Garrett GTP38 help/info - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Garrett GTP38 help/info

Hey guys, I'm new around here but I've done my research and did a search on this with little success. I'm doing a turbo build on my 1991 mustang. I have a set of pony down performance headers with a T4 flange. Here's where the diesel guys come into play... I scored a Garrett GTP38 off a 99-03 powerstroke diesel. It's an 80mm with .84 a/r exh and 1.10 a/r compressor for $30! Even if i have to rebuild it I think I made out pretty damn well on the deal, right?

My question is what special modifications will have to be done to this turbo (oiling system) to get it to work on my kit. What horsepower can this turbo support? I heard it's internally wastegated, can I block this off and use my TiAL 44mm external wastegate? Also, is this the HKS flange I'll need to adapt the GTP38 to my T4 flange? http://shop.edoperformance.com/hks-t...1r-p-4653.html

Please share any and all information/suggestions that you think will help. I need to know what I have and how it will perform. Thanks so much!

Chris

P.S. let me know if you need any more info on my current n/a combo!

Bought and sold way too many.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
I have the tp38 on my car now. It is the one right before that. They are the same except the gtp38 has the "wicked wheel" installed.

SELL that turbo. The oiling is a bitch. I luckily bought it from a guy that had the top inch off the pedestal. See on the stock configuration they are mounted on a pedastal and that is how they get oil. You would need to cut the top inch of the pedastal and then tap the holes for fittings then go to ford and get the oil seals (cheap). More work than it is worth. Just get a holset they are cheap and have the regular oil setup. If you decide to stay with the tp38 welcome to headaches.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnipples2002 View Post
I have the tp38 on my car now. It is the one right before that. They are the same except the gtp38 has the "wicked wheel" installed.

SELL that turbo. The oiling is a bitch. I luckily bought it from a guy that had the top inch off the pedestal. See on the stock configuration they are mounted on a pedastal and that is how they get oil. You would need to cut the top inch of the pedastal and then tap the holes for fittings then go to ford and get the oil seals (cheap). More work than it is worth. Just get a holset they are cheap and have the regular oil setup. If you decide to stay with the tp38 welcome to headaches.
Well, after researching for three days and reading an overwhelming amount of responses like this one, I just scored a brand new MasterPower T-70 .68 a/r for $515 shipped. The GTP38 just doesn't seem worth it. Thanks anyway!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 PM

Alot cheaper than the mp70, BUT easier. I like the tp38 for what it is and does on a stang but had I the choice...holset.....Just as cheap and way easy.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah man, I don't have a quitter mentaility at all. Under normal circumstances I would consider things like that oiling mod a challenge. However, this is my first turbo build and I don't want my car laid up for an exorbitant amount of time while I work through unnecessary problems. This MP T-70 with the .68 a/r exh should spool up quickly and give me the power I'm looking for easily.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Does it have the twin scroll inlet? If so you can make that spool as fast as you need.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...48.0;topicseen

Last edited by goatnipples2002; 08-30-2009 at 11:45 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-30-2009, 11:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
PM'd about that gtp38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement