I would like to know the same thing.

post #3 of 235 Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
+100000000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 235 Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
its not a on3 kit but its a SS304 set just like the on3 and they are cracking all over. treadstone hotside

Im on my 3rd time having the cracks welded up.

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #5 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Give the time and you'll start to see them. They really haven't been out long enough to say for sure, but they appear to be identical in quality both weld-wise and craftsmanship to the other cheap Chinese kit's that fail. I find it humorous when people hail the appearance of their welds and immediately think that it relates to strength.

Here is what is typical of the cheap kits.... http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=121736.0

You'll notice the weld quality and craftsmanship looks identical to what's found with on3's. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they are indeed manufactured by the same company. Also take notice that both of his headers cracked…and no amount of bracing was able to keep them from propagating.

This of course does not mean they are guaranteed to crack....but do you honestly feel that their kit’s are going to somehow succeed where all others have failed using the same manufacturing and materials? Again, give them a good year and see what happens. You’d be surprised how many cracks can develop in an exhaust while remaining undetectable by the driver.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #6 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Probably should be noted that On3 changed from SS to MS in the not so distant past. So if looking for examples of cracking, one should make sure they compare apples to apples and not say an On3 MS kit to an On3 SS kit.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
Probably should be noted that On3 changed from SS to MS in the not so distant past. So if looking for examples of cracking, one should make sure they compare apples to apples and not say an On3 MS kit to an On3 SS kit.
Changed to or now offers? At one point he claimed he was going to offer both SS and MS versions…with the MS version being an upgraded charge (who’d a thought MS would be cheaper than SS anyways ).
post #8 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Turbo Wizard

Either way, it still would not be an apples to apples comparisons to compare an SS to an MS even from the same company.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Either way, it still would not be an apples to apples comparisons to compare an SS to an MS even from the same company.
No doubt.
post #10 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
I find it humorous when people hail the appearance of their welds and immediately think that it relates to strength.

Here is what is typical of the cheap kits.... http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=121736.0

You’d be surprised how many cracks can develop in an exhaust while remaining undetectable by the driver.

LMFAO.. the first thing the guy who fixed my headers asked me was... "do you want it pretty or do you want it to stay together ??" lol I have seen the best looking welds break and the WORST looking ones hold forever lol

that is the exact set of header I have but mine have yet to explode like that lol prolly cuz mine have good welds holding them somewhat together lol Mine were "stitched up" lol

all 3 of the times I took mine off to be welded there were a few cracks I didnt see and I WAS looking. now I jack up the car and get the mag light out but there are still a few very hard to see areas.

post #11 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
Has anybody on here actually had one of there on3 performance headers
crack?
So far I guess your answer is no.
post #12 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIGBOOTSY View Post
So far I guess your answer is no.
Yeap but the same people are more than happy to always jump in and say how it WILL happen. Which I actually do not doubt that it will not happen but still would always be nice to be proven wrong.

--Admiral Aaron

post #13 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Yeap but the same people are more than happy to always jump in and say how it WILL happen. Which I actually do not doubt that it will not happen but still would always be nice to be proven wrong.
If I leave my exhaust un-supported over a few years, I bet mine will crack. But that would be my fault.

Its hard to say what could happen, its easy to say what has happened.

I have used cheaper n20 kits for years, but if you use too big of a jet, or have a fuel pump problem, is that the kits fault, or the drivers?
post #14 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIGBOOTSY View Post
If I leave my exhaust un-supported over a few years, I bet mine will crack. But that would be my fault.

Its hard to say what could happen, its easy to say what has happened.

I have used cheaper n20 kits for years, but if you use too big of a jet, or have a fuel pump problem, is that the kits fault, or the drivers?
When the selonoid in a cheap N2O kit prematurely blows up, that is the cheap kits fault. When too thin of a material is used in a header and is welded together inproperly, when it cracks that is the kits fault. Now so far there seems to be zero examples of how the on3 kit cracks, yet sure are a ton of people willing to bash them for what they foresee as an unavoidable future.

--Admiral Aaron

post #15 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
When the selonoid in a cheap N2O kit prematurely blows up, that is the cheap kits fault. When too thin of a material is used in a header and is welded together inproperly, when it cracks that is the kits fault. Now so far there seems to be zero examples of how the on3 kit cracks, yet sure are a ton of people willing to bash them for what they foresee as an unavoidable future.

I agree totally
post #16 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Somehow my unsupported, flipped stock shorties with T3 flanges and exhaust tubing welded on have not cracked. If that does not crack, I would hope a bonafide kit would not.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #17 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 PM

As I've said before..give them a year or two. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck...it's probably a mudder-eff'ing duck.
post #18 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

So they are looking pretty decent so far...I see cartech also uses 304ss and has been for many years.
post #19 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
Somehow my unsupported, flipped stock shorties with T3 flanges and exhaust tubing welded on have not cracked. If that does not crack, I would hope a bonafide kit would not.
Erich
Are those a 400 grade stainless or mild steel? I bought the robots at ford did a better job welding those headers and maybe even better material selection after all they had to last a min or five years or fifty thousand miles by federal law.

--Admiral Aaron

post #20 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
So they are looking pretty decent so far...I see cartech also uses 304ss and has been for many years.
Almost twenty years ago Cartech came out with the street sleeper kit for the fox body. That kit was not significantly different than it is today. It was initially mild steel though and had big time cracking issues. Their solution was to start making it in stainless and 304 to be exact. The stainless sometimes still cracked and many speculated it was due to using the wrong filler and some think it was from hot spots due to the header design. Their outlaw kits were 304 for the longest time and did not have those cracking issues. Turbo Technology Inc almost exclusively uses 304 as did the very late Turbo Engineering. All of the companies I mentioned made kits at least 15 years ago and the kits that can be found that are that old are not cracked. But they are each designed differently and each fabricated differently so to say they worked so any 304 kit should work would be wrong.

--Admiral Aaron

post #21 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
until i see proof of an on3performance kit cracking, all these people talking crap are simply misinformed haters
post #22 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1KILR View Post
until i see proof of an on3performance kit cracking, all these people talking crap are simply misinformed haters
I would be surprised if they did not but I do agree in that all of the people constantly bashing them are misinformed haters. Been watching this for 5+ years online ever since some new companies got to the market and did solely mild steel and claimed left and right that if you do 304 it will crack, which is total BS. 304 cracks but only when done wrong for the application, but so does freakin mild steel you just don't see that happen as often.

--Admiral Aaron

post #23 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1KILR View Post

Thats EXACTLY what I said about mine, took a year and a half to get first hand proof lol I was like everyone is just hatin on the SS304 but sure enough they were right...

SAD thing is it has NOTHING to do with them being SS 304 !! plenty of SS304 kits hold up so long as the material is thick enough and they are welded correctly.... like mine NEVER crack where they were re-welded with the correct filler rod, only the "stock" welds crack... oh and I think my cold side pipes are thicker then the thin walled SS304 my headers were made from which does NOT help lol

Im not saying this WILL happen to the on3 kits but they look EXACTLY like mine and there is a 99.9% chance they were welded up at the same Chinese slave labor camp lmao

post #24 of 235 Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by red89coupe View Post

Im not saying this WILL happen to the on3 kits but they look EXACTLY like mine and there is a 99.9% chance they were welded up at the same Chinese slave labor camp lmao
They typically use robots and not even slaves :P

--Admiral Aaron

post #25 of 235 Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I have beat the piss out of mine daily for several months with no problems. I would never install a mild steel kit. I went down that road with Cartech years ago. Pure pain. I like the On3 kit and would recommend it to anyone wanting a kit worth the money.
post #26 of 235 Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Are those a 400 grade stainless or mild steel? I bought the robots at ford did a better job welding those headers and maybe even better material selection after all they had to last a min or five years or fifty thousand miles by federal law.
They are the regular stock 5.0 ones. They must be stainless. They turn dark but don't really rust. Yeah, it is likely Ford had some decent material available. They did have to warrenty them.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #27 of 235 Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Turbo Wizard

They are 400 grade, I realized that after I replied yesterday.

--Admiral Aaron

post #28 of 235 Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 AM

post #29 of 235 Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (35)
Turboforums is so biased its not worth going over their.... too many nutswingers

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
post #30 of 235 Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gill View Post
Turboforums is so biased its not worth going over their.... too many nutswingers
Many are biased for good reason. That particular on3 kit only took 3 months to crack. I'd venture to say there are many out there with the 302ss kit who have cracked headers and don't even realize it. Here is a big FAT I TOLD YOU SO to all of the nay-sayers who were nutswinging from the cheap POS kit. Time will tell if his mild steel kit's will hold up. My guess is...if they are using the same welding techniques, cheap steel and cheap labor....nothing is going to stop them from cracking.

Now to find out how Chad's customer service is.
post #31 of 235 Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
Many are biased for good reason. That particular on3 kit only took 3 months to crack. I'd venture to say there are many out there with the 302ss kit who have cracked headers and don't even realize it. Here is a big FAT I TOLD YOU SO to all of the nay-sayers who were nutswinging from the cheap POS kit. Time will tell if his mild steel kit's will hold up. My guess is...if they are using the same welding techniques, cheap steel and cheap labor....nothing is going to stop them from cracking.

Now to find out how Chad's customer service is.
How can they be biased for good reason? Because one or two kits have failed, or because everyone over their apparently went to school for metallurgy?

Every product in the world has failures, 1 or 2 documented failures over the course of a thousand kits isnt that bad.

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
post #32 of 235 Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
How can they be biased for good reason? Because one or two kits have failed, or because everyone over their apparently went to school for metallurgy?

Every product in the world has failures, 1 or 2 documented failures over the course of a thousand kits isnt that bad.
Biased because they have seen the same identical thing time and time again. A cheap Chinese kit comes out....people start buying them like crazy and they start to fail like no other. What usually happens is said company goes under or just plain won’t support the warranty claims....and people are left with a garbage kit that needs re-welding every few months.

No doubt that many products have failures, but these kit's have been out for a very short amount of time. I've been saying it all along, give these kits another year and watch them fall. I'm actually surprised that particular kit had such a catastrophic failure in such a short time. What's likely to happen in another year or two is.....people will start wondering where that annoying exhaust leak is coming from that they dealt with for months. They'll take the headers off and discover what the individual did in the thread posted.
post #33 of 235 Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:

It's the internet, man. Everyone is an expert when they post. Didn't you know?!
post #34 of 235 Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I understand millhouse that you don't like the kit for whatever reason, but the pics I saw did not show a failure of the welds, but instead to me it looks like he overheated the pipes and blew through it. I would think that for his power level he needed a bigger DP, and was overheating the primaries. Several people have had the kit longer with more miles on them with no problems so there must be some other problem.

I doubt it is the 1 5/8" tube size.

I also don't see it as an across the board part quality problem as several other people are using the kit daily (lots more people will want this kit for that vs racing alone) with no problems to speak of. I mean 50 miles and 11 passes? To fail that quick means there are some other inputs that caused this to me, as other people have thousands miles on them.

Lets save throwing someone under the bus until we have all the info.

Chris

1993 Notch HCI /1994 Lightning / 1973 F250 Hiboy/ 1986 Omni GLH /
1994 Cummins 3500 / 1997 Cummins 3500 /1980 F250 6cyl
post #35 of 235 Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8LiterImportEater View Post
I understand millhouse that you don't like the kit for whatever reason, but the pics I saw did not show a failure of the welds, but instead to me it looks like he overheated the pipes and blew through it. I would think that for his power level he needed a bigger DP, and was overheating the primaries. Several people have had the kit longer with more miles on them with no problems so there must be some other problem.

I doubt it is the 1 5/8" tube size.

I also don't see it as an across the board part quality problem as several other people are using the kit daily (lots more people will want this kit for that vs racing alone) with no problems to speak of. I mean 50 miles and 11 passes? To fail that quick means there are some other inputs that caused this to me, as other people have thousands miles on them.

Lets save throwing someone under the bus until we have all the info.

Chris
Fair enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread