrible bog when i used to hit the throttle too quick and has upped my fuel mileage alot. i just added a ton of fuel in the boost menu and trimmed it back as needed and vise versa with timing. i couldn't tell weather i was making it better or worse with the O2's plugged in but once they were unplugged and the car was warm i could straighten it out in a few seconds. it was the only thing i had left to try and it worked for me.

post #21 of 24 Old 09-20-2009, 01:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlx View Post
i have a wideband, i tried everything else i possibly could to make the car run and drive halfway decent, the global fuel adjustment was the only way i could tune anything under 2000 rpms except idle. its worked great so far, its gotten rid of my horrible bog when i used to hit the throttle too quick and has upped my fuel mileage alot. i just added a ton of fuel in the boost menu and trimmed it back as needed and vise versa with timing. i couldn't tell weather i was making it better or worse with the O2's plugged in but once they were unplugged and the car was warm i could straighten it out in a few seconds. it was the only thing i had left to try and it worked for me.
FYI the 2000rpm cells adjust from just off idle (1% TPS or more) to 2250rpms. So any adjustments under 2000rpms should be made with the 2000rpm cell.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-21-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper View Post
FYI the 2000rpm cells adjust from just off idle (1% TPS or more) to 2250rpms. So any adjustments under 2000rpms should be made with the 2000rpm cell.
i didn't know that, thanks for the info. i may try messing with that to see if it helps make it any better. if so i may rethink the way i have this set up.

post #23 of 24 Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (162)
i'm assuming that you got a blow through meter?

is it calibrated for pms?

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #24 of 24 Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
i'm assuming that you got a blow through meter?

is it calibrated for pms?
yes i have an abaco 85mm, its set up as a blow through. i didn't know you can set the meter up for the pms. i thought you just set it for the injectors your using and adjust with the pms from there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement