On3 turbo owners,come inside please - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (74)
On3 turbo owners,come inside please

whats the verdict on these kits?specifically the fox single turbo kits.. i would like to hear from people who actually own these kits,not the regular bashers out there please..i know where the kits are made,i know they may or may not have been copied from another manufacturer,that doesnt matter to me right now..i want to know how these kits are actually performing and holding up after some actual use,and what problems, if any people are running in to..they look fine in the build threads,but so does anything brand new out there..supposedly all mild steel hotside parts now
any feedback is appreciated,or just pm me if you dont wanna post in here to avoid the fights that usually occur in On3 threads lol.thanks!

1987 Notch - N/A stock 302, TFS heads, Holley Systemax, FTI cam, Astro A5
Best so far: 10.92 @ 123mph with a 1.49 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 Old 08-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (33)
I recently purchased a kit from chad. I got the kit in last week and I think I got my money's worth.

The not side on mine is mild steel and the cold side it stainless. The cold side seems very nice, with nice welds and the ends are bead rolled. The couplers and clamps seem of be of nice quality. The bov and wastegate are chinese copies of Tial parts. They seem of be nice though though.

The hot side is the worst of the kit. I'm not saying is horrible, just not as nice as the cold side. The welds are messy and the primary tubes are a bit restricted where they mean the flange.

Is this kit the ####?.....No. Is this kit a good kit for the money?.....I think so.

1987 Saleen clone: 358cid, FoxLake Vic Jr's, Victor 5.0, YSi, etc, etc, etc
809rwhp on pump gas + meth injection
"Just turn the boost up.....it's only air."
post #3 of 125 Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I just got my kit last week. I haven't installed it yet, but after checking all the parts out and reading through the directions I have nothing to complain about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 125 Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
well as long as u use copper gasket on every pipe joint, where the two pipes join, ur good. I put down 440rwhp and 400rwtq on a mustang dyno on 12 psi and only took it to 4k and shut it down, because it wanted to pull more boost. So we change springs in the wastegate and it pulled 9lbs and made 422rwhp and 390rwtq. I have no other bolt ons on my stock block. Stock everything, besides the on3performance kit and fuel pump. Just plan on buying a bump steer kit for the 99-04 gt's, because the tie rods hit the hotpipe. Other then that I love it. It pulls twice as hard as the T-trim at 12lbs. I had on my car. SCARY FAST!!!
post #5 of 125 Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I am one of then who bought 2v kit when it was just out. Ran into some problem with vband leaking but Now after 3 months of taking pipes out and using lot's of copper gasket it is leak free. I think he should use better quality vband so we as costomer don't have to fight for leaks.

For the price kit is real good, weld is awesome on my kit. If u want nice turbo kit for the money this a great kit. But if you want to make 1000hp might nit be the best.
Here is my YouTube
www.YouTube.com/lovetorace

Voodoo racing innovation built 4v , powerglide, borg warner s475 at 29psi, custome turbo kit , pro efi ecu, Aeromotive fuel pump, aeromotive fuel rails, id 1000 injectors, e85. Best to date 1.36 60'
Best pass to date 8.92 at 156mph. Best 1/8 mile 5.6at 127 mph.

Last edited by 2002mustanggt; 08-12-2009 at 08:02 PM.
post #6 of 125 Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

cool,anyone else?

im not looking for 1000hp,believe me,i cant afford it,nor could my stock block handle it,thats why im loking into this kit in the first place..the price is very hard to beat

nice #'s btw guys...

my car currently puts down ~270hp/300tq at the wheels(mods in sig),do you think with this kit it could see over 500 at the wheels under 10psi? that would be sick,but i dont think the block could handle it lol

Last edited by tripleblackvert; 08-12-2009 at 09:35 PM.
post #7 of 125 Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblackvert View Post
cool,anyone else?

im not looking for 1000hp,believe me,i cant afford it,nor could my stock block handle it,thats why im loking into this kit in the first place..the price is very hard to beat

nice #'s btw guys...

my car currently puts down ~270hp/300tq at the wheels(mods in sig),do you think with this kit it could see over 500 at the wheels under 10psi? that would be sick,but i dont think the block could handle it lol
It's going to take closer to 14-16lbs to reach those hp levels with your setup and that particular kit.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #8 of 125 Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Kit is nice, as mentioned above the hot side is to be desired but the cold side is sweet! I'm going to have the hot side cleaned up welds gone over then sending out for ceramic coating! I'm in the process of putting the car together, hoping to lay done 750+rwhp with the 76mm upgrade so I'll keep you guys posted when I get it up and running.....

331 Dart Block, Eagle rotating assembly, comp custom turbo cam, tfs tw heads, PTC 9.5 converter, PA C4 w/brake, aeromotive eliminator fuel system, will be tuned with SDS, will post some pics soon!

Only sh##ty part of the On3 kit was that it didn't come with the detailed instructions as advertised! Anyone have them handy for a foxbody they can email me?

92 Lx hatch, 331
90 7-Up
post #9 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
It's going to take closer to 14-16lbs to reach those hp levels with your setup and that particular kit.
o really? im trying to learn about turbo stuff,(not name brands, just how turbos work in general,ive always been somewhat ignorant of them for whatever reason)so i dont know how much boost equals x amount of added power,etc..im sure the Bcam in my setup leaves alot to be desired with a turbo kit..hell it leaves alot to be desired N/A lol..

but,i dont have a bottomless wallet,which is the reason for considering this kit in the 1st place

so anyone else have it? was wondering how the new mild steel hotside stuff is holding up down the road? my car is far from a DD,mostly just to the track and back as of late...

post #10 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
o really? im trying to learn about turbo stuff,(not name brands, just how turbos work in general,ive always been somewhat ignorant of them for whatever reason)so i dont know how much boost equals x amount of added power,etc..im sure the Bcam in my setup leaves alot to be desired with a turbo kit..hell it leaves alot to be desired N/A lol..

but,i dont have a bottomless wallet,which is the reason for considering this kit in the 1st place

so anyone else have it? was wondering how the new mild steel hotside stuff is holding up down the road? my car is far from a DD,mostly just to the track and back as of late...
Really, most any turbo kit made will lay down some power. The reason I mentioned that boost level is that is what is advertised in his ebay add with almost your exact combo. Granted you have a ported upper intake and larger TB...but those wont do much in terms of horsepower with that turbo setup (not the restriction compared to a n/a setup). Most other turbo kit's I've seen only need ~ 12psi with a gt40p setup. The reason for him needing 16psi could be contributed to many things. It could possibly be the cheap turbo used or perhaps they never upgraded the valve springs from stock.

Here is the excerpt from the add...

"The newest install yielded 488 rear wheel hp and 666 rear wheel torque at 16psi, 10 degrees of timing and pump gas. The car had a stock 96 Explorer 5.0 longblock and only upgrade was a 65mm throttle body and a FMS B cam."

post #11 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salley347 View Post
Kit is nice, as mentioned above the hot side is to be desired but the cold side is sweet! I'm going to have the hot side cleaned up welds gone over then sending out for ceramic coating! I'm in the process of putting the car together, hoping to lay done 750+rwhp with the 76mm upgrade so I'll keep you guys posted when I get it up and running.....

331 Dart Block, Eagle rotating assembly, comp custom turbo cam, tfs tw heads, PTC 9.5 converter, PA C4 w/brake, aeromotive eliminator fuel system, will be tuned with SDS, will post some pics soon!

Only sh##ty part of the On3 kit was that it didn't come with the detailed instructions as advertised! Anyone have them handy for a foxbody they can email me?
I sure as hell hope your upgrading the Wastegate and BOV to bigger/better units as the ones that come with the kit seem to be barely able to hold 500rwhp without creep. I'd also suggest looking into a bigger downpipe setup as you are going to be severely pushing the limits of a 3" unit at those power levels. Just some food for thought.
post #12 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Really, most any turbo kit made will lay down some power. The reason I mentioned that boost level is that is what is advertised in his ebay add with almost your exact combo. Granted you have a ported upper intake and larger TB...but those wont do much in terms of horsepower with that turbo setup (not the restriction compared to a n/a setup). Most other turbo kit's I've seen only need ~ 12psi with a gt40p setup. The reason for him needing 16psi could be contributed to many things. It could possibly be the cheap turbo used or perhaps they never upgraded the valve springs from stock.

Here is the excerpt from the add...

"The newest install yielded 488 rear wheel hp and 666 rear wheel torque at 16psi, 10 degrees of timing and pump gas. The car had a stock 96 Explorer 5.0 longblock and only upgrade was a 65mm throttle body and a FMS B cam."
i noticed what the ad said,actually im guessing its not P heads cuz it said about being a 1996 explorer..but anyway,you're saying basically since its "forced" induction,the ####ty stock intake compared to the gt40 style doesnt make much diff anyway..

i would probably go with the mpt70 upgrade if i do end up buying this kit,along with a safe tune..the tuner really knows his ####..not much on their website,but the pic of his turbo racecar says enuff
http://www.psimotorsportsinc.com/

what kind of (flywheel)hp levels is the stock block capable of handling safely & reliably anyway, i forget...i'd rather it stay in one piece if ya know what i mean lol

post #13 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
i noticed what the ad said,actually im guessing its not P heads cuz it said about being a 1996 explorer..but anyway,you're saying basically since its "forced" induction,the ####ty stock intake compared to the gt40 style doesnt make much diff anyway..

i would probably go with the mpt70 upgrade if i do end up buying this kit,along with a safe tune..the tuner really knows his ####..not much on their website,but the pic of his turbo racecar says enuff
http://www.psimotorsportsinc.com/

what kind of (flywheel)hp levels is the stock block capable of handling safely & reliably anyway, i forget...i'd rather it stay in one piece if ya know what i mean lol
Mid 96 actually had the p heads (and is what those numbers are based off of). Also, explorers had a gt40 intake from the factory...so again, very close to the same setup you are using.

As for the upgrade...for sure do it. It's a much better turbo and will likely give you better results...with more dependability. I myself had once ran the p heads with my turbo setup...but after overboosting (hooked up boost controller improperly) to 18psi and lifting the heads they never sealed right again...and I continually was lifting them at 10psi. Be careful, get a good tune and use ARP studs all around.
post #14 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
link to these turbo kits?

1995 Mustang GT 410W|AFR 205s|10.8 C/R|Ed Curtis Custom Cam|Trickflor R Box Intake|T-56 Magnum
11.21 @ 123.33......10.23 @ 135.54 150 shot (so far)
post #15 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I sure as hell hope your upgrading the Wastegate and BOV to bigger/better units as the ones that come with the kit seem to be barely able to hold 500rwhp without creep. I'd also suggest looking into a bigger downpipe setup as you are going to be severely pushing the limits of a 3" unit at those power levels. Just some food for thought.
Yeah I've gone with the tial upgrade, and as far as the downpipe goes.....I've been thinking of a 4"dp with a 4" single exhaust system. We will see what happends!

92 Lx hatch, 331
90 7-Up
post #16 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
6-8 MONTHS and 10000 or so miles. Perfect so far..best buy for the money I found.
post #17 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy587 View Post
link to these turbo kits?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...Q5fAccessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro
6-8 MONTHS and 10000 or so miles. Perfect so far..best buy for the money I found.
good to know..is this a fox single turbo kit with the mild steel hotside parts?

Last edited by tripleblackvert; 08-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.
post #18 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mid 96 actually had the p heads (and is what those numbers are based off of). Also, explorers had a gt40 intake from the factory...so again, very close to the same setup you are using.
not trying to start a pissing match but i think it was mid-late 97 they switched to P heads..thats what ive seen from the 10 or so sets ive pulled myself and sold on here..and i know all about the explorer intakes as well..i think im getting confused by the car in his ad,which has a stock intake in the pics..but thats not the point right now though lol

either way 488rwhp would be fine by me haha

i have ARP head bolts in there now,should i switch to studs? what's the diff?

i have 100% faith in my tuner

Last edited by tripleblackvert; 08-13-2009 at 12:21 PM.
post #19 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
not trying to start a pissing match but i think it was mid-late 97 they switched to P heads..thats what ive seen from the 10 or so sets ive pulled myself and sold on here..and i know all about the explorer intakes as well..i think im getting confused by the car in his ad,which has a stock intake in the pics..but thats not the point right now though lol

No, I believe I was off for sure and mid 1997 sounds right. Regardless, he claims the combo was an explorer longblock with p heads...so his year may be wrong. The picture was from one of his previous installs...and I don't believe he offers any dyno numbers on a stock mustang 5.0 longblock.

You can keep the bolts in for now...but if you find yourself lifting the heads, the studs are going to give you a bit better clamping along with more precise torque.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #20 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
ive got tfs heads/e cam/ explorer intake with this kit. Got about 2500 miles of hell on it. havent dynoed it to see power, but i am using a timing lock device with a boost pressure switch to lock timing out when in boost and using a moates quarterhorse to add fuel. Only problem like stated before is the copper gaskets. I blew out three sets of header gaskets on the passenger side before switching to coppers. I had to make a copper gasket for my downpipe to exhaust housing out of a three bolt flange collector gasket. With the ten lb spring I am seeing 8 psi.
post #21 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I think the kit is great. Everything went together without a hitch, no problems at all. There is no need to copper RTV everything, just copper rtv the header to the head instad of using a gasket and youll be fine. Mine runs great with no problems. Im very happy with mine.

'93 Reef Blue Lx: On3 Turbo Kit
70mm Single Turbo, stock H/C bottem end
488rwhp 516rwtq
'04 Comp Orange Cobra, not stock
post #22 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...Q5fAccessories

good to know..is this a fox single turbo kit with the mild steel hotside parts?
SS fox. I wouldn't want a mild kit myself. Others here will debate that.
post #23 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:

I have found out a long time ago not to start any conversation with Millhouse unless you want to start a pissing match.
post #24 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post
I have found out a long time ago not to start any conversation with Millhouse unless you want to start a pissing match.
bawhahahahaha.. now thats some funny "stuff" right there !!

I like the looks of the SS but me myself have had bad luck with my SS hotside but IT IS NOT A ON3 KIT !!! I would like a SS cold side tho.

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #25 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM

I think some people forget that you get what you pay for, I have no expectations from this kit.....just want to make some power!

92 Lx hatch, 331
90 7-Up

Last edited by salley347; 08-13-2009 at 07:12 PM.
post #26 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red89coupe View Post
bawhahahahaha.. now thats some funny "stuff" right there !!

I like the looks of the SS but me myself have had bad luck with my SS hotside but IT IS NOT A ON3 KIT !!! I would like a SS cold side tho.
post #27 of 125 Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

now now,fight nice in my thread..i'd like this one to actuslly STAY ON TOPIC lol..you try to find out some info in all the other On3 threads and they all end up the same

so far the verdict seems to be that the kits are pretty good,especially for the price..i know ya get what you pay for,it's just the "actual paying for it" part that keeps me from getting alot of #### haha

is anyone using the "standard issue" turbo that came with the kit? like i said ill probably go mpt70 upgrade IF i decide to buy this,but just curious anyway..

post #28 of 125 Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 AM

I have the standard turbo. It works but I wish I wouild have upgraded. Mine seems to puff a little smoke no and again. Just enough to see it. Maybe the motor but I blame the turbo.
post #29 of 125 Old 08-14-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

cool good to know..

post #30 of 125 Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (35)
I made 548/533
h/c/i with 12psi but alot of timing, conservative street tune puts me down to about 508/480

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
post #31 of 125 Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gill View Post
I made 548/533
h/c/i with 12psi but alot of timing, conservative street tune puts me down to about 508/480
you have a B&G kit though right? i talked to Brian there,their kits start at roughly $1k more than the On3 stuff..i wouldnt even ask people's opinions if i had the scratch to buy from B&G,i'd just buy it without even thinking twice..

still some kick ass #'s...

post #32 of 125 Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (43)
Just get a BG turbo kit for like 2500-2800, its only 1000 more. Why have a problem over a grand, when you will lose everything, or possibly, in the future.

Quality, fast and cheap. Pick 2, or pick 3 and spend a few bucks.

Precision 67mm turbo, this and that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 125 Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

easier said than done..i love it when people say "its only another thousand dollars",like everyone has unlimited funds..

while it may be easy for you to throw down an extra $1k,its the diff between me being able to do something like this or not..that extra $1k diff is going to help me buy fuel system stuff and go toward a tune..i just cant afford anything more expensive at this time,and i'm no good at saving money,so dont suggest that either lol

like i said before, IF i had the money for a B&G kit,it would be on my car already, and i wouldnt need reviews on the On3 stuff

post #34 of 125 Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
We have one of the first gen kits on our 93 Fox and from what I've seen it's come a long way. Lots of upgrades and fixes based of off threads we made months ago. It still works and holds up in Guam weather of all places. So if it's good here it should be good anywhere.

05' GTO - M6 Impulse Blue/Blue
98' WS6 Racecar Project
sosmotorsports.com
post #35 of 125 Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
easier said than done..i love it when people say "its only another thousand dollars",like everyone has unlimited funds..

while it may be easy for you to throw down an extra $1k,its the diff between me being able to do something like this or not..that extra $1k diff is going to help me buy fuel system stuff and go toward a tune..i just cant afford anything more expensive at this time,and i'm no good at saving money,so dont suggest that either lol

like i said before, IF i had the money for a B&G kit,it would be on my car already, and i wouldnt need reviews on the On3 stuff
If you do the math, the On3 kit is pretty hard to beat....it's cheaper then buying an s-trim, way more efficient (imop) and takes about the same amount of difficulty to put on! Sure you may do upgrades down the road, that's the cool thing about this kit...you'll make gobbs of power with the bolt on kit and down the rd you have the option to make a lot more!
Once I have a handle on turbo's and tuning etc, I will be selling my kit to upgrade! If you wait a few months it might be worth your while!

92 Lx hatch, 331
90 7-Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement