Boost a pump question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (-2)
Boost a pump question

I recently purchased a boost a pump 40 A off eBay , it is new but there is no control knob and the wire for it has been clipped. I was told that it's ok to run it like that. I was told that it would just be on full all the time and that's the way most people run them anyway. I was also told to bypass the hobbs switch so it's always on. Is this ok? My tuner says "no way" anyone know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I run one in my Focus and I have installed several in other cars and tuned with them.

I always bypass the pressure switch (just wire the 2 ends together) when you do this it gives you a smooth & gradual pressure increase, if you run the switch everytime it turns on you get a fuel pressure spike (~80psi and this also causes a momentary rich condition)

As for the knob... I think you should call Kenne Bell and see if they will sell you one... I dont think it'll work correctly without it.... FWIW I usually run them wide open since most of the newer Ford ECU's will self adjust your fuel pump voltage to keep it from over fueling when the demand is not there.

Nothing but slow chebby's right now.....
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I ran a 40-amp BAP in my '03 Cobra with no control knob or pressure switch. It worked great at 100% full time. The computer controls the fuel better that way.

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Yeah, the guy you bought it from is a a-hole too...I was looking for one a long time ago and he was selling it then, told me the same thing.
I would not have bought that, and even would try to return it. Sure you can run it that way, but you're also running the fuel pump at a higher voltage all times, and circulating a ton of un-needed fuel around all the time, heating it up.

"All your base are belong to us"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement